rachelcolleen

Hand Cream

[ Edited ]

I am allergic to a couple of chemicals (methylchloroisothiazolinone and methylisothiazolinone) that are in a lot of products, such as hand soap, body wash and lotion. I have changed my entire line of skin care products, but my hands are still healing from an allergic reaction. Does anyone know of a good hand cream (preferably natural because of the allergies) that would help with dry, cracked skin?

These are a few products that I have found online, but I'm not sure what would be best.

Josie Maran Whipped Argan Oil Intensive Hand Cream

Fresh Brown Sugar Hand Cream

L'Occitane Shea Butter Hand Cream

Laura Mercier Almond Coconut Milk Hand Cream

lilyyy

Re: Hand Cream

My Josie Maran intensive hand cream just arrived in the mail today. Hooray! It is wonderful.

As a frequent hand washer, I find that it helps with the painful cracked skin that plagues me in the winter.

rachelcolleen

(0) Hearts

Good to know! Thanks :smileyhappy:

rachelcolleen

(0) Hearts

Thank you all soooo much for these ideas! I'm going to have to make a trip to Sephora and try them all out.

pearlgirl7

I second the Caudalie Hand Cream suggestion. It is soooo good. Not greasy, but pretty decently heavy. My hands are dry and cracked often because I have allergies and I am constantly washing my hands. This never stings them when they are cracked, and it goes a long way in healing them. 

rachelcolleen

(0) Hearts

That's great to know! I have to deal with that stinging feeling on a daily basis.

JenJenz

@rachelcolleen- I'm so glad you asked this because my mom is also allergic to those same chemicals and always complains that she has the hardest time finding good skin care products. It looks like you got some really good suggestions. I will be able to now pass the info on to my mom...maybe I'll even pick her up some of these products for Christmas :smileyhappy: 

Good luck finding something that works for you! 

rachelcolleen

I hope this thread helps your mom too! I currently use the Yes to Blueberries/Carrots/etc. line for skin care (available at Target). My sister is allergic to the same ingredients and she just started using Rodan and Fields (http://amzn.to/19JZQxO) and her hands cleared up in a few days. You might want to pass along those brands as well. :smileyhappy:

Titian06

Hi, rachelcolleen!  I second @DesertRose0706.  Cetaphil also has facial cleansers and moisturizers.

DTalksAll

I like to keep a tube of FAB Ultra Repair Cream in my bag at all times. 

swfupload_4473072007271855356.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/ultra-repair-cream-P248407?skuId=1217744

I know it's meant for the face, but I like to use it on my hands, arms, legs... 

My favorite hand cream is the clarins http://www.sephora.com/hand-nail-treatment-cream-P247517?skuId=75002 but in the winter I prefer to have a multi-tasker in my purse. 

rachelcolleen

Those both look amazing. Thanks!

Corrina777

After reading the previous comments, I just pulled out my sample of the L'Occitane hand cream to see what the fuss is about.  I have horrible eczema on my hands, so I'm always happy to hear about new products.  My hands right now are worse than normal because I needed to get a refill on the prescription steroid cream that I use to keep my skin under control.  Anyway, I have to admit that it went on nicely, very minimal burning (I have multiple patches of raw skin- pretty much anything burns at least a little right now), absorbed well- my hands don't feel greasy at all, which I don't normally find to be the case with shea butter lotions.  But I'm not entirely sure that it's really that much different from the Aveeno lotion I keep going back to (which is also free of the two preservatives you're allergic to).  

rachelcolleen

(0) Hearts

I have hand eczema with raw skin patches as well, so I completely understand that burning/stinging feeling. Thanks for the info!

DesertRose0706

For a hand/body moisturizer, I really like Cetaphils Moisturizing Cream. It is a thicker loition/cream that really helps hydrate skin.  Cetaphil is a brand that is geard towards people with sensitive skin, and from the ingrediants it doesnt look like it has the chemicals you mentioned.  you can get this from Target/Walmart for about $10.

here are the ingredients:

Water, petrolatum, glyceryl polymethacrylate, dicaprylyl ether, glycerin, dimethicone, glyceryl stearate, cetyl alcohol, Prunus amygdalus dulcis (sweet almond) oil, PEG-30 glyceryl stearate, tocopheryl acetate, benzyl alcohol, phenoxyethanol, sodium hydroxide, acrylates/C10-30 alkyl acrylate crosspolymer, dimethiconol, disodium EDTA, propylene glycol.

And a photo:

cetaphil.jpg

rachelcolleen

(0) Hearts

That price tag is very appealing. I'll definitely try this out!

consolvo

[ Edited ]

If you are near a Sephora store you should totally go and try some out. Maybe use each one on a different finger or something. :smileyhappy:

One of my favorite Sephora products is the Caudalie Hand Cream. I'm not sure if it would be intensive enough for your situation, but well worth trying it out, if possible. Okay, now I have to use some! :smileyhappy:

swfupload_7936642816217327178.jpg

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Products/Hand-Cream/td-p/729699

rachelcolleen

The smell is definitely important! I like your idea to try out lotions on each finger. I might just have to do that. :smileywink:

jellybean917

lol you made me go use this too! I love how it smells :smileyhappy:

theramenlover

I really like the L'Occitane hand creams but I find sometimes that they're a bit greasy and take a while to really melt into my skin. 

A brand that I really love is Crabtree and Evelyn. They're not widely available in stores but you can purchase them online (and at Ulta). I checked the ingredients list and they're free of those two chemicals you mentioned! 

swfupload_6658505333973125607.png

rachelcolleen

(0) Hearts

Thanks for checking for the chemicals! And I definitely need something that melts into my skin as quickly as possible! I'll check this out.

Meg82

I really like the Fresh brand, but I think you can't beat shea butter in terms of deep moisturizing so I vote L'Occitane

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 25 replies
  • 49 hearts
  • 15 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • pearlgirl7
    • theramenlover
    • rachelcolleen
    • lilyyy
    • consolvo