Aly730

Kat Von D

I previously posted about Urban Decay and Kat Von D foundations, and based on the answers and the coverage, Kat Von D seems like the better choice. I recently became a vegetarian, and am transitioning to veganism. For my cosmetics vegetarian/cruelty free is a bare minimum, but vegan comsetics is the ideal. I want more information about Kat Von D cosmetics. I try to find an official site, but everything here links to Sephora, so I thought I ask here.

1. Does Kat Von D Cosmetics test ingredients or finished products on animals?
2. Do you test ingredients or products on animals through a 3rd party?
3. Do your manufacturers test ingredients or products on animals?
4. Are you owned or affliliated with any companies that test products or ingredients on animals?
5. Does Kat Von D Cosmetics or your parent company currently or have plans to manufacture products in the Chinese market, which requires animal testing by law?
6. Could you provide a list of all of your current vegetarian and vegan items available for purchase?

Nadia15302

Re: Kat Von D

(0) Hearts

I loved this brand! It's really too bad no one could give a straight up answer. Obsessive compulsive products here I come!

freckledb

(0) Hearts
missey1973

Oh my goodness "purses or shoes made of leather coming out of China are almost 100% dog or cat leather". WOW is all I can say. That makes me want to look at anything leather I have from China and trash it.

emmaclaire

Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics is vegan and cruelty free and sold at Sephora, which is great.  They are fabulous and have the best full cover concealer I've ever used (and I have used all of Sephora's "full cover" concealers)

Plantgarden

(0) Hearts

I forgot to mention them,.. I haven't tried any of their products, but I will now!  Thanks!<3

chupi

(0) Hearts

Yes! I forgot about them. And they are local for me (NYC). 

emmaclaire

They're fabulous!  The concealer is my absolute favorite.

Plantgarden

(0) Hearts

Try a brand 100% Pure, google it.   They are vegan & CF.

Also, ZuZu Luxe, Beauty Without Cruelty and Glam Natural just to name a few.

Additional resources at Leaping Bunny, The Nature of Beauty, Logical Harmony and of course PETA.

BeautyTester, a BT expert, suggested closing the thread mention below, and I agree.  The information is outdated and the original poster is no longer a MOD.  I incorrectly addressed my response to this MOD, harshly I might add, and she is not responsible for the recycling of this outdated information.

Beautytester also mentioned that a search filter be added to the Sephora data base.  Excellent idea which I hope Sephora will implement. 

Honestly, you have to do the research yourself to get that accurate information you need.  It can be overwhelming when starting out, but pick the next item you need, you mention foundation.  KVD will not pass all your questions above.  Use resources, to find the product that will suit your needs.

Additionally, foreign companies marketing to the US can say anything they want to, to US consumers because they are not held to our standards or laws.  Not to say our standards are better (EU & Canadian have much better standards).   For instance, Hakuhodo face brushes are much raved about on this board (I am not judging, just using it as an example) are made from goat, weasel and squirrel.  The company says they are Cruelty Free.  Cruelty Free?  What part?  The factory farming: animals are born, raised in over stuffed cages and slaughtered in a factory.  Never feeling the sun on their face nor the grass under their feet.  Or is it the part where the fur is ripped from their bodies, while most are still alive, and then thrown on a pile of other bodies to a slow agonizing death.   Documents report some of them living for up to 10 minutes.  Can you imagine that?    No, the company marketing wants you to believe the squirrels sit in a little barber chair for a haircut, given an oak nut afterwards and then sent outside to play in the trees.  

I am not perfect in all areas of product buying.  But I know, for very one product I buy that is Cruelty Free, I am saving 77 animals from experiments that do not translate to humans.  

*just as a side note: purses or shoes made of leather coming out of China are almost 100% dog or cat leather.  I encourage you and others to look up "China fur trade".

You sound just like me!!! LOVE YOU !!!

Thank you for being a voice for those that can not speak for themselves.   One person at a time can change the world.

*Beautytester, if I have misrepresented anything regarding your post, please correct me. <3

gem5136

(0) Hearts

Kat Von D is manufactured by sephora. It is an in-house brand which is why you can't find any information that doesn't link back to sephora. Unfortunately I can't answer your questions but if you can find info on sephora brand makeup than my assumption would be the same for Kat Von D. 

A foundation suggestion that is similar to the lock it would be the tarte 12hr Amazonian clay foundation. Also as a plus it doesn't seem to oxidize on people like the Kat Von D does. 

heathenlyhues

while she says boldly that she doesn't test on animals, the parent company that owns the line LMVH does.  It's a constant struggle to either hate this notion and boycott all the lines or to purchase from those that don't and hope that my dollar acts as a vote to make changes.  LMVH needs to change there stance on this and get firm about it or they will lose money.

heathenlyhues

I find it interesting that no one from Sephora responded to this?  I am about to toss all of my lipstick in this brand if I don't get an answer or find someone who can.  It's annoying on a great many levels.

lylysa

You might want to check out this thread posted a while back by Mod Tiffany.

It lists out brands carried by Sephora that don't do animal testing, but since it's post other Mods and Beauty Talk users have given more information about the affiliation with the Chinese market.

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Products/Animal-Testing/m-p/142511/highlight/true#M566

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 10 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • chupi
    • emmaclaire
    • freckledb
    • lylysa
    • Aly730
    • missey1973