Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

THE BATH, BODY & NAIL CARE THREAD

A place to discuss anything relating to body care. Formerly known as the THE HAIR, NAILS AND BODY CARE THREAD

Ask a question, post a review, share your favorite products, tips or tricks... anything goes and is welcomed!

Bathbodytr.jpg

Re: THE HAIR, NAILS AND BODY CARE THREAD

@Asche  yeah even after much rinsing it didn't matter I just couldn't get my hair to look nice. It was a dirty hot mess lol 😄

@veronika23 I'm sorry this didn't work out for you! I decided to give it a try recently and actually really like it. My hair seems fairly similar to yours, but it has been chemically lightened. I also wash it about twice a week.  I do use this as my first cleanse though, and I use another cleansing conditioner for my second, so that could be part of it. That's always how I wash my hair though, with two cleanses. 

@alexasteph  oh I'm glad it works for you.  I only use one so maybe that's why it works for you.  I used to use just shampoo and conditioner and then decided to try HIF and really loved it but when it came time to repurchase it was OOS and the company couldn't give me an answer... horrible CS. So I got frustrated and decided to try this one but it didn't work for me and so I decided to grab the only HIF in stock which is hydration support.  It seemed similar to the anti-frizz support.  So we shall see how that one goes.  I didn't want to go back to my shampoo and conditioner lol

@veronika23 I don't blame you! I haven't used regular shampoo and conditioner for probably 3 or 4 years. It's the only thing that does't make my hair super damages from all the lightening I've put it through! 

@alexasteph  oh that's good to know! I haven't colored my hair in years... but when I did I used to be able to keep it healthy. I had tried Wen way back when but that didn't work out either... Guess I'll see how I do with this new HIF but hope the Anti-Frizz support comes back in stock soon 😄

3.JPG

Sam MckNight

Spoiler
When Sam McKnight was developing the first samples for his eponymous line of hair products, he used Charlotte Tilbury and Kate Moss to test if he was on the right track with his vision for easy-to-use, scented and light products.

“When the first samples arrived, they came in white unbranded bottles. Without saying anything, I just spritzed some of the product in the air during a shoot I was doing with Charlotte at Kate’s house,” said McKnight. “They both started asking where that smell is coming from and how much they liked it, so I thought if those two approve, I’m onto something.”

The result, a collection of four styling products, launched at Liberty London on Wednesday, to equally positive reviews.

The project has been a long time coming for McKnight, one of the most trusted collaborators of designers such as Karl Lagerfeld, Vivienne Westwood and Dries van Noten, among others: “I spent many years helping other people develop products, adapting those products and promoting them, so I’ve always been thinking that I need to do my own and create something that relates to the work I’ve been doing backstage over the last 40 years.”

Even though the products are a response to the needs and requests McKnight has been getting when creating looks for the catwalk or for magazine editorials, his focus was to create products that are easy to use and will enable women to create different hairstyles on their own.

“This is to enable people to do their own hair. I love it when hair looks effortless, like you just did it yourself. It’s about handing over the power by supplying women with the right tools and information,” said the hairstylist, adding that the first drop of products address needs that he had been wanting to fulfill for years and aim to enable women to recreate a series of cool, contemporary looks.

They include the “Lazy Girl,” an almost invisible dry shampoo that also adds weight to the hair; the “Cool Girl,” a texturising spray that creates the highly-requested undone, textured style Kate Moss is known for; the “Modern Hairspray,” a multitasking hair spray that can be used when curling, straightening or adding volume to the hair, and the “Easy-Up Do” a spray that aims to help customers add texture and use less pins when creating up-dos.

McKnight explained that he named each product after the look or function it corresponds to and put a lot of emphasis on creating light products that can be easily layered and have an appealing scent. For the scents he worked alongside perfumer Lyn Harris, who picked different flowers from his garden to develop woody, understated scents for each product.

“We developed light, easy formulas that won’t weigh down the hair. You can brush them out or build them up,” added McKnight.

Prices range from 19 pounds, or $24, to 25 pounds, or $32.

The packaging was another focus for the hairstylist who aimed to create a more fashion-forward, glamorous aesthetic to his packaging. The cans come in playful pastel pink or light blue shades and the packaging features a sleek logo and in some cases playful illustrations; to highlight the functions of the “easy up-do” the packaging features illustrations of hair pins for instance.

3.JPG

“I’m after the glamorous style that has kind of gone out of our business, I feel that packaging in the hair business has gotten a little flat. When you look on the shelves, there’s nothing interesting in terms of color, while the packaging and look of makeup brands has really escalated. That’s why I wanted to do something that looks incredibly chic for a start and has a strong point of view,” said McKnight. “There’s more to come and some of the packaging for the upcoming products might come as a surprise.”

McKnight added that he was drawn to Liberty London to launch his debut products for its well-curated beauty space. “There’s nothing quite like it and it has great heritage, like myself,” he added.

As the line expands, he aims to also grow his retail network, although he declined to give any details. Among his immediate plans is the launch of a new web site, which will be used as a platform to showcase how to use the products and share styling tips through video content.

