ChicDabbler

Drugstore products you like better than high ends?

So high-end products are generally better than drugstore products, but are there any drugstore products that you like/use much more than the high end ones?

I like to try new things all the time and got all these fancy $40+ foundations, BB/CC cream on my list. However, the one that I reach for most often and enjoy using the most is Maybelline Dream BB cream. It matches my skintone almost perfectly, brightens my complexion, and is easy to apply (no streaks whether I use finger or brush or apply it haphazardly). It have a moisturizer consistency rather than the watery/powdery, thick/stuffy or creamy/oily feel of other things I've tried.......in short it does everything I could ask for in $7.......except here I am, still flirting with the higher-end TM/BB/CC creams feeling like there's something better out there and I wouldn't be satisfied until I tried every single products.....or should I settle down and live happily ever after with my Maybelline BB?

#BeautyTesterDilemma

Loricaaa

Re: Drugstore products you like better than high ends?

I definitely suffer from 'makeup snobbery' when it comes to beauty products. I think working at the beauty counters during high school & college has brainwashed me. Haha. Overall, I think high end stuff is better quality but I feel like for some products I'm just paying for the pretty packaging (which I'm a sucker for :smileyhappy: ).

My favorite drugstore items:

Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains

Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation

Maybelline Eye Studio Gel Liner

Olay Regenerist Serum

Oddly enough, my eyes don't like any other mascara but the Dior Diorshow! I tried several drugstore ones and most of them left me with extremity red/dry eyes. Too be fair, so do most other high end mascaras.

hydee77

[ Edited ]

I like drug store mascara better than high end because of the shelf life of mascara.  I would rather spend less money on things that have a lesser shelf life because I don't think I have ever used up a mascara before the 3 month "throw it out date", whether it was high end or drugstore.  My favorite brand is L'oreal.  I used to LOVE Revlon's Natural Beauty mascara but they discontinued it.

I'll have to try the Maybelline BB Cream.  I like Physician's Formula Talc Free Mineral Loose Powder.  I use it as a setting powder for the Tarte BB Cream.

poshified

I definitely am a drugstore mascara junkie! Cover Girl 24Hr Lash Blast has been my HG mascara since it first launched :smileