Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Beauty Confidential
|

Getting married in Hawaii - doing my own makeup advice/ideas/thoughts?

Hey all--

My wedding is in four short weeks, and I'm wavering on whether to pay to have my makeup done or do it myself. I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to post, but as VIBs/VIBRs, I think you all probably have as extensive a makeup collection as I do. Hence, I need some advice from others who may be as obsessed as me. 🙂

What to buy for a makeup and hair kit with humidity being a big factor? My hair will be half-up, lots of waves.  Any ideas would be appreciated!! 🙂  Esp. with the VIB sale coming up.

Should I do it myself? I think I do a pretty good job doing my makeup. Maybe? It's just my hobby, so I'm constantly testing/improving/refining techniques. I had a 'good' MUA do my engagement photo makeup, and I hate, hate my makeup in these pictures. I don't know if I can trust again. LOL 😉  Has anyone done their own for a big event and were happier with that choice?

That said. There are two major things I struggle with:

• Undereye concealer not creasing, but I have mega dark circles.  I cover them well, which looks fine in pictures, but you can tell in-person.
  • Applying false lashes - half the time one eye looks better than the other.

Sunscreen is a HUGE must for me.  I'm fair-light skinned, and we're getting married on a beach in the afternoon.  Suggestions on brands/techniques to use that both layer well under makeup, considering high-humidity, and cause little flashback?  I use Dr. Jart Every Day Sun, among other sunscreens with chemical + mineral SPF.  Honestly, I use three sunscreens a day, layering them on different parts of my face.

Contouring. Being fair, I'm considering the new Benefit Hoola Lite bronzer.  Then I saw the Light-Medium Anastasia powder contour palette.  It looks quite nice. Advice?

Sorry for this long, self-serving post.  I'm just in a worry-about-everything mode, and I'm so indecisive...  Pics of me, for reference.  And my dress for ideas about shades to use.  The dress has a gold underlay, with ivory lace on top.DressFront.jpgsarah.jpg

Re: Getting married in Hawaii - doing my own makeup advice/ideas/thoughts?

Congratulations! Your dress is so beautiful and fits you so well! Everyone has given you so many great suggestions.

Congrats!  Beach weddings are the best!  I got married right on the beach in Mexico and went for a similar look like you.  Megan Fox was my inspo and she got married in Hawaii. Her veil shot is everything! 

Don't worry too much.  Anything you don't like can be professionally photoshop! (like your dark under-eyes circles).  You look beautiful in your photos above. I like your lip color, a lot! 

Do your own hair and make-up and get your nails done at the salon the morning of your wedding so that the polish is fresh. Invest in lash extensions since you are not very good with lashes. I don't think you will regret this. 

Use Oribe Anti-Humidity spray and Oribe Hairspray.  Just use as much as you can (before the sticky/stiff hair stage).  If you are worry about too much frizz (or, losing your curls) just do an up-do. I think you look very nice in your photo with the up-do. 

There are more things to pay mind, too.  

The wind.  It is very strong at the water's edge.  My long veil went crazy as soon as I stepped on the beach.

I actually thought it flew off, but I just kept hearing....keep walking, keep walking, it is fine.

Honestly, if you are worried about the photos (yea, this is why get married on the beach!), just make sure your photographer has an assistant.  This lady was golden and made sure I looked my best the entire time. She knew the poses for the wind, sun glares, unflattering shadows, etc.  She also carried my make-up and small mirror.  The beach light around 4-6 is the best!  Glowy natural light photos. 

Make sure your veil is pinned securely.  You can do a weighted veil.  (if you don't want the long flowy veil photos or buy 2 veils).  I suggest hair in half-up/half-down style or up-do to make sure it is not all over your face during ceremony.  Don't wear lipgloss for the water ceremony just in case the hair hits your face.

These ceremonies are very quick.  Like 20-30 minutes.  Just wear make-up that doesn't wash you out.   It is super bright on the beach and your eyes can water! lol! I wore sunglasses! ;') I took then off when we said our vows, did our wedding bands, etc. 

Don't wear shoes if you are getting married on the sand.   (except for photos/walking on hard surfaces)  Watch your tan lines.  Stay out of the sun before the ceremony.  If you get fake tan do it the night before you leave.  They only last for 2-3 days before getting streaky.  

Since you are wearing strapless dress pin your bra to your dress to avoid any slips and the bra showing. 

Think about a Trash the Dress water photography session.  This was the best!  (but, I did buy another dress).  You can even do it with a white bikini and your veil. 

