annec322

Sun Safety Kit 2014- I just bought it!

[ Edited ]

I went to the opening of a new SiJCP today.  I walked in and low and behold, there it was.  Just sitting there all innocently.  I knew right away that it was destiny.  Without further adieu...

SunSafetyKit1.jpg

SunSafetyKit2.jpg

Contents (according to accompanying pamphlet):

Spoiler
  • 0.5 oz Algenist SPF 20 Regenerative Anti-Aging Moisturizer
  • 0.03 oz Bare Minerals SPF 25 Mineral Veil
  • 0.33 oz Murad SPF 30 Essential-C Day Moisturizer
  • 0.5 oz Ole Henriksen 50+ SPF Protect the Truth Sunscreen
  • 0.5 oz Peter Thomas Roth 30 SPF All Day Moisture Defense Lotion
  • 0.64 oz Shiseido 50+ SPF Ultimate Sun Protection Cream
  • 1.69 oz St Tropez Self Tan Bronzing Mousse
  • 0.23 oz Stila 30 SPF 10-in-1 BB Cream
  • 1 oz Supergoop! 50 SPF Sun Defying Sunscreen Oil
  • 0.5 oz Tarte Brazilliance Maracuja Self Tanner
  • 0.14 oz Too Faced Chocolate Soleil Matte Bronzing Powder

I'm most excited for the Algenist, Murad, and Supergoop! because those are all brands I've been meaning to try.  For those three alone, I got a good deal even if I give the rest away. 

What does everyone else think?  Is it what you were hoping for?  Whose gonna get it?

spacesuit

Re: Sun Safety Kit 2014- I just bought it!

(0) Hearts

I'll be passing on this because of the tanning products too. I really wanted to be able to try a bunch of higher end sunscreens without having to bug a sales assistant for samples. :/

notcreative

That is a good point.  Freestanding stores do sometimes have different kits.  Fingers crossed that is the case with this one.  I have some of the very same products unopened from last year's kit.  I would love a kit of mostly fresh, independent from last year, products.  

annec322

(0) Hearts

Agreed.  I will pass those on.  I don't use tanners and the bronzer I already own from the Too Faced Soleil trio set.

Heatoyos1

Yeah, I'm a pale Japanese girl (which is why I want the Sun Safety kit), and getting tanned is not super desirable for us. :smileywink:

annec322

[ Edited ]

I actually did know that!  I went on a family vacation when I was younger to Arizona.  There were some Japanese tourists there wearing long sleeves and pants in 115 degree weather.  I remember asking my parents why they weren't wearing shorts and t-shirts.  Many were using umbrellas and sunhats too.  They explained to me that in Japanese culture, getting a tan is considered unattractive.  I actually wish more Americans felt this way!  I love the idea of loving your natural skintone and of course, also avoiding sun exposure for health reasons.   I've been wanting to use more SPF products, so this kit is perfect!  

bratknits

(0) Hearts

It can go too far believe it or not.  In the US and UK there's been an uptick in cases of Rickets.  Kids get less incidental exposure than they used to and then they slather on the sunblock whenever they're outside so their bodies aren't making enough Vit D even with the supplementation of it in milk.  

Heatoyos1

When I go into stores catering to Japanese or Chinese customers, I often see visors and "arm warmers" for sun protection while driving.

I would probably never wear them because, while I won't go out of my way to get a tan, I also usually don't go out of my way to avoid getting one (except for wearing sunscreen)--especially since I live in Southern California. 

I am okay for my arms and legs to get a little tanned, as long as my face is still relatively pale. I only religiously apply sunscreen on my face, and am more lax about applying it to my arms and legs. I need to be better this summer, though. When I am driving, I can feel the sun beating down on my arm, leg and left-side of my face. Maybe the visor and arm warmers are a good idea. :smileyhappy:

I don't think that I would ever go with the full face mask, however. :smileywink: 

annec322

I don't know how people could wear a full face mask in hot weather without breaking out like crazy.  I know I would.

lylysa

[ Edited ]

Hehe, the masks are worn on the beaches mainly :smileyhappy:

My mother drives with a towel draped over her arm. Asians tend to have more melanin in their skin, and issues like hyperpigmentation tend to be an issue as they age as this comes to the surface more.

