ShinyMagpie

Tarte sold out to a company that tests on animals...

[ Edited ]

This is their Facebook status: 

To all of our tartelettes: As you may have heard, tarte has recently been acquired by Japanese company KOSÉ. It’s truly been an amazing ride, from the little venture Maureen Kelly started in her bedroom 15 years ago to the global powerhouse we’re privileged to join. Our vision has always been to create beauty products that are ‘healthy treats for your skin,’ foster the highest level of customer service and give back to the community and the environment. By joining the KOSÉ family and adding to that rich portfolio, we can build on what we’ve already accomplished with powerful products and explore expanding the tarte brand in new and exciting countries. And rest assured, we are committed to remaining a cruelty-free brand and will not test on animals. Maureen will stay on as the CEO and looks forward to continuing a lasting relationship with our tartelettes.

xo, the tarte team!

While they claim they will remain cruelty free the new parent company KOSÉ DOES test on animals. 

So extremely disappointing that Maureen decided to become a big sellout like so many other brands that start out with good intentions but cave into the money. No ethics after all I guess. 

I can't post outside links but go ahead and google "KOSÉ animal testing" and see for yourself. :smileysad: :smileysad: :smileysad: 

StyleLynn

Re: Tarte sold out to a company that tests on animals...

If Tarte is saying that they are going to remain cruelty free and continue to not test on animals then I'm going to take their word for it until they give me reason not too.

veropie

(0) Hearts

Plantgarden is right. The reason we stop supporting companies whose parent companies participate in animal testing is because your dollars are funding the parent company and thus funding the animal testing. Especially since Kose now holds a 93.5% stake in Tarte. 

Plantgarden

That's not the point.  Anything you buy now from Tarte goes into the big machine of KOSE which in turns go towards animal testing. :smileysad:

YouAreAlways

Sing it

annec322

[ Edited ]

I found this helpful list on the site My Beauty Bunny!

List of Beauty Brands Selling in China (a country that REQUIRES animal testing)

American Beauty (EL)
Aramis (EL)
Aveda (EL) – according to Aveda, they are not in China, but maintain that they do follow laws that require animal testing
Avon
Bobbi Brown (EL)
Bumble and Bumble (EL)
Caudalie
Clinique (EL)
Coach (EL)
Darphin (EL)
Donna Karan (EL)
Ermenegildo Zegna (EL)
Estee Lauder (EL)
Flirt (EL)
GoodSkin Labs (EL)
Grassroots Research Labs (EL)
Jo Malone (EL)
Kiton (EL)
La Mer (EL)
Lab Series for Men (EL)
L’Occitane
MAC (EL)
Mary Kay
Michael Kors (EL)
Missoni (EL)
Ojon (EL)
Origins (EL)
Pangea Organics
Prescriptives (EL)
Revlon
Sean John (EL)
Smashbox (EL)
Tom Ford (EL)
Tommy Hilfiger (EL)
Urban Decay (Urban Decay has decided NOT to sell in China! Yay!)
Yves Rocher

EL = owned by Estee Lauder

melissa93

(0) Hearts

Don't forget 100% pure :smileyhappy:

tehprincessjenn

(0) Hearts

THEY DID WHAT?!? :smileysad: 

YouAreAlways

Wow Estée lauder. I will be staying away. 

Chickibum

Thank you so much for posting this list

Panda168

Wow... thank for you posting this list. I had no idea. :-/

IAmLadyLiterary

I am so torn!  This is extremely disappointing to hear but my personal stance on cruelty free is I will buy products from body shop, urban decay, hurts bees, etc because they are cruelty free even if their parent company is not.  This is just my personal feelings.

Still that is so not okay!  They were one of the best cruelty free brands, why go sell out to one that is not?  And if their products expand into China they will be off all cruelty free lists.

ladymeag

I think supporting non-testing/cruelty-free subsidiaries of larger parent companies shows those parent companies that what we really want is bunny-safe beauty. :smileyhappy: 

veropie

(0) Hearts

I think we can all appreciate everyone's right to make their own decision, and it is a personal choice, but unfortunately for many of us it is impossible not to realize that every dollar you spend on these subsidiaries goes to the parent company and thus to animal testing. Your money will go towards funding animal testing whether it is for the supposed 'cruelty-free' subsidiaries or for the parent company. Either way the bunnies being tested on do not see the difference and thus Tarte is no more bunny-safe than Kose or Estee Lauder.

Plantgarden

Sry, I don't see it that way.   And they don't see it that way.  They see the bottom line.  They have no idea why you buy Tarte,...for all they know your name could be Tarte and you like seeing your name on the packaging. 

IAmLadyLiterary

Thanks ladymeag!  That is what I think, I refuse to buy L'Oreal but I love body shop and UD because they still like bunnies!

9feproofearmuff

(0) Hearts

If they liked bunnies that much they both wouldn't have sold out to companies who do test on them!

UD was my favorite brand ever-as soon as they sold out, I boycotted their line. I am doing the same with Tarte, who quickly became my new favorite after.

There are plenty of 100% cruelty free options, there is no need to give money to these cruel **bleep** in any way. I don't care how good  a product is, it's never good enough to destroy the lives of innocent animals.

Urbie

ugh.  NOT cool, tarte!!!

annec322

[ Edited ]

This is very upsetting news.  Thanks for sharing.

garnett

How does a company committed to being cruelty free sell itself to a company that is not?  It's called prostitution. Does MK say to herself " I will do ANYTHING for a  price.  $$$  I will sell my principles, my ethics, my integrity. I guess they weren't  worth that much anyway."

Even if they gave her a contract that states they will do everything to try to keep the brand cruelty free, doesn't it bother her that the parent company does not value this?  

I don't condemn anyone for wanting to turn their hard work into a big payout but couldn't you have found a buyer that stood on common ground?  

emmaclaire

I agree with your sentiments for the most part, but this isn't prostitution.  It's morally deplorable and shows a serious lack of ethics (and dignity!) but it's not prostitution.  I'm sorry to sound so nit-picky, I just have a big problem with people who use terms that have specific, sexually violative definitions to describe other things.  Carry on, all!

chupi

Thanks for the info! The responses to that on Facebook are blowing up.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 49 replies
  • 143 hearts
  • 36 in conversation
    • melissa93
    • DTalksAll
    • melanito
    • chupi
    • tehprincessjenn
    • emmaclaire