These were just my tips for surviving your beach ceremony.  Other things to consider is taking care of yourself before the ceremony.  Drinking lots of water, barely any alcohol, avoiding sun so that you don't get sunburned or red-faced, exercising, going to bed early and eating light.  Also, don't go to the spa until after wedding just in case you react badly to a treatment.

After the ceremony....then I went crazy.  I ate everything, drank alcohol, spa all day, partied all night.....etc.  Have fun!!!!

Another thing, don't wear your rings in the water. It is not worth it! I recently told a family member this and she forgot to tell the groom.  While on honeymoon she didn't lose hers, but the groom ending up losing his new band swimming. 

Thanks so much for the advice. 🙂  I'm considering forgoing a veil entirely just because of the wind factor.  I did buy some shoes that bring my dress up to the right height, but we're only talking about 2 inches or so.  My seamstress said I'd be holding up my dress anyhow, and even with shoes, I'd sink in a bit, so it doesn't matter a lot.  I hope she's right!  Getting the dress hemmed 1-2 inches wasn't worth the cost to me. 😉

As far as my eyes are concerned, I'm now worried I'll be squinty in the pictures.  Why I didn't think about this before is a mystery... I tend to also sneeze in direct sunlight.

I did pay extra for the sort of trash the dress session, but I like the idea of a white bikini!  

Thanks so much for all the tips--it helps that you've been there, done that 🙂

Just have fun on your wedding!  I just know that the preparation has us thinking about every single thing.

I think they are very conscious (the photographers) of how you come out in photos.  The better the photos......the more they hope you buy!  

Like Lylysa said, they actually do that countdown  (I am telling yah, that Assistant was gold!)  where you close your eyes for 2 counts and then when you open them on 3......click!   lol!!!

Yea, if you do the TTD in your bikini, then you don't have to worry about cleaning your main dress or buying a 2nd. 

If you're shooting outdoors, chances are your photographer should have reflectors or diffusion panels to help pick up harsh light from hitting you directly. If you're not sure about this, feel free to share your concerns with them and go over what material and supplies they will have to ensure you both get the best pictures from the experience. My personal tip from working with photographers and clients on outdoor shoots when the sun may be high is that if you're facing the direction where the sun is coming directly at you, have the photographer count down as they take the photo, in the meanwhile keep your eyes closed and open them just as they give you the cue of the photo being taken. This way it minimizes the likelihood of you squinting or having to deal with the sun being constantly in your eyes. Even if you're holding your eyes closed for just a few seconds before opening, this can make a huge difference in your comfort level and translate to better pictures.

Congratulations! You and your dress are gorgeous!

I see that you've gotten a ton of great advice - and as someone who is at this very moment trying to figure out her own wedding hair and makeup (going to makeup trial today actually), you are a much braver woman than I :).

Please post pics of how everything turns out!

Congratulations on your wedding!  A lot of women on Oahu have lash extensions.  They are very popular so I would check Yelp to see who does good work.  I know people who get deals on Groupon and seem to like them.

I would stick with what works and what you know photographs well.  Since you are comfortable with doing your own makeup, you will be happy with the results.  You may not have time to fix it if you hate what somebody else has done.

I don't use concealer very often, but if you are not getting married the day you arrive, I recommend that you test drive your wedding day makeup. I don't know how humid it is where you are, but it can get pretty humid, especially if there is no wind, or the wind is blowing from the south.  You can make adjustments if necessary.  That may let you know if you need to make adjustments.

Best wishes on your wedding day.  You are going to be a beautiful bride.

You've already gotten such great advice - I really just wanted to pop in and tell you that your dress is GORGEOUS.  I'm getting married this summer, and I've been debating whether to do my makeup myself or not too, so I am very appreciative that you started this thread.  I'm sure your wedding and your makeup will be absolutely wonderful.  🙂  

Wow!  All of you gave such fantastic, thorough advice. 🙂  Thank you so much!  I've started adding to my shopping cart to buy from your many suggestions. 

You've all given me the affirmation I needed. Yay! I'm comfortable doing my own makeup. In fact, I love doing my own makeup--it's pretty much my favorite part of my day. Hahaha 😄 I just know from experience to allow myself three hours for everything, which seems excessive, but I hate being rushed. Plus, my hair is past waist-length, and it takes forever to curl/spray/curl/spray, etc. 😕 So, yeah.  That's what I'm doing!  Giving myself the time and freedom to do it, and not worrying about having the makeup not reflecting 'me'.

