scd42

Niacin/niacinamide and Vitamin C in a cream/serum?

It's been suggested to me that a cream or serum with both Vitamin C and Niacinamide could help lighten some slight melasma on my lip and cheek. Does anyone know of a cream or serum like this? Thank you!

beautylovingirl

Re: Niacin/niacinamide and Vitamin C in a cream/serum?

(0) Hearts

@Yuumei- Your welcome! Glad I could help!:smileyhappy:

beautylovingirl

@Yuumei- If your friend is currently pregnant please be sure that she reads all labels for ingredients that may not be safe for her to be using right now. And if she's already had her baby still be cautious because skin is not always normal during pregnancy or for a short time after.

Yuumei

Thanks again for the awesome advice :smileyhappy:

lylysa

Good point if she is currently pregnant, good one, Beautylovingirl! :smileyhappy:

beautylovingirl

You should look at Vitamin C serum. Obagi makes a 20% C serum that is amazing at not just brightening melasma but your whole complexion . Hope this helps!

lylysa

[ Edited ]

As melasma is often tied to hormonal causes, topical and over the counter treatments will only do so much, but vitamin C and niainamides are great fortifying ingredients that are gentle on skin and will treat and help lighten/even skin tone while nourishing.

Vitamin C is found in some of these stellar products:

Ole Henriksen's Truth Serum, enriched with vitamin C, E, green tea, and sodium hyaluronate, this helps to brighten, boost collagen production, hydrate skin, condition, and provide anti-oxidant protection, great for AM/PM use:

swfupload_42358837486329004.jpg

For something a bit more intensive but relies on more gentle sources to block rapid melanin production to have dark areas avoid getting darker, Ole's Enlighten Me serum relies on THC, vitamin C, mulberry extracts, and lactic acid (milk enzymes which gently brighten):

swfupload_1111077862634462810.jpg

Peter Thomas Roth's Camu Camu products are also great to give skin a hefty vitamin C dose, they also come enriched with peptides to help firm and keep skin toned and vitamin A to gently treat signs of aging.

swfupload_1370188119265435826.jpgswfupload_8363354019275737019.jpg

Philosophy's Turbo C Booster Powder is a great supplementary product that can be added to serums and lotions to give them a boost of vitamin C, it's a stabilized formula and won't irritate skin.

swfupload_2964880467485339734.jpg

Dr. Perricone's Vitamin C Ester can be used on face and lips:

swfupload_8481018229610623511.jpg

For more on lips, I love Anthony Logistics' lip balms (especially in the blood orange scent), it contains resveratrol, a power anti-oxidant that helps combat UV damage (along with having SPF protection) and will keep lips hydrated and protected:

swfupload_4097863908233929813.jpg

As for niacinamides, they are rich in StriVectin's products, which formulates all their products with niacinamides (also known as NIA-114, their labels also show the percentage used) and in CeraVe's lotions, which are great, basic formulas that are oil free and gentle. Their day lotion is one I swear by and contains ceramides and hyaluronic acid (binds healthy moisture to skin) and contains SPF 30, which is crucial, especially when battling discoloration.

Yuumei

This is so helpful... I was just doing some research about this yesterday for a friend at work that developed melasma on her face upon pregnancy and had asked me for help... I am still curious if there is a helpful facial cleanser I can recommend? I only have samples of the Murad Intensive C Radiance Peel and REN Glycol Lactic Radiance Renewal Mask... would either of these be beneficial for her or should she avoid these kinds of products? Sorry to ask but you seem to have a good amount of knowledge and I don't want to potentially make her symptoms worse... I would really appreciate your insight :smileyhappy: 

lylysa

[ Edited ]

Try a cleanser with glycolic acids, which are fruit enzymes (rich in vitamin c and come from sources like orange, lime, lemon, and grapefruit). Anthony Logistics's Glycolic Wash is very gentle and void of many filler ingredients, it comes packed with vitamin c and a and soothes with chamomile and aloe. One more intensive is Peter Thomas Roth's Anti Aging Gel Cleanser, combining alpha and beta hydroxy acids. These are categories that cover a broader range (alpha hydroxy acids generally are either glycolic or lactic acid, lactic being milk proteins and enzymes, a bit more gentle and helps soothe while beta hydroxy acids often refer to salicylic acid, which give deeper pore cleansing abilities). Murad's Essential C line also has a delicate cleanser containing vitamin C as well. I've used all 3 and will say my fave is the AL because the formula is a gel cream so it's hydrating but also deep cleansing. The other 2 are gels, which work even best for oily or combination skin.

Both peels you mentioned are from top notch lines, the key when working with glycolic/lactic/alpha/beta hydroxy peels and treatments are being receptive to individual sensivities. Do test spots on the lower jaw to be sure it's not too potent, read and follow instructions carefully. Other more gentle options to look into are Origins Brighter by Nature Peel Pads, Philosophy's Microdelivery Peel options (one minute gel mask, pads, and 2 step peel with vitamin c microcrystals and lactic/salicylic acid activating gel for a chemical and physical exfoliating experience), Ole Henriksen's Pure Truth Oil (a step up from their regular Truth serum and contains nourishing omegas for more of an antiaging boost compared to Truth and Enlighten Me), and pads from Dr. Dennis Gross and PTR (advertised for blemishes, but the ingredients target dark spots regardless of source).

Yuumei

Thanks so much! This is all very helpful information... and I agree with rikkie, very thorough!!!  Thanks for taking the time to help :smileyhappy:

rikkie

Ahh, your posts are always amazing to read! So thorough!

lylysa

Thanks, Rikkie! I'm a firm believer in arming oneself with knowledge which can be applied to all manners of products and brands, that way options are seemingly more endless and you know what direction to take. :smileyhappy:

scd42

Thank you! I'll take a closer look at those. I didn't realize CeraVe's lotions had naicinamides in them, I've heard good things and have been looking into picking one up so now I definitely will. Thanks!

lylysa

They are amazing lotions, sooooo simple and they give a run for many top brands who overload formulas. CeraVe is basic but effective and doesn't break the bank, it's a good point to start. I myself have personally used StriVectin's SPF, the AL lip balm, the Philosophy powder, and both Ole serums I've mentioned (Ole also has a new vitamin C oil, which also has more anti-aging boosting ingredients) and stand by them. :smileyhappy: Ole has a mini kit of a trial serum and face cream you might want to give a go to if you're debating on wanting to commit to a full size (but it's so worth it!).

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 22 hearts
  • 5 in conversation
    • lylysa
    • beautylovingirl
    • rikkie
    • Yuumei
    • scd42
Photos7