THE HAIR, NAILS AND BODY CARE THREAD

[ Edited ]

A place to discuss anything relating to body care, hair care and nails.

Ask a question, post a review, share your favorite products, tips or tricks... anything goes and is welcomed!

col.jpg

Re: THE HAIR, NAILS AND BODY CARE THREAD

00000000000.JPG

coco.JPG

Spoiler
It’s no secret that coconut oil has become a beauty staple many of us keep in rotation year-round. The multi-tasking oil can do it all, including soothing dry skin, acting as a makeup brush cleaner, even moonlighting as a tooth whitener. Is there anything it can’t do? According to some folks on the internet, the answer is (surprisingly) yes.

Reddit user sleepypuff writes, "Does anyone else's hair get MORE dry feeling from using coconut oil? Everyone LOVES coconut oil but me!" User jelbee adds, "Anytime I see coconut oil hailed as a miracle moisturizer for locks, I remember my own experience. Dead straw hair, the opposite of my goal. If you've never used it, beware." While there’s no denying coconut oil’s versatility, when it comes to your hair, the miracle marvel could perhaps be doing more harm than good. "I can't use coconut oil. I can't even buy any hair products that has coconut oil in it," writes ladyAnderkinky, who had to swear off coconut oil completely. They're not the only ones who have noticed. Youtube hair guru Naptural85 has done a video on the perils of coconut oil on her hair.

As New York City dermatologist Francesca Fusco points out, "Coconut oil indeed penetrates the shaft of hair deeper than most oils. And one study demonstrated that it can reduce protein loss, too." But that's benefit is exactly why, for some people, coconut oil can cause dryness.

"The reason some people experience dryness with coconut oil — especially when using it alone as a treatment — is that it can penetrate the hair cuticle, taking up space within the strands," says cosmetic chemist Ni'Kita Wilson. "This means that when you're wetting your hair, there's less space for water, which means that hair doesn't get as saturated as it would without the coconut oil." However, if your hair is on the porous side, you're less likely to end up with the dry, straw-like consistency that some have experienced.

"Low porosity hair has tightly closed cuticles that repel water (adding proteins on top of this makes wetting out the hair so much more difficult)," Wilson explains. "Hair with high porosity means that the cuticles are open allowing moisture to flow in and out of the strand (sometimes too fast)" It's possible that your hair's porosity could contribute to its coconut oil sensitivity.

"It's great for very porous hair because it prevents water from rushing into the strands too fast causing excessive swelling, which is bad because it puts undue stress on the cuticle by lifting it up," says Wilson. "But for low porosity hair, it's hard enough to get water into the strands, so if you have coconut oil taking up space, then hair may not get the moisture that it needs, therefore, it dries out."

Hairstylist Nathaniel Hawkins mentions that hair oils are supposed to "make the hair flexible, and with flexibility comes strength," so if coconut oil is not cutting it for your strands, it might be time to revive dry hair with a different natural treatment. Hawkins suggests to "look for oils that are liquid at room temperature, like jojoba and argan oils," to achieve better results.

But don't despair if you still love coconut oil and can't use it on your hair. There are a plethora of other ways to use it in your beauty routine, so that big jar you've got stashed in your bathroom cabinet doesn't have to go to waste.

Thanks for posting @ZombieMetroAnt!  Coconut oil can be good but not a do it all miracle worker Smiley Very Happy

@veronika23 LIES! ALL LIES! 😂😂 you know I'm joking Smiley Wink I'm such a coconut conspiracy nut. I use it on everything, even my face which everyone says is a huge no no. I'm like the one freak that can use it on any body part. Remember the Windex from My Big Fat Greek Wedding? That's me, just replace the Windex with coconut oil LOL. 