I'm considering the lash extensions. I got them about four years ago, but from a not-very-good establishment. Basically, they broke off my lashes.  I'll do a bit of research and see if I can find a highly rated person to do them while in Oahu.

Thanks, again! 🙂

That's great that you have a handle on the time frame you'll need to get ready, being rushed (especially for a day as important as your wedding) is no fun and it'd be terrible if that rushing translated to you missing something.

For hair that length (mine is past my hips, so high five to another super long-haired gal!), depending on how you you want your waves, you may even consider putting your hair up in a ponytail (or even a few) and then using hot rollers on just the "tail" end or your curling iron/wand or flat iron to do the pin curls as I mentioned in my original post below. 

Image result for ponytail hot rollers

Image result for ponytail hot rollers

You can play with the height at which you have your ponytail(s) placed, the higher up, the more volume you'll get. This technique has been a time saver for me BIG time! I use the Calista brand long hot rollers which is perfect for super long hair because they're double the length of a typical roller:

Image result for calista hot rollers long

I let my hair cool/set with the rollers on (I'll typically roll my hair first and the move onto skin care and makeup so I'm not tempted to become impatient with waiting for my hair and so I can have something else to focus on). 

This technique is better if you want some mid to lower hanging waves as hair isn't wrapped to the root and exposed to heat. If you're wanting beachy waves that begin at the crown and closer toward the root, the pin curl method would work better to help lock in the style longer.

P.S. You're going to have a blast in Hawaii! My cousin got married in Honolulu a few years back and it was sooooo gorgeous! 

Thanks!  That's a great idea.  My hair is tricky to curl from top to bottom, if that makes sense.  I bought a beachwaver curling tool, and it works beautifully, but only the last 1/2 of my hair holds the wave.  With my hair being half-up, I think the rollers will actually work quite well. 🙂

For additional sunscreen, try the COOLA setting spray! It has SPF 30 and you could just spray it whenever your makeup needs a little lift! As for sunscreen and flashback, avoid baking with powders that have silica or silica-like ingredients in them.

If you think you want to do your own makeup, do it! However, if you have some doubts in your skills, I recccomend asking someone else to handle it, it's one thing off your mind!

For contouring, remember that contour is about shadow and contrast, whereas a bronzer (like hoola lite) is for color. I personally think cream contour lasts longer, but be careful on what products you pick, so it doesn't look like dirt. I would say the ABH cream contour or the Tarteist Pro Glow Palette. For Bronzer, I've heard good things about the Trestique Color & Contour Bronzer Stick. However, my personal favorite bronzer, is the Too Faced Chocolate Soleil. I use the Dark Chocolate version, but they make 2 other shades for paler skintones!

Have a great wedding! You'll look Beautiful!

Thanks!  I bought the Coola setting spray a while ago, and it's been sitting in my makeup cabinet... along with a thousand other things.  I'll practice using it this weekend. 🙂

Hi adorabella,

First, congratulations! You are going to be a stunning bride! You've gotten some wonderful advice on product here, so I really just want to chime in with one more vote on doing your own makeup. I did my makeup and hair for my wedding last year and am so glad I did. I felt like myself, and am very happy with how the photos turned out, so if you feel comfortable (and it won't add to your stress), I say go for it!

I also love @kso1225's suggestion of getting lash extensions before the big day. I've attended two weddings recently where the brides had lash extensions and they both looked amazing! Plus, this means you don't have to deal with lashes at all the day of your wedding. You should have time to do some research and find someone highly-rated in your area, or near your marriage location if that's more convenient for you. I would recommend getting them done at least a few days before the wedding though, just so you can get used to how they feel and practice applying makeup with them on.

I hope that helps, and have a wonderful wedding! I'm sure you've heard this a thousand times already, but make sure to take a moment to breathe and take it all in, the day really goes by so fast. 😄

-Stephanie

Congratulations! You're so beautiful and I absolutely love your dress!  You have gotten so much good advice already but I just want to add my two cents.

Doing your own makeup: Every time I've had my makeup done by a professional, I have hated it. It's not that they did a bad job, but I just didn't look (or feel) like "myself."  Practice, use high quality products, and I think you will be much happier with your own work. Just make sure doing so won't stress you out too much on the big day. I did my own makeup for my best friend's wedding because I'm so picky (and I love makeup) and everyone thought mine turned out way better than the professionals. I did a ton of research on products that look best in photos (e.g., Armani Luminous Silk, Laura Mercier Setting Powder, Hourglass ALP in Luminous Light, etc).  

