DTalksAll

Let's talk Serums

I need the help of my fellow enablers with picking out the "perfect" serum :smileytongue:
In a few weeks I'll be starting retinol a few times a week again. I have the PTR retinol fusion PM & some of the DDG retinol serum left. So I'm looking for something to use on those off nights.
I'm 30 yrs young, no real signs of wrinkles yet, get occasional hormonal breakouts, a few blackheads, acne scars, some forehead acne, milia, occasional redness and just got my first dark spot under my eye a few weeks ago (EEK!) My ideal serum would even skin tone, exfoliate, brighten, possibly help with the breakouts/scarring (cell turnover....), not dry out too much (due to retinol on other nights), can be hydrating, but doesn't have to be.

Products I have tired:
- OH Invigorating night gel- nice, but want something else
- Perricone Blue Plasma- still using it, don't see any results & it's been over 3 months :smileysad:
- OH Truth Serum- it's my morning serum, won't ever replace it!
- DDG A/B pads- I tend to use these as a treatment 1-2x a week since the pads are so expensive
- Origins Mega Bright- too mild, no real results unless used with another product
- Dior One- from the pt perk, I tossed it. Not a fan that it's mostly waxes, fillers, alcohol, slip agents... I want a serum that delivers, not masks impurities.

Serums I'm looking at, but am open to suggestion:
- REN Resurfacing AHA concentrate - not sure how to incorporate this with retinol since it's 14 days on, 14 days off. http://www.sephora.com/resurfacing-aha-concentrate-P291203?skuId=1348911
- FAB Facial Radiance Serum- I see a lot of people on BT raving about it. I just hope it's not as weak as the Blue Plasma. Can anyone compare the two? http://www.sephora.com/facial-radiance-serum-P379498?skuId=1528124
- PTR Glycolic Acid 10 percent Hydrating Gel- Something I've had on my loves list for a long time but don't know much about it http://www.sephora.com/glycolic-acid-10-hydrating-gel-P3572?skuId=142026

P.S. no oils please! It's OK if the product has some oils in them (except for mineral oils), but I can't do oil based.

beautylovingirl

Re: Let's talk Serums

@dannyc- I hope you like whatever you choose.

DTalksAll

& I got the retexturing activator today at blue mercury. It's a little sticky, but I hope that won't make me hate it. Everything I've read/heard about it seems like this is the "perfect" serum for me. It hydrates & does some major exfoliation. 

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

@Oops I see you posted below. It's nothing to me if you don't use anything from skinceuticals . You know what's best for your skin, your the one wearing it. I just gave you these suggestions because you wanted some. I wouldn't change anything if your already using something you like. Those are just my suggestions the rest is up to you...:smileywink:

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

@dannyc- If I can get you to realize the HUGE difference in Cosmeceutical skin care and pharmaceutical skin care it will blow your mind.:smileywink:

DTalksAll

Oh I know! A lot of times I give up because of the price, but if I'm spending $90 on a blue serum that does nothing for my skin... what's an extra $40 to actually see a difference? 

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

@drrragon- There products are truly really good I use their C&E Ferulic Serum and when we did my actual skin age in the Doc's office my skin age came out at 35 and I'm 43. If there's one thing I know it's skin care..:smileyhappy:

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

Skin Ceuticals Retexturizing activator. 41Vo+Ro8ILL._SY450_[1].jpgThis is going to give you all your wanting to accomplish and will not irritate your face. There's 6 in this pack for I think 35.00 so it's a good deal considering you only have to use a small amount and if you decide that you want some B5 hydrating gel I think this place has like 6 packs also for like 22.00. These are sample sizes which will last forever considering you are getting 6 in the pack. I've got serums in these sizes that I have for 7 months and I'm not out yet.51MSjHzqSPL._SX450_[1].jpgThe next is the Skin Ceuticals 0.5 Retinol Night Cream- Everything in these little tubes no other serum needed. These are like 25.00. All this stuff may not seem like a bargin but considering how long they last it's the best deal your gonna get with out going full size. :smileywink:

DTalksAll

Thanks! I got the PTR no oil oil serum to replace my B5 gel, and I like my current retinol (I did try the 0.5 a while ago), maybe when I run out of the PTR & DDG I'll switch back. But I'm using the Algenist now (the 10 day sample packs, but it's more like 20 since one pack is enough for 2 nights) & really like it. 