"Hair by Sam McKnight" exhibition Somerset House

“What I like to do is to get women do their own hair on the web site. There will be videos of me and my team doing it, too, but I also want to get them doing it own their own because this hasn’t been addressed that well. Yes, you can get the typical Instagram hair styles but I want to add a more fashion-focused perspective,” he added.

The launch comes a few months after the launch of an exhibition that chronicled McKnight’s work over the years, highlighting famous styles he created from the Chanel braided ponytails during the fall 2014 show to Princess Diana’s effortless short cut.

“What was unexpected about the exhibition was the enthusiasm from the younger generation. It opened up a new audience for us and it was touching and encouraging for me, ahead of our product launch. It’s great to be able to elevate our craft, which doesn’t always get the same exposure and positive attention as the hair industry.”

I hope this is the right place to ask - I'm looking for a new curling iron. My twelve-year-old workhorse is dying a lukewarm death. 

My hair is long-ish, coarse/dry/fine/basically a nightmare. I use a 1 1/2" barrel to make basic white lady waves, nothing special. Any recommendations are appreciated!

@fairlywell  perfect place to ask 🙂 That's an awesome recommendation you got!  I am very tempted by the color of that iron @ZombieMetroAnt!  

I just want to add that I love Bio Ionic tools. My models are very old and probably not available anymore but if they ever break I am going back to that brand. They are pricey but was well worth it for me. Just wanted to give you a different brand to look up 🙂

@veronika23 I actually ended up ordering a Bio Ionic iron because I wanted a ceramic coating and the reviews were great! Good to know it's a good brand. 

@fairlywell  that's awesome!  Please come back and let us know how you like it!  Yes I LOVE that brand. While I have tools from other brands the main ones are Bio Ionic.. even though I haven't been using my tools all that much. Just too hot now 😄 but very happy with the performance and durability and all.  I hope you'll like it! 🙂

@fairlywell your hair sounds similar to mine.  Mine is also pin straight and like me, very stubborn - it refuses to hold a curl.  

Last Nov, based on a friend's recommendation I got this one from Ulta, and I gotta say, it hasn't disappointed.  

curl.JPG

curl1.JPG

Hope that helps Heart  

Rainbow! 😍Thanks for the rec @ZombieMetroAnt ! The funny thing is that my 12 year old standby was also Hot Tools (ceramic). Don't mess with a good thing unless you can make it RAINBOW GOLD, right?

😁😂

Clearly you're a gal with good taste 😬 @fairlywell

I was eyeing this one because it's so pretty but I'm glad it has great recommendations too! 

YAY @myumew !  I'm glad it helped....my coworkers hair is always flawless so I just HAD to get my grubby lil' paws on it. Cat LOL

Cross posting this from the Deciem thread.

Last update for HIF Anti-Frizz support.  I really love this product but it's sold out on their site as well as well.ca. The Bay who also carries HIF doesn't have it. I am frustrated with the brand and poor customer service.  I would purchase again and again but their lack of response just really upsets me so I decided to give another brand a shot. Also their packaging might be nice but not functional when you are at the end of the tube...  gotta keep function in mind when designing... Just very frustrated with them at this point.

So I decided to go with IGK Smoke & Mirrors.  Anyone tried this one before? Thoughts?

Let me know if you want me to pick this up for you from the Deciem store. They are at my local mall and I will be there Sunday so I can check if they have it in stock @veronika23

@Anewxa.Thanks for the offer :). I purchased the IGK for now... maybe I will like it better.  I am just so turned off by their CS... why should I buy from a brand that doesn't care about their customers. I'll just take my money elsewhere. lol

No worries! @veronika23

I totally get it. I am trying to deal with cs as well..One of my foundations from The Ordinary order came with a broken pump..they now want me to send a whole lot of detailed pictures of it and how I am unable to use the product and if it causes leakage then of that as well..and then they will "submit" to some department for review. I just didn't bother for a $6 product. 

@Anewxa.wow! That's nuts! I've had products arrive damaged from different companies and by far the best CS I ever had was Chapters and Well.ca.  It also happened a few times that stuff went on sale like a few days after my purchase and they refunded me the difference. Basically it's like I got it on sale. I've never seen cs like that. They are definitely at the top of the list.  I never had a problem with my NPC orders but their cs is great too. I always get quick answers when I want to know about a release or if they still have a product in stock. Much better service than Harlow & Co.  I can't stand bad service and I think Deciem did themselves a great disservice by acting the way they did. Not really interested in their brand all that much now so I hope I can find a great replacement for my HIF. 🙂

Not sure where is your location, but if you live near the GTA, you may be able to find this line in Square One, as Deciem has a store on the second level? I was there last week and was able to find that product there. Maybe try there?

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos56
  • IMG_3160.JPG
  • tooth.JPG
  • tooth1.JPG
  • nail.JPG
  • nail5.JPG
  • nail3.JPG
  • nail4.JPG
  • nail2.JPG
  • Capture.PNG