Hair: As far as your hair surviving humidity, you'll want to make sure you use product that will hold your style since the humidity will make your hair revert back to your natural texture. I've had really good luck with the Alterna Multiply Mist. I spray it throughout my hair (don't need a lot) and style and it gives me more volume and holds my waves the longest of any product I own. I think it's a little drying for every day use but I really like it for special occasions.  Definitely test it out before the big day though!

Lashes: May I entertain the thought of getting lash extensions for your wedding?  If you find a reputable place, they can be amazing.  I got extensions for my best friend's wedding because it was taking place on the beach in Mexico and I didn't want to deal with smudges from humidity and tears.  You really can get a look from the more natural end of the spectrum to a more dramatic look (volume lashes) and you don't have to worry about putting them on right or glue coming off. They last for 3-4 weeks (I would get mine filled every 4 weeks). They're expensive but IMO it was so worth having them. I can go on and on about them but I highly recommend them!  

Contouring - I think the new Benefit is slightly warm for contouring (better for bronzing) so I'd recommend going with the ABH palette over it. I have both the cream and powder versions and I like them but I think even more so I'd recommend the Kevyn Aucoin Sculpting Powder.  I I have it in Medium and find it suitable for light skin tones (we look very close!) even though there's a lighter version available now. I haven't tried the light color so I can't vouch for that one.  If you order something on Sephora, use the promo code "enhance" for a deluxe sample of medium.  If you want to pick up a full size, I recommend springing for the Volume 2 contour and highlight palette. It's such a great value (the amounts are MORE than the full size products) and the highlight and eye shadows are gorgeous too!  The contour might look dark but I promise it blends out very easily - just don't use a dense brush with it.   http://www.sephora.com/the-contour-book-art-sculpting-defining-volume-ii-P401659?skuId=1751189&icid2...

Hi @adorabella,

First of all congratulations and that dress is gorgeous!! 🙂 

My favorite sunscreen that I've used is Neogen Dermalogy Day-Light Protection Sun Screen SPF 50 PA+++. I have not tested how it looks with flash photos taken, so you may want to test that first! But i absolutely love how it sinks into my skin and with my oily combo skin it does not make me more greasy and works well under my makeup. I recently wore it in Cuba where it was pretty warm and had no problems. 🙂 

If you are fair, I think the hoola lite may work better for you then the ABH contouring palette. I'm about a light-medium skintone and I found that some of the shades can be a little warm or dark for me. You could use it but I'd recommend a very light hand. It's a bit of a splurge but I've heard many many many good things about the Kevyn Aucoin sculpting powder. I heard if you use a light hand it's natural but it really gives you those chiseled cheekbones! 

For under eye circles, I would recommend looking into getting a color corrector. Peach would be a great color for lighter skintones to correct dark circles. I've recently purchased the Sephora Collection color corrector (in green) and I'm loving it! It works well with my concealer and really helps to make my redness less noticeable. 

As for false eyelashes, I'd say one of the best things you can do is practice! Watch some Youtube videos for some tips or visit your local Sephora store and have a Cast Member give you some advice! If anything, you can always have a friend apply them for you on the day of. 🙂 

I'd also totally recommend doing your own makeup if you want to! I know a few people on BT have done their own makeup and it's a fond memory for them. You know best what you like and what works best with your skin. I'd definitely do test trials of what you want to wear and how you want it to look.

XOXO,
Marieke

Congrats on the upcoming nuptials! You are gorgeous and that dress is stunning on you! 

To run down your list of inquiries, for hair, I would recommend working with hair that is at least a day or two old so natural build up can be in place to hold and maintain the waves longer versus working with freshly washed hair that is so squeaky clean it may be a bit resistant to take to the heat styling. Living Proof and Alterna are some brands that make some wonderful anti-humidity styling products from workable sprays to those that give a bit of flex so hair isn't stiff and crunchy. If your hair is a bit stubborn to holding onto heat styles, try a Living Proof's Style Primer, available in a spray or cream formula to suit your hair type (opt for the spray if your hair is thin, fine, or of normal consistency and the cream if hair is thicker, textured, or coarse). I'm assuming the goal is for waves to look touchable and tousled so having products that don't give you that "helmet head" look is key. If you're doing your hair rather early in the day before the wedding, even do pin curls to set the hair after use of your curling wand or flat iron (whichever tool you decide to use to create the waves with). Depending on how much volume you may want and the size of waves will determine the sizing of each pin curl and the amount of hair used, but in the below thread there are some reference images on how hair is pinned with either bobby pins or long billed hair clips to keep each rolled portion together. Having hair set in this position will ensure hair gets enough time to cool down and thus having the style lock in better so hair can take and maintain shape for longer. While hair may appear super curled after these portions are taken down, you can then gently work with your fingers or even a wide toothed comb to break apart and separate the sections to soften their shape and have them give a bit more as to not remain so tight in their coil.

