beautytester

Drugstore products you like better than high ends?

So high-end products are generally better than drugstore products, but are there any drugstore products that you like/use much more than the high end ones?

I like to try new things all the time and got all these fancy $40+ foundations, BB/CC cream on my list. However, the one that I reach for most often and enjoy using the most is Maybelline Dream BB cream. It matches my skintone almost perfectly, brightens my complexion, and is easy to apply (no streaks whether I use finger or brush or apply it haphazardly). It have a moisturizer consistency rather than the watery/powdery, thick/stuffy or creamy/oily feel of other things I've tried.......in short it does everything I could ask for in $7.......except here I am, still flirting with the higher-end TM/BB/CC creams feeling like there's something better out there and I wouldn't be satisfied until I tried every single products.....or should I settle down and live happily ever after with my Maybelline BB?

#BeautyTesterDilemma

clarks18

Re: Drugstore products you like better than high ends?

Cover Girl Lash Blast Clump Crusher mascara.  It's the best mascara.  It keeps my lashes curled, separates them, and volumizes without being clumpy.  As much as I go through mascara I really like the proce point of this mascara.  I can't imagine spending more than $10 on mascara.  I am all about high end products but I love my Covergirl mascara. 

I also use the Oil of Olay eye roller gel. To me it works better than Clinique's All About Eyes Roller.  It's pretty expensive for drugstore at around $18 but I usually have a coupon so it's worth it in the end. 

Also NYX HD Concealer.  I love this for under the eye.  It is not a full coverage concearler more of a light-medium coverage.  They have a color that is actually light enough for me which I greatly appreciate.  I believe this concealer is about $7 maybe.  Definitely not more than $10. 

Tayvm

I've found a few concealers I like and haven't really pursued a higher end one.  Mabelline Fit Me and L'Oreal True Match.  I feather them into the skin with a Real Techniques Dome Shadow brush and set with Tarte Smooth Operator.  No creasing under the eyes once set. 

rainbowveins084

Agreeing with Poshified.  Cover Girl Lash Blast mascara is the only mascara I have used and been completely happy with and its only $9!

sephoramusthave

Oh and Maybelline the falsies mascara! Love that stuff!

EllieyJelly

My favorite lip product is Revlon Just Bitten in Honey. Nothing has ever come close to me and I have purchased, received and used plenty of high end lip products. I'm not a fan of lip products in general but Honey is the love of my lip. 

sephoramusthave

Makeup wise, I swear by the rimmel stay matte powders. I have tried many, many high end setting powders, and this beats them all. I have at least 3 different colors at all times, and they only cost 3.99 a pop at target, so I can afford to stock up/try more shades. I also love love the burts bees lip shimmers, I love them just as much or more than most of my high end lipsticks. And the flower beauty line by drew Barrymore at walmart has a nice liquid foundation---the about face foundation, that's really really lovely and for only 13 bucks I think.

Skincare wise, I'm quite loyal to burts bees and the yes to brand. I love the soapbark and chamomile cleanser as a AM cleanser, it really wakes me up because it tingles, the bb citrus facial scrub is my all time favorite scrub, and the yes brand makes good face wipes and masques.

girlystuff63

I lIke the way you just put it. I only want things I truly love in my collection. I'm going to steal that line but I will give you credit. As I get older, I find I care about packaging and luxury and why not?  When I reach for my MJ lip balm and twist the cap off and hold it in my hand, it makes me happy. When I click the button on my Vice 2 palette it makes me happy and looking at the pretty purple box with the diamond looking UD on the cover makes me smile. I am more than happy to pay extra for pretty packaging because it makes it part of the experience and for me, putting on makeup each day is a joy and a experience. 

I have a drugstore brow gel, NYX white eye base and NYX brow kit in my collection. 

Gjk27

Eucerin facewash  for dry sensitive skin is a dupe for "fresh" face wash. Try it and let me know what u think .:smileyhappy:

neko333

It's not drugstore, but it's drugstore price. I'm in love with my Holika Holika Clearing BB Cream. It really helps my skin. My mom and me both use it now. She loved how nice my skin looked with it on so she got one as well. 

