ShinyMagpie

Tarte sold out to a company that tests on animals...

[ Edited ]

This is their Facebook status: 

To all of our tartelettes: As you may have heard, tarte has recently been acquired by Japanese company KOSÉ. It’s truly been an amazing ride, from the little venture Maureen Kelly started in her bedroom 15 years ago to the global powerhouse we’re privileged to join. Our vision has always been to create beauty products that are ‘healthy treats for your skin,’ foster the highest level of customer service and give back to the community and the environment. By joining the KOSÉ family and adding to that rich portfolio, we can build on what we’ve already accomplished with powerful products and explore expanding the tarte brand in new and exciting countries. And rest assured, we are committed to remaining a cruelty-free brand and will not test on animals. Maureen will stay on as the CEO and looks forward to continuing a lasting relationship with our tartelettes.

xo, the tarte team!

While they claim they will remain cruelty free the new parent company KOSÉ DOES test on animals. 

So extremely disappointing that Maureen decided to become a big sellout like so many other brands that start out with good intentions but cave into the money. No ethics after all I guess. 

I can't post outside links but go ahead and google "KOSÉ animal testing" and see for yourself. :smileysad: :smileysad: :smileysad: 

inmm

Re: Tarte sold out to a company that tests on animals...

Just because the parent company tests on animals doesn't mean that Tarte will start testing on animals. With some corporations, the sub-brands have a lot of autonomy. As long as Maureen is still in charge, I will continue to trust Tarte. In fact, if Tarte becomes a big profit-maker for Kosé, Maureen may be able to use her influence to stop animal testing for some of Kosé's other brands.

The Body Shop was bought by L'Oréal about 10 years ago. At the time, there were a lot of fears that they would abandon their commitment to not testing on animals. But that hasn't happened, and in fact Anita Roddick, founder of The Body Shop, has said that she's used her influence within L'Oréal to reduce the animal testing they do on their other products.

Askenjuri

[ Edited ]

Anita Roddick died some years ago.  I doubt her wishes have any influence on L'Oreal.

It's really disturbing to constantly run up against the fact that everything is owned by the multinational corporations.  However good you may think a given company is, follow the money, and you'll usually end up at one of the corps, who will do whatever it takes to make the billions.  And, don't forget, L'Oreal was a company headed by an anti-Semite that collaborated with the N@zees during the occupation of France.  So the idea of finding some morals there is ridiculous.

I think the best one can do is try to limit the money you give to, ultimately, the parent company.  I love my L'Oreal Voluminous mascara and Feria hair color, and I use certain products from Aveda, and have since the 1980's.  While I'll be on the lookout for new products to replace those from problematic companies, how many free, independent makeup brands are there?  The names posted here are only a partial list of companies owned by these Evil Empires, and so many of them are unfortunately carried at Sephora and in every chain drugstore in your vicinity.  

OK, now I'm depressed.  I think I'm going to go shave my head and buy nothing but fair trade coconut oil for my lips and skIn for the rest of my life!  That's the only way I can think of to stay non-harming in today's world!

glossforevery1

I don't think they would lie, they could be faced with a lawsuit. I'm sure in this buying and as they stated Tarte WILL remain cruelty free. Meaning their products will NOT be tested on animals so I don't see the problem with not wanting to purchase from them. I understand the Kose company may test their products on animals but if Tarte is saying their brand will not partake in this practice then I believe them. At the end of the day the world is about money and success, but they are still staying true to their promise and I respect that. Ultimately this is going to mean more products, faster, better quality, cheaper, etc because they are expanding. Business is business, everyone is entitled to make their own personal choice and that's the good thing. I myself just purchased the Rainforest After Dark Palette and will continue to purchase from Tarte and their amazing company.

blackunicorn

(0) Hearts

I don't think you should worry about it too much. I tend to see the glass half-full, and I am absolutely certain there must be an agreement between Maureen and Kosé. After all, she will still be running the company. You cannot change a company's motto like that, I am sure Tarte's products will continue to be cruelty-free.