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Hair/If-anyone-have-tips-advice-on-how-I-can-achieve-this-EXACT-hair...

Makeup for photos and makeup in real life can often times vary greatly, depending on your photo shoot/session and its elements, a heavier makeup application isn't out of the norm as the look will have to withstand studio/artificial lighting which can "wash out" what you have on. In order to remain present in photographs and make it appear you have on product, that heavier look actually serves a purpose. In terms of outdoor shooting, this is where nature gets factored in because depending on the time of day, the color temperature reads in photos can drastically vary, giving skin either a very warm or cool tone, not to mention the sun's placement as this can lead to unsightly and harsh shadows cast upon the face and body. Of course reflectors and diffusion panels can be employed in either studio or outdoor settings to combat this, but with natural sunlight can also run the risk of washing out the look of skin and it may read so bright on camera that it makes makeup "fade away". In terms of having makeup be "camera ready" in the aspect of not having any flashback or appear unflattering in photos, the use of silica-based, high definition powders are utilized. With any makeup item, it does require a bit of a learning curve as too much HD powder or misuse can indeed cause it to register on camera and appear unflattering. For more information regarding silica powders, their usage and application tips, how mineral powders can register on camera, color temperature, and lighting, check out my response in the below thread. I've essentially gathered all past threads where I've chimed in on these matters and there are tons of visual references to illustrate things better too:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/Setting-Powder-with-No-flashback/qaq-p/2741177

If you feel you wish to seek out an artist in the remaining time frame, definitely book for trial or test runs and even see if they can be aligned with a test shoot with your photographer so you're not only please with how makeup looks in person but on camera as well. If you're not wanting to push your luck in the hunt, definitely schedule a solo test run with your photographer after you've applied your own makeup to see what can be adjusted and how things translate to photos so this way there are no surprises come the day of.

Another user just inquired about concealer tips for dark circles, and frankly, this will come down to practice and experimenting with application/technique and products. Even if a concealer has a great formula, too much of it or not enough won't make it yield the best results. The below thread is where I gave tip on prepping via skin care (includes a breakdown of ingredients to keep an eye out for, no pun intended, to target dark circles), the usage of correctors (if needed), identifying undertones in dark circles, concealer formulas, and application tips:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/What-s-the-proper-techinque-for-concealing-dark-circ...

False lashes will also take some practice, but here are some threads with tips on application and even helping to determine what type of lash style may fit best to the look you're going for:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Eyes-Q-A/Falsh-Lashes/qaq-p/403715

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Eyes/False-lashes/m-p/1784792/highlight/true#M23043

I mentioned in the first thread about applying a dot of glue along the back of your hand and running the lash band through that to skim on a light amount of product, but you can also take a clean bobby pin and use that as a tool to apply the glue onto the band so it's a more controlled application and you won't be as likely to overwhelm the band with glue if you were to squeeze it from the tube direct and try to apply it on the band from there.

With the aspect of sunscreen, that's touched on a bit above in the HD powder threads. Mineral-based sunscreens are what is reflective and with it being an outdoor wedding, you can actually get away with mineral-based SPF a bit better because it doesn't read as harsh on camera with natural lighting as it does with studio/added lighting. ColorScience, Peter Thomas Roth, Sweat Cosmetics, Bare Minerals, and Supergoop all have SPF setting powders that you can brush onto skin to reapply your sunscreen without having to interfere with your makeup. Or you may even opt into a SPF spray if you're not wanting to keep applying a powder. Dr. Dennis Gross, Supergoop, and Coola have facial SPF mists that can be employed for this, just be sure to mist from far back away to where you're not oversaturating skin and remoistening makeup heavily. If you're worried about the mineral SPF element in the products with added studio lighting, you may wish to do a very thin application of a HD powder, but I would advise not to do this too frequently as the build up of silica will register with flash photography if too much is built up (again, covered in the HD powder threads).

