AlwaysGab

I need a new skincare regimen but I don't know where to start! please help :)

(0) Hearts

I'm 22 years old. I've had acne since I was 13. FINALLY, I haven't been seeing a lot of actual pimples popping up, which is awesome for me! BUT I have dark spots, uneven skintone, little bumps and somewhat large pores and I am oily. Right now, I am just washing my face with normal soap and water, day and night, and have been using rubbing alcohol to clear up some bumps. I KNOW, I know it's probably super bad for my skin but it has actually been keeping things at bay until I can splurge on some products that will help me get where I want to be... *OH!* also, I want something that will help prevent wrinkles. I already have some on my forehead, they aren't horrible but I don't want them! especially this young! and also wrinkles around my mouth and sometimes I have bags under my eyes. YUCK! So I need some suggestions on a *New and Improved* skincare regimen. My main concerns are: Dark Spots Large pores Unevenness Acne (since my skin is probably still acne prone) Redness Wrinkles - forehead, around mouth, and undereyes. I would like suggestions on: Cleanser Moisterizer Exfoliator Mask Moisterizer Anti-aging Make-up primer and Foundation... and anything else you think may help me out so as I stated, I'm currently using just soap and water and some alcohol, ugh... but the foundation I'm using is make up forever (but it's too light) and Bare minerals powder matte finish. No primer just some neutrogena oil free moisterizer that is almost out... I NEED HELP! I'm ready to splurge to acheive that sense of perfection. I now know, beautiful skin is worth the money! Lol All I want is to be able to go somewhere some times without wearing makeup!!!!!!!! and when I do wear make up I want it to look FLAWLESS!!! Please help!!!

AlwaysGab

Re: I need a new skincare regimen but I don't know where to start! please help :)

great! I try to reply directly to your posts but it will not let me. I have a few other questions...

What is the difference between a toner and a cleanser?

And with the Bosica Black Detox line, should I try the whole line, the cleanser, mask, hydration gel and t zone, or just the mask and/or cleanser?

thank you so much I am going to look at the other thread right now! :smileyhappy:

lylysa

Re: I need a new skincare regimen but I don't know where to start! please help :)

No worries, it could be a system glitch depending on what browser you use to open up Beauty Talk.

The difference between a toner and cleaner is that a cleanser is the first step in removing dirt, oil, bacteria, sebum, build up, sweat, and other topical factors on your skin. Cleansers can also be fortified with ingredients that work on a cellular level to target pores and also promote healthier skin cell regeneration. Toners are a secondary or side step in a skin care routine, though it's not required to needed in every regimen, toners are great for those with skin that is especially problematic in terms of oil because it gives an additional focus to the problems. Toners can help to improve the overall resilency of your skin after cleansing, putting back into it what too strong of a wash or too harsh water can remove and prep skin to accept treatments and moisturizers better.

The Black Detox line offers a mini trial kit that I think would be perfect for you since it'll give you a variety of products to try without committing to spending full price on the items. It'll also give you enough product to work in a time frame where you can decide if the items are something you want to invest in or try other ones.

It's my pleasure to help! That's what I'm here for!

lylysa

[ Edited ]

BTW, I realized I skipped over info for an eye treatment/product, you might find this recent thread handy. I gave a run down on products that can help with puffiness but aren't going to be so intensive it causes any sensitivity or are too potent:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/VIB/What-is-a-good-under-eye-treatment-for-me-I-m-24/td-p/488051

Also a quick, DIY treatment for eyes, tea bags! Use either black or green tea (both contain caffeine, black has more), brew a cup, once the tea is ready, remove the bag, squeeze out excess fluid so the bags are slightly damp but not dripping or sopping wet. Be sure they are warm and comfortable to the touch and lay them over your closed eyes. The caffeine will help tighten the undereye area and promote drainage of fluid retention for a quick fix.

AlwaysGab

awesome! thanks for your response! I've actually only had about 5 real pimples this month... (i'm pregnant and somehow my skin is getting amazingly better) and currently i have none just dark marks. but thank you so much. I was looking into the boscia black detox so i think i might try that, i'll see what the ladies at my local sephora say when i go in and ask them also... thank you so much though!!! now i can start planning what products i want to try!

lylysa

(0) Hearts

If you really get a few number of pimples, stick with a spot treatment for when they do pop up. The Black Detox line will help with the pores, oil, and overall clarifying and removal of impurities as opposed to strictly being focused on acne or break outs.

Since you are pregnant, also go over the products you're using with your doctor just as a precautionary. Boscia is a very gentle line so there should be an issue, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

If you're cleared to use the line, give those items a try first and see how your skin reacts (it can take anywhere from 2-4 weeks for results to begin showing so patience is key) and from there you can gauge if you need to add or subtract things from the regimen. I do know the Black Detox line doesn't have a SPF moisturizer so still pick one up to keep your skin protected and healthy!

