DTalksAll

Second Chances

We all love second chances. I'm not talking about neglected items & rediscovering *I'm looking at you Vice Palette* 

What are some products you hated at first, but then gave it a second chance & started to really like it?

Mine are:

- Too Faced Air Buffed BB cream. Complete impulse purchase in January & I hated it. I hated the texture, and how it attracted fuzz in the jar, I hated the application, the finish, the brush it came with... I didn't return it since it was my fault for purchasing it before there were any reviews on it and seeing it for myself first. A few weeks ago I decided to give it another shot. I still can't get it to work with a beautybelnder (it hates water), but a stippling brush works just fine. I'm wondering if it was just my dry winter skin that didn't like it. It's not a HG product, but I can make it work

- Fresh Sugar Deodorant Antiperspirant. At first I didn't like the scent and it dried to slowly. I'm more of a "apply & go" type person. I neglected it for months until I got some of their perfumes. The scent doesn't last long & I was looking into options for extending it (already was using the Acai body cream) & gave the Deodorant another shot. I now apply it before I do my makeup to give it a good 10 minutes to dry before putting clothes on & I have no issues with it & it's now a Summer HG. 

- NARS lipgloss. The first one I ever tried was Turkish Delight because I fell into the hype. It was horrible; didn't go well with my skin and felt strange. I prefer lipgloss & stains to lipstick so I gave it another shot a few years later. They are now my HG lip product I have so many in different shades that are all pigmented, not too glittery and not tacky. 

Foundation/Blush Brush No. 2 . I just couldn't find a use for it. It was too fluffy for liquids, not stiff enough to buff, already had the Too Faced brush for finishing powders... 2 years later it's now my bronzer brush when I'm too lazy to contour but I want an allover glow without looking muddy

katie1724

Re: Second Chances

[ Edited ]

I think I usually have the opposite problem -- I start out enamored and the love affair fades. I will say that I didn't like Anthony Logistics Glycolic cleanser at first. I had been using another glycolic cleanser (Skinceuticals) and I forgot to reorder it before I ran out. I was traveling and tried Anthony Logistics on a whim. It didn't appeal to me at first -- I'm used to cleansers that foam, and it felt like lotion on my face. It didn't feel like it rinsed away, either. I'm not sure why but it really grew on me, and now I've used it more consistently than the one from Skinceuticals. I'm sure there are others, but this is the one I can remember offhand! :smileyhappy:

sephoralovex

Defiantly the NARS lipgloss. The first color I ever tried also was Turkish Delight, and I hated it. Barely any came onto the brush and it smelled weird. I randomly bought it again and LOVE it! Favorite lipgloss. And it's the shade I have been looking for for years now. 

Tarte 12 hour amazonian clay foundation. The consistency was so thick that it looked cakey on my face. Just started using it a few weeks ago and I think that using a different brush made it go on more smoothly and flawless looking and being full coverage without looking cakey! And the color match is right on point.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

Maybe I should give Turkish Delight another shot then... 

DTalksAll

@dianabt Have you tried mixing the shades with other palettes? I know it's a pain to do, but sometimes the shades don't work well together, but are great when you mix them. I guess you could always try the whole depotting route to work them in more :smileywink: 

dianabt

(0) Hearts

@DannyC yes! I think I'm either losing my touch or just have a weird mindset that NOTHING will work with it! The palette is actually very pretty if you haven't seen it! I think it's just off setting with my skin tone or something, I normally never have trouble blending and mixing shades for myself or other clients! :smileyhappy: Do-potting them may be the option I need to go in, thanks!

http://www.makeupandbeautyblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Urban-Decay-Rollergirl-Palette-palette-open.jpg

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I love pairing pinks with blues and purples (pink on the lid & purple or blue in the crease & outer V) I'd use woodstock with some blues, or maybe a beige cream pencil as a base to tone it down a bit. It doesn't fit well with the other shades though. The browns are OK, and might work better with other shades. I use darkhorse on occasion in my crease, but it's not a favorite of mine. I'd attempt to depot it or give it to someone else LOL 

carrierose

Back when VS sold other beauty items, I got Too Faced Shadow Insurance in a variety bag and never really used it.  2 years later I was researching how to help mineral eyeshadow stay and I read about TFSI.  Dug it out and have never gone a day without it since!!

DesertRose0706

i got the honey trap lib balm from luch about a year ao after hearing great reviews for it.  I liked it ok, but didn;t thin it was that great, so i put it away.  I broke it out again a couple months ago and now it is my favorite lip balm, and I just repurchased a second lol

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

Oooo I heard really good things about it. One of the mall's by me FINALLY got a lush store. I'll have to check it out next time I'm there

dianabt

I'd like to say the Urban Decay RollerGirl palette.. but I've used it TWICE only EVER and just don't like it no matter what combinations or colors I do or mix together!

I also used to not like the Benefit Porefessional until I finally realized it worked better on TOP of my makeup. :smileyhappy: 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
ChicDabbler

I tried Boscia white mask in the summer and it's so stuffy it almost give me a breakout, but when I tried it in the dead of winter when my skin is dry and flaky, it's perfect.

The first time I tried ExfoliKate I treat it like a mask (generous layer), nononononNO, it burrrrned my face off. The second time I used minimal amount like a scrub to cover all areas but not enough to see the green color, it was great.

DTalksAll

I did that the first time with ExfoliKate too! I like it, but I prefer other scrubs. 

ChicDabbler

Yeah, if we are talking about scrub peels, I love Philosophy microdelivery dual phase peel. It's got nice scrubbing power but doesn't hurt and your skin do feel squeaky clean and not dry.

kenny

DuWop lip venom. Initially the "tingle" felt too strong and I hated it. But I tried it a few weeks later and the tingle didn't bother me so much, and I actually really liked it!

poemelyric

Smashbox photo finish primer is mine.  I got the original primer as a mini for $8 at checkout and I tried it.  While it was smooth and helped my powder foundation go on more smoothly, it left my face oilier at the end of the day.  After going through tons of primers, I found that Smashbox makes a primer for oily skin and I've been using it ever since.  It's a staple now.

sephoramusthave

Good post!

Benefit Benetint. The first time I used it I only used it on my lips and I absolutely hated it because it went on streaky and was so super drying and just a mess to blend in. The second time I used it on my cheeks and WOW I loved it sooooo much more! I'm still not a fan of liquid blush, they stain my fingers and aren't as easy to use as cream or powder but it looks just lovely on. It looks so scary in the bottle....its this super dark blood red but it goes on quite nice. I would have never given red blush a second look if it wasn't for this product, but once I used up my Benetint I want to get MUFE Scarlet, Stila Poppy and Tarte Natural Beauty.

DTalksAll

I've always hesitated with the liquid blush too. I like the stila o-glow gel, but it's a pain & my fingers turn pink. I keep eyeing the benetint since I hoard lip stains, but keep hearing how drying it is. I might have to check it out as a blush stain though. 

arielaaaaaaaa

Hmm the only thing i can think of is the Origins Drink Up 10 minute Mask. I was so excited to get it, my skin was so dry and needed something. So i ordered it and had such high hopes. But after two uses i didn't really see a difference so i got discouraged and threw it in my pile of stuff i don't use. But after a few weeks i decided to give it another try and used it for 3 weeks 3 times a week. And i was really happy. My skin had stopped flaking so much so i'm happy. It last awhile so i can't complain but it's not a instant fix for my skin like the Fresh Rose face mask is for me!!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 28 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • sephoralovex
    • arielaaaaaaaa