jennypenny1995

Sephora vs. Ulta - The Verdict

I've been a VIB for a few years now, and my local Sephora is within walking distance of that "other" brand. I've heard rave reviews about their rewards program, most especially about their generous giving of free product with each new level reached and not samplers.

Today, I headed to my Sephora store for the VIB event, got my bag loaded up, and then...went to Ulta. I was actually there to get a tube of NYX lip gloss since I've heard so much about it, but I went through the whole store out of pure curiosity.

The verdict? While Ulta does carry drugstore brands and their rewards are pretty lofty in comparison...Sephora has my heart. Ulta felt too "superstore-ish". No offense, but a little...below...the standard and prestige of Sephora.

So, Sephora, heed our call! Amp up our VIB rewards. Tidy up the shelves and demos in your stores (our store is a tad lacking in that dept.). And, keep up the great work! = )

jennypenny1995

Re: Sephora vs. Ulta - The Verdict

(0) Hearts

Very valid points!

inmm

I shop at both, and both have their benefits.

I prefer to buy drugstore brand products at Ulta rather than drugstores because of the testers and generous return policy. In addition to the drugstore brands, there are good brands that Ulta carries but Sephora doesn't. Some examples are Dermalogica, NYX, Cargo, Body Shop, Laura Geller, and La Roche Posay.

Sephora in turn carries many brands that Ulta does not.

Ulta does sales more regularly, especially with the drugstore brands. They sometimes have amazing one-day deals. Two months ago, for instance, a full size Tarte Maracuja Oil ($45) was on sale for $26 at Ulta, for one day only.

The Ulta website often gives me problems when trying to order.

In terms of loyalty programs, Sephora's is hands down better. Ulta does it by the quarter, so you can't carry over points from a previous quarter.

serioustree

@BeeBeeJ

Yes, they use it to track your purchases- which you can then see in your "Loves" and access if you wanted to know which shade of lipstick you purchased five months ago or so.

In addition to that, for each dollar you spend at Sephora, you earn 1 point.