I switched back to wearing foundation (as I had a ton of samples of it I needed to use) and my skin started to be crappy. I went back to my BB and it's back to normal. One of the ingredients in it is Tea Tree oil which probably helps (my skin has always loved Tea Tree oil). It's the only makeup I've ever used that my skin actually looked better when I take it off. My only complaints are I wish it was a tad lighter and I wish it was fragrance free. 

I have probably 20 different colors of Wet n' Wild nail polish. The majority of my eye shadow is also drugstore. Just recently I bought an Aziza eye shadow from the dollar store as it looked kind of like the Ludwig palette I've had my eye on. I've been using everyday and it works well. 

emmielou

Absolutely mascara-- you have to replace them so frequently for hygienic purposes, it's really not worth shelling out $25 or more every THREE months! I'm a big fan of Cover Girl mascaras - I think they always have nice formulas in regular and waterproof. 

BrennaMcD

Mascara! There are so many good mascaras in the drugstore that I don't think people need to waste their money buying high end ones. 

melde

I'm not sure there are any I like better, but there are a few I like just as much... Hmm, I should sort through my stash and make a list!

tbuss

I love Live Clean shampoos and conditioners - I tried it when I ran out of Ojon and it works wonderfully, although I'm sure the amount of Argan oil is much less than HE... :smileyhappy:  And it's only $5 at drug stores!!  

but I do love the sample size mascaras and glosses and liners....  And hair oils!  oh man I love this time of year when all the beautiful gift sets come out :smileywink:

annekevdb

I really like NYX eye pencils. They are soft and have intense color. I think they are as good as the UD ones, and way way cheaper. Wet and Wild makes good eye shadows, and I like some of their lipsticks.

I only use drug store shampoo, body wash, conditioner, etc. I can't see spending $25 or whatever on shampoo. 

emmaclaire

Actually, yes!  I bought the YSL Glossy Stain and hated it, only to find I loved the L'Oreal version (please don't throw rocks at me, BT, I know everyone loves YSL Glossy Stains!)

beautytester

*gasp* blasphemous! lol, it's ok, I don't own any YSL things. They are on my wishlist, but my skincare.makeup are pretty backlogged. Maybelline Babylips cherry is the perfect colored tinted lip balm for me, I'm thinking of going to Sephora and try to match it at some point, but honestly I'll prob just get another babylips when I'm done. =)

emmaclaire

I feel like a fraud LOL!  I found the L'Oreal version to have a less obnoxious smell (it smells like burnt rubber - both YSL and L'Oreal, but L'Oreal is less noticeable and fades), FAR more pigment, and better staying power.  And I love YSL - it was a very strange time in my life when I discovered this haha!

Strangely enough I haven't tried the Babylips at all, but after this little conversation I might have to stop off at Walgreens on the way home to give it a whirl!  And come to think of it, I really strongly prefer my good old fashioned Blistex Medicated chapstick over any high end or Sephora sold lip balm, but I'm not sure if that's weird or not LOL

eboneezer

I want to try the Maybelline BB. I love Revlons BB, its a little light, but I just put a darker powder over it. I also love the 3D volume mascara, it reminds me of "theyre real" just a lot cheaper

anb0906

Is the Maybelline bib cream matte at all? I've tried every high end, and even a few straight from Korea BB creams, and I can't find one I like. 

beautytester

Maybelline BB is not matte. It's a very natural/dewy finish. I think you can see streaks easier with matte finish, and if you want more coverage here and less there then you will have more matte spots here and less matte there. I like Maybelline's natural finish and when I get the coverage I want, I use a mattifying powder if needed.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 42 replies
  • 68 hearts
  • 35 in conversation
    • emmielou
    • kalex
    • dannyc
    • mberteig
    • sephoramusthave
    • hydee77