wpld

(0) Hearts

Wow.  I finally found a  beauty company that I really liked after giving up my other products that do test on animals.  So tired of searching and everything always changing.

lylysa

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Though it can be frustrating to discover such news and changes, it's inevitable that things will change (whether it's for the better or worse) within a company. There are many great resources, including the lovely folks here on BT who take the time to share what they learn to ensure we're all kept as up to date and informed as well as possible. 

gogreyhound

good heavens.I guess everyone has their price. So much for having her own wonderful company! It is getting harder and harder to find companies that don't animal test or  use fragrances/potential toxins/other yukky crap...and good luck finding both!  I didn't realize EL is such a world-dominating conglomerate! yikes!  Remember the positive--last week the UK passed laws against animal testing!! Maybe in another two hundred years America will catch up.  ...I am off to crush some roots and berries for makeup now.... heavy sigh

melanito

That pic of the rabbits being in the wooden confinement structure (stocks?) is horrible.  How can Maureen sleep at night with that choice?

melanito

Wow, I just heard about this and can't believe they sold to a brand who there currently is a change.org petition for to stop animal testing.  I will no longer be shopping for Tarte. They were one of my go to brands.  I just can't believe they couldn't have found a different buyer who would have respected their values.  Sad day!

DitzCore

I'm not going to Google about it because I just know it's going to make me sad. :smileysad:

I'm pretty disappointed with Tarte right now. They have always been a brand I respected for no animal cruelty/testing. With a new company purchasing it out it's only a matter of time. . .

Londonlover101

these poor animals, I wish I could go in there set all of them free and then punch all those people in their faces.

1SultrySCENTNut

(0) Hearts

I will stste I love bunnies not just because they are cute at easter, they are cute 24 years aroung, I spent 15 years as a Show Rabbit advisor ffor 4 -H, Startd with Mini-Rex moving to Lion Head...they are clean, lived inside, had immaculatly clean litter boxes, etter than cats..and No Mess!

1SultrySCENTNut

(0) Hearts

I am not likin this I just said I loved TARTE 4 in 1 Eyeshadows, as well I I was as in as love with my Dior Show, and 3rd, toss up between Shashbox and Dolce and Gabana ( D & G has a thick, sicky consistency and a very odd shaped brush...I am in love with Dior Show, so till my order goes in April, I will just gave to be carefull how much I use and pray for other samples to pull me hrough..

Im Sickened!

annec322

[ Edited ]

Yes, I agree with dannyc. I believe Dior does animal testing according to my research as well. Which is why I will no longer be buying their mascara. It was my HG product until I became aware of all this...but no more. Smashbox does animal testing as well, as they are owned by Estée Lauder (sells in China), though I believe they are on PETAs cruelty free list for within the US.

And P&G seems to be just about the cruelest company in existence with animal testing. According to my online research, P&G has tortured poor little bunnies until the chemicals hollowed out their heads and rotted their intestines. And no, they don't even bother with any pain meds. Disgusting!  Seriously, P&G can go screw themselves as far as I'm concerned! End rant.

DTalksAll

Dior tests on animals, D&G is owned by P&G, so what's your point about Tarte? 

YouAreAlways

Ugh everytime I scroll I see the bunnies, so sad..so close to easter. 

Plantgarden

[ Edited ]

Great reminder though!!!

And really,.... Easter has nothing to do with bunnies, unless of course you are Pagan,..but then if you are Pagan you wouldn't be involved with Easter.  :smileywink:

Thank you Magpie!!!

Another 100 hearts :heart:

YouAreAlways

Dude. The bunnies bring the eggs! The CHOCOLATE eggs. :smileytongue:

tracygirl64

This is so disappointing! :smileysad:

Plantgarden

[ Edited ]

Yep,...and look at the little bunny on the bottom,....and these are new bunnies.

Sad, very, very Sad.   That is how the bunnies spend their lives.

On lock down,..can't scratch, move, lie down, etc. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 49 replies
  • 143 hearts
  • 36 in conversation
    • melissa93
    • DTalksAll
    • melanito
    • chupi
    • tehprincessjenn
    • emmaclaire