The importance of sun protection has jumped light years compared to what it used to be and I'm very thankful for that!

There's actually SPF clothing available, it's protection factor is measured with "UTF" rather than "SPF". Here's a quick guide on UTF ratings and how they equate to sun protection:

UPF Rating     Protection Category     % UV Blocked
UPF 15 - 24    Good                          93.3 - 95.9
UPF 25 - 39    Very Good                   96.0 - 97.4
UPF 40 - 50+  Excellent                     97.5 - 99+

Heatoyos1

Wow, good to know! Your posts are always so informative, Lylysa!

I can imagine going to the beach and seeing Asian women wearing a face mask with their bikinis. :smileyvery-happy:

I went to Okinawa two summers ago, and there were definitely no face masks in sight. I would love to see other Asian beaches, however. :smileyhappy:

lylysa

(0) Hearts

I believe Allure magazine had a little feature on the face mask a while back, they got a statement from beach goers who wore the masks and they thought it was funny because you can tell the "natives" and the tourists apart based off how they dressed on the beaches.

lylysa

There are many cultures actually that revere fairer skin. Often time in outdoor labor-intensive countries and areas of the world, fair skin is associated with bring able to have the luxury to inside and away from the sun. It was a way to differentiate from the "working" class and the "upper" class population. In some Asian countries, protection from the sun has even reached the point where facial masks are worn:

In areas of the world where having more of a tan or color to the skin is held in high regard in terms of beauty, this tends to stem from the ideal that obtaining that color was done through being lively and having the freedom to roam outdoors. Without getting into too much detail, think about countries that still have beliefs and rules that constrict what women can and cannot do and then think of how in America the mentality is a lot more casual so women have the opportunity to lay out in the sun if they wanted while wearing a bikini on a beach while in other places around the world, that is either frowned upon or now allowed.

mommyto4

(0) Hearts

There used to be the same mentality about ones weight.  It was more popular to be bigger since you were then viewed as upper class and having enough to eat.  Skinny was a sign of being poor and malnourished.  

annec322

Some really interesting thoughts lylysa!  Thanks for sharing this!

lylysa

You're welcome, I've worked with many clients before ranging from Asian, Middle Eastern, and Indian and have had the instance come up more than a few times where women want me to apply a foundation much lighter than their actual skin tone. Though it's not uncommon for folks to sway between their shade or even one slightly lighter, they were requesting a very dramatic difference in tone. As someone they had hired and booked, I was definitely not one to argue or protest, as this is a "give the client what they want/paid for" situation.

During trial runs with make up and firming up a look I've used products that match to their coloring and I can see it in their eyes and even hear it in their voice a level of being displeased with what they see in the mirror and it completely changes when they have on a foundation that is about 3 or 4 shades lighter. Make up is very individual, I've always been a firm believer that someone wearing it should be wearing it first and foremost for themselves, not for anyone else. To the women I worked with that requested paler foundations, all that mattered was how they felt, the paler foundation made them more appeased and it made them feel more beautiful. :smileyhappy:

prettyinpa

This one looks pretty much like the ones from the past 2 years, except it has less products. I'm going to pass, I've tried 'em and wasn't crazy about any of the products.

dpp4v

In the past, the one sold at SiJCP and the one sold at freestanding stores/online have been 2 slightly different kits.  

I'm interested to see what the online/freestanding store version will be.  I won't be getting the SiJCP version because I know I don't use or like at least 5 of the items. 

heatherbee

I still have yet to try one of the sun kits.  I just never get around to it!

Chickibum

Im so sad, Sephora, PLEASE ship the sun safety kit here!!! :smileysad:

mafan

I've tried most of these so I don't know if I'll bother getting it, but it really is a great price for what you get (and the donation to the Skin Cancer foundation is nice, too.)  I'll be interested to see what the regular Sephora kit looks like.

rastika

$27 is a pretty great price. :smileyhappy: Looks like you would get introduced to a lot of new (to me) brands. I am willing to try it out. My co - worker just gave me a $10 Sephora gift card for Administrative Professionals day!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 84 replies
  • 145 hearts
  • 46 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • killahbabe
    • wendyomgwar
    • bigslacker666
    • jojobe