@pixiedust2  hahahaha I mean it is a good one to have and I've also used it on my face without any problems but I can see how it doesn't work for everything and everyone.  Uhhh I never saw that movie Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy

Just had to post these cute nails. The nail polishes used are in the spoiler below.  I like Pretty Serious Cosmetics... a few more colors on the way Smiley Very Happy

Anyone know a hack on how to do the marbling like in the first pic? So far all I've seen seems pretty long and somewhat complicated if you use your own nails...

Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 7.59.29 PM.pngScreen Shot 2017-05-22 at 7.59.42 PM.png

Spoiler
18556337_1491934560857606_7700269759518628477_n.jpg

I love these colors! You've inspired me to check out their website - I had never heard of them before.

@JenniferOhJenny  I have a few of their polishes and like what I have.  You can get a discount when you sign up for their email.  Might work even if you don't sign up.  Also make sure you select US/CAN when purchasing. Smiley Happy

ed6fa07b-f572-4781-a4ba-68a27b937695.png

Awesome - thanks for the tip!

😁 perfect for summer!!  

Guys, any recommendation for a hair brush that will cause no static? My hair is crazy static-y. I am at the point where I'm afraid to brush my hair because I am afraid I'm gonna set my house on fire or something from the sparkles flying. Smiley Very Happy Nothing's been helping so far. This has been happening for a long time now. No apparent cause. I think it's just me because I "electrify" people and stuff left and right. ( Too much stress! ) Smiley Very Happy

My hair is long ( again! ugh... ), straight, and silky fine.

@lyravega YES!! I recommend this brush to everyone. I purchased by accident at Ulta and it's now my favorite brush. I actually use the smaller paddle size since I cut my hair. I kid you not, this brush will smooth your hair with no other product in your hair. I just towel dry, then blow dry with this brush. My hair is smooth, shiny and frizz free. LOVE it and I recommend it to everyone! 😘❤ Nice to see you my spooky friend 🦇💀👻😦

IMG_3249.JPG

Thank you, @pixiedust2 ! That sounds promising. I'll be trying it asap!

I have the same problem with static, and I will definitely be trying this brush, because the paddle brush I currently have does nothing, lol! Thanks for sharing this @pixiedust2! ❤

@lyravega, I second @pixiedust2's opinion.  Heart 

[ Edited ]

My hands are terribly dry & one of my BFF's suggested I try Squalane Oil.  I found this on Amazon for only $10 so I figured I'd give it a try. 

5.JPG

I have spent SO much on my collection of hand creams but gotta say, in the short period of time I've used this, I can see a visible difference.  A little goes a long way too!  I'm curious if there are any other ways Squalane Oil can be used...

0.JPG

better do some research!

I am currently using a squalane oil for my face, as part of my attempt at rejigging my skincare routine. In this case, it's less about softening my skin, and more about evening out my skintone. It feels nice, but I am not far enough into using it to notice a big difference. 

http://www.sephora.com/squalane-vitamin-c-rose-oil-P416563?skuId=1923572&country_switch=ca

Oooh I'm going to check this out- thank you! I too have terribly dry hands.  Purchased the Biossance Squalane oil and while I love it, it's a lot pricer than $10!

@ZombieMetroAnt

@TamTam01 hope it works just as well for you!

Spoiler
By the way, Im loving your new avatar!  Heart

@ZombieMetroAnt awww thanks!❤️

@ZombieMetroAnt  I have the one from The Ordinary and I bought it for my face. I mostly use it at night because I feel it's a bit "oily" Smiley Very Happy  I am happy I purchase it! Definitely something I will keep in my routine!

Good to know @veronika23! I'll add this to my list of things to buy from The Ordinary (I think I'm No. 24,857 in their 25k waiting list for the foundation) Cat LOL 

Conversation Stats
Photos40
  • IMG_3160.JPG
  • tooth.JPG
  • tooth1.JPG
  • nail.JPG
  • nail5.JPG
  • nail3.JPG
  • nail4.JPG
  • nail2.JPG
  • Capture.PNG
  • col.jpg