In terms of contouring, it's a personal preference to the degree that you want it present. While it's fun to "transform" with makeup, most of the time for wedding images, keeping to a more genuine "you" appearance is what brides aim for. I've worked with many clients who may experiment every now again with bright or bold colors, but for their big day, they wanted something more timeless versus trendy as to not have photos that they look back on and go "Ugh, why did I decide to try out XYZ on THAT particular day?" The Hoola bronzer is a great, neutral toned shade that is perfect for contouring fair skin without making it appear ruddy or orange. While the Anastasia kits are great sellers, if you're not super keen on doing a very involved or in-depth contoured and highlighted look with all the colors, the kit may not be worth the investment. I've seen clients who have the kit and maybe use 2 or 3 shades primarily and rarely touch the others. Again, depending on how makeup savy you want to be or how well versed you are with incorporating a myriad of highlight and contour shades, you may not need something that expansive. Something like Smashbox's Step-By-Step Contour Kit, Too Faced's Cocoa Contour Kit, or even MUFE's Sculpting Kit are more concentrated variations that provide one with suitable shades without necessarily making one feel overwhelmed or "required" to use each and every single color.

If you're able, stop by your local Sephora to test out and see products you're considering in person before making a decision. This way you can also speak with Cast Members and get a complimentary Beauty Studio service that can focus on concealer tips or contouring so that you can try on products as well!

All the best and congrats again! 

Hey girl first of all I want to say congratulations and that I love your dress! Second, I totally know the feeling of getting your makeup done for pictures and hating it! With that said, I do love getting my makeup done for special events, but it did take me a long time to find a MUA that could get everything perfect for me and the way I like things done. Since you’re having a destination wedding I assume you would try to find one there? I’m sure you can find an amazing MUA. I think if you do decide to get your makeup done it will for sure eliminate the stress on the big day (but still be stressing about your makeup lol) Anyways its all up to you on that call! If you do decide to do it yourself I feel I can give some advice, hope I can help lol

CONTOUR

I definitely am not a fair skinned girl but I do know that I love to cream contour for special times and even daily! I love the Clinque chubby stick as well as the Nars sculpting duo. As for powder contour, I personally love the Kevyn Aucoin sculpting powder. The sculpting powder is a single pan and I believe it comes in a light shade, I have a darker shade and LOVE it!

LASHES

I compeletly understand this struggle! It took me awhile to get used to applying fake lashes! There are some great videos on youtube to help you out. One video that I remember helping me a lot was a video by ‘Denitslava Makeup’ also something that really changed the game of applying lashes for me was an actual pair of lash tweezers that was like the wide U looking part at the bottom. The shape of them really helps me when applying the lashes. I usually hold the lashes upward with the twezzers in the center of the lashes and apply down on the center first and the do the ends, I know a lot of people do the ends first but I find it easier this way.

CONCEALER

As for concealer have you tried color correcting? I think that could help you a lot if you feel your circles are really noticeable, try the makeup forever correctors and maybe a less heavy concealer such as the urban decay naked one. I like to set my under eye area with a loose powder on my beauty blender (I also apply all my setting powders with a beauty blender to make sure everything is very blended and soft)

I hope some of this helps! Also check out some Wayne Goss videos on youtube if you want further guidance from an amazing MUA!

First off, congratulations!

As far as doing your makeup/versus hiring someone, I say definitely do some tests for yourself, and possible do test runs with professionals if you're still interested. When my uncle was getting married, his now-wife tried going to a MUS for a test and it was awful, so she ended up doing her own very simple makeup for the wedding and looked lovely.

For sunscreen, I've not tried any but I know there's some brands that have a powder mineral sunscreen that can be layered over or under makeup. This might be helpful for touching up sunscreen without disturbing your makeup.

For contouring, I find that cream contour looks the most natural when layers under foundation. I have very fair skin and I adore the ABH fair cream contour palette. If you end up going cream, with your skin I would definitely recommend the Fair versions versus going for the Light to Medium one, or else the highlight shades may be too dark. If you want powder though, ABH still does contouring products well so I'd recommend it over Hula Lite. 

Agreed! I did my own makeup and hair for my wedding in Carmel, and I tested out products and checked it in different lighting and took pics so I could see how it looked. I think I did that at least 4 months prior, just to make sure I had everything figured out ahead of time.

That said, my sister helped me out the day of the wedding and ended up changing things up a bit to add a bit more color to my eyes. Fortunately, it ended up working out great.

Good luck and Congratulations!!

Conversation Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 31 Hearts Given
  • 14 Contributors
Photos2
  • sarah.jpg
  • DressFront.jpg
testing