Best of luck, feel free to kick me a personal message sometime and let me know how you make on progress for your skin!

lylysa

Issues:

-Dark spots/post acne marks

-Uneven skin tone

-Enlarged pores

-Uneven texture

-Oily

Current regimen:

-Soap/water to cleanse

-Rubbing alcohol over skin

-Neutrogena Oil Free Moisturizer

-MUFE foundation/Bare Minerals Matte Powder

Addition issues wanting to address:

-Fine lines around mouth/forehead

-Bags under eyes

First thing's first....STOP the use of rubbing alcohol on your skin as a toner. Though isopropyl alcohol may help to alleviate the oil by drying out the skin and temporarily reducing the appearance of blemishes, you're also removing much need moisture from your skin, which can cause your skin to not only dry out, but send messages to your skin of "Hey, we need to produce more oil, STAT! We keep losing any and all oil we're producing so we need to replace it!" This can lead to your skin being dehydrated and emphasize the issues like the fine lines around your mouth and forehead but also worsen the oil production in your skin as now your skin is trying to overcompensate for the rapid loss in oil.

Though there alcohols that are safe for skin use, it's important to know which ones, which include: lauryl alcohol, cetyl alcohol, myristyl alcohol, steraryl alcohol, cetearyl alcochol, and behenyl alcohol. Ethanol, SD alcohol, alcohol denat, propanol, propyl alcohol, and isopropyl alcohol are all drying ones that are bad for skin and hair.

How much acne are you suffering from? Do you get 5-15 pimples a month or 15-20+ pimples a month at the bare minimum? If you fall into the first category, you may not need a full blown acne regimen as it may overdry your skin. Try instead to use acne treatments/spots treatments to target the blemishes and not dry out the rest of your skin. For a break down of active ingredients to look for in spot treatments, take a look at this thread:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/Products-for-occasional-acne-flare-ups/m-p/418187/hi...

Since there are so many issues you're facing, the key is to not overload your skin and cause more issues, tackle issues one at a time based on what matters first. For example, the fine lines are more than likely caused by dehydration and use of the alcohol, so rather than use some anti-aging line serum, stop use of the alcohol and see if that helps any first.

Large pores, blemishes, and oil can all be tackled by purifying washes such as Boscia's Black Detox line which uses charcoal to draw out impurities and oil, artichoke extract to strengthen cell/pore walls, willow bark extract to naturally treat blemishes, and jojoba extract to soothe skin. Origins also has a similar mask that contains charcoal and works similar to the one from the Black/Detox line. You can also look of a toner based with witch hazel (Murad's Clarifying Toner) as it is a natural astringent that keeps pores clean and won't dry your skin out like alcohol alone.

If you decide to tackle the lines and the dark spots, use a gentle, vitamin C based serum like Ole Henriksen's Truth serum. It won't make your skin sensitive to UV rays and doesn't rely on fading ingredients that are too strong and is a good starting point for anti-aging and evening skin tone. Vitamin C boosts the natural production of collagen in the skin and the serum uses sodium hyaluronate to boost healthy moisture levels to soften the appearance of fine lines.

It's key to get proper sun protection in the day, with problematic skin, if you don't provide proper UV protection, you're leaving your already damaged skin vulnerable to more issues like oxidative damage (which can cause premature aging, sun spots, and darken post acne marks) and even dry out your skin. Murad's Oil Free Mattifier SPF 15 and Peter Thomas Roth's Clini matte SPF 20 are great lotions that help control oil and shine. The Murad one is a tad thicker like paste, but work it with your fingers to help make it easier to apply to your face, the PTR one also contains silica to minimize the appearance of pores.

From there, try to use a primer as that will smooth over the appearance of enlarged pores, keep make up from settling into pores, lines and problem areas, and overall provide better coverage and a more even application.

For one that forms more of a barrier over your skin and also absorbs/combats oil, Givenchy's Mister Mat, Benefit's Porefessional, and Too Faced's Primed & Poreless (pink tube) are silicone/dimethicone based primers that feel silky and smooth to the touch. They glide over skin and give a diffused look. The GMM one is perfect to tackle oil, the Benefit one is great for enlarged pores and even tapped over make up on skin throughout the day to absorb shine without caking on powder or using blotting sheets, the TFP&P has brightening extracts like mulberry and licorice to even skin tone and minimize the look of pores. If you don't want something with the silky feel to your skin, Korres' Pomegranate Mattifying Primer is great as it uses more natural based ingredients to absorb oil and shine and minimize the look of pores. Cover FX also has a great primer that tackles acne/blemishes and mattifies that you can also look into.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 7 hearts
  • 2 in conversation
    • lylysa
    • AlwaysGab