ChicDabbler

Products to slow down/inhibit hair growth, do they work?

Sometimes I like shaving, but sometimes I'm just too busy or lazy. I see all these procedures, equipments and cream claiming to slow/inhibit hair growth. Are there any inexpensive options that works? particularly for tender areas like the underarm.

Thanks!

MermaidBarbie

Re: Products to slow down/inhibit hair growth, do they work?

I'm actually allergic to razors. Probably that little bit of nickel in there or a mixture of other metals I could possibly be allergic to, so I cannot shave without itching my legs so much and scabbing up. I purchased the Emjoi Emagine Electric Epilator from Target last year and I've never put another razor under my arms or on my legs again. Best.Thing.That.Ever.Happened.To.Me. Epilators pull the hair follicle out, doesn't cut the hair at the surface of your skin, so it takes longer to grow, and eventually, hair will grow less overtime. Now I don't shave as often as I normally would. Just my 2cents. :smileyhappy:

jellybean917

I wax my own underarms (and my upper lip). I don't think it hurts too bad. I buy Surgi wax for the bikini area from Sally beauty supply (super cheap). It can be messy, but I get better every time.

For me, the key is getting the wax at the right temperature. Then I slather it on my entire armpit region, and I can get most of the hair in one pull (it's the kind without strips). I'll either add more wax to get what I missed, or pluck the rest out with tweezers.

Before waxing, I make sure to avoid caffeine for a few hours and take an ibuprofen. Also, I read somewhere that your pain tolerance is highest in the afternoon.

I would like to pick up the Silk'n or something for my legs and bikini area. I hate getting that waxed, and shaving is useless. My hair is dark and my skin is light, so you can see the hair underneath my skin unless it's pulled from the root.

DTalksAll

I use an epilator on my underarms & bikini. It has helped a bit with my thick hair, but I still want to get a Silk'n or Me smooth. 

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

Does epilator hurt? I'm a baby when it comes to pain. The most I can stand was waxing the top of my finger, and plucking <10 hair at any session.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

No more then waxing does. I pop 3 advil about an hour before I start. I also make sure that I exfoliate the areas beforehand. You can also apply a local anesthetic cream to numb the area. I don't epilate my legs because I don't like growing my hair long enough & my legs are bit more sensitive. I also think my hair pattern is more in patches on my legs, so it's quicker to just shave it. 

When I used to get waxed, I'd make the esthetician work in LARGE sections so I'd get over the pain quicker. I'm fine with a few minutes of hair ripping pain, but anything more than 5 minutes & it was just uncomfortable. 

& Like JellyBean said, avoid caffeine, don't do it in the afternoon, and don't do it when you're PMSing! 

Carmen1986

(0) Hearts

Epilators can be painful. I'd suggest doing a small section at a time. It may take longer, but i'd not be one to stress your skin out because that's what happens when it's having the hairs ripped out lol. 

lilyyy

Products, no. Procedures, yes! Unfortunately, laser hair removal is rather expensive and you need several treatments to get the job done.

Carmen1986

[ Edited ]

A painless method would be greatly appreciated for sure. I wish I had that option for when I was going through years of electrolysis to remove all my facial hair during my transition. I've heard laser isn't permanent and it doesn't do the same kinda job electrolysis would do. So laser is out of the question. NONO is a joke it basically fries the hair above the skin and that's not doing much for the folicle deep down. I'd be a bit skeptical about products that are cream/gel based because it's hard to believe they can work but I may be wrong. I seen billboards here for a product called ' Inhibitif ' it's sold at Shoppers Drug Mart the Canadian version of a CVS I guess. Here is the site and check it out, it might be sold in the USA. 

http://inhibitif.com/

May I also add that I would hate to see anyone being screwed over for any procedures that involve laser or electrolysis removal. I know being a transwoman that they will keep you coming back till your account is drained. I spent a good few grand between 2 electrolysis places and in the end I stopped going !. 

lilyyy

(0) Hearts

Exactly! Everyone I know that has done the hair removal has paid several thousands and not a penny less.

Carmen1986

I unfortunately have grizly legs currently just simply because I am so **bleep** busy, lazy or just plain wiped of energy. I've tried epilating and that in itself feels like your having people rip the hairs out of your legs. If you manage to find something that works effectively let me know lol. I hate shaving and I am not keen on the NONO or Tria laser it's all gimmicks. 

jaimelove

i have a friend who plucks her armpits, no joke. i don't know how she stands it! 

i almost never have time to shave my legs, so i end up looking like a grizzly bear most of the time. on the rare occasion that my boyfriend is home during naptime and i have the time without having to jump out halfway through when the baby wakes up (or as soon as my toes hit the water in most cases!) it feels like a spa treatment haha. 

what i wouldn't give for some sort of permanent hair removal... 

pinkonyx

swfupload_1977168869062679318.jpg

I've heard the NONO works but that is 200 dollars. Waxing hurts too much for under arms, I guess maybe I would suggest a slow grow by GIGI. I have heard good things about it.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 10 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • lilyyy
    • ChicDabbler
    • MermaidBarbie
    • jaimelove
    • pinkonyx