There's a Blue Mercury by my Sephora that carries SkinCeuticals, I'll check out the Retexturizing Activator. That's something I've been eyeing for a while now. 

beautylovingirl

The Skinceuticals is what I was gonna bring up. Let me get some together and put them out for you I loooove the serums from Skinceuticals. Do you want some of those for suggestions?

DTalksAll

You know I do :smileywink: & you probably have better knowledge of the brand than I do 

drrragon

I was just looking at their "C + AHA" serum today!  I haven't seen anything else that has 10% AHA and also 10% vitamin C, it's intriguing and would save me an extra step!

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

@dannyc- Are you wanting something to give you hydration as well or something more to get your dead cells off and give a lot of turnover?

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

ugh both?!?! I know my skin will start to get dry soon as the seasons change & I reintroduce retinol. I did get the new PTR no oil, oil serum. I'm hoping it works like the skincuticals B5 gel & I can layer it over my treatment & under my moisturizer. 

IDK, I just feel like my skin has been dull lately & more milia are popping up. I realize the Blue Plasma is just not doing enough for my skin & the Kores Rose & Vita C sleeping facial could be the cause of the milia. 

atr3810

I personally love the REN AHA concentrate.  I wouldn't really call it a serum though, so I'm not sure it's what you are looking for.  I use it 7 days on/14 days off, and it definitely helps exfoliate and smooth my complexion.  I probably would not use it at all if I were also using a retinol product, because that might be too much exfoliation.  At least, it would be for me. (I'm 31, somewhat oily, acne-prone skin with some leftover acne scars.)

I don't have a lot of experience with serums, but have you considered Philosophy's When Hope Is Not Enough?  I use that every morning and have been happy with it.  I used it for awhile without noticing anything different, and then one morning about 5 weeks later, I looked in the mirror and just looked...better.  It was such a gradual effect that I doubted it was working for the longest time.  I guess that's why you have to stick with it!  Good luck in your search!  If you find something you love, please let us know.

DTalksAll

@lylysa EXACTLY! which is why I'm OK with it being listed toward the bottom of the ingredient list, but not in the top 3, or 5... But for me alcohol in toner is a no-no. 

@drrragon I didn't even see that! Shoot! I have a bunch of moisturizers to get through (the Korres rose & c facial, Korres gel, OH sheer transformation...) But maybe I can use it with the blue plasma to amp it up a bit. Ahhhhh! 

lylysa

Mmhmm! I agree, for toners, there are SO many formulas available that it's completely plausible to find one that is free of bad alcohols. As far as it being in the REN serum, who knows, maybe with how it's formulated it needs that alcohol to boost it's dry down time as no one wants a gooey serum. Maybe see if you can get a sample if it's in stores to test the consistency.

drrragon

LOL, well one reason you might opt for the moisturizer over the gel is that if you're new to AHAs (especially in the 10% range) the extra moisture will help counteract any drying effects of the glycolic acid.  I haven't tried the gel format myself (except trying it out in-store) but it's a nice option also that I think would get you similar results, but be lighter on your skin.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Hyaluronic acid/sodium hyaluronate in gel based moisturizers help boost their hydrating levels up immensely but allow them to keep their light texture!

The Korres Pomegranate Gel/Cream moisturizer and Dr. Jart's Water Fuse Gel are two that pack a punch without weighing skin down!

DTalksAll

Yes I find the Korres Pomegranate Gel more hydrating than the Wild Rose & Vita C sleeping facial if that makes sense? Or maybe it just seems like a "different" kind of hydration? 

unblownkisses

(0) Hearts

I really like the DDF Amplifying Elixir. It's light, and feels refreshing to me, and helps a lot with the hormonal acne I used to get on my forehead.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 48 replies
  • 46 hearts
  • 16 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • wendyomgwar
    • drrragon
    • lylysa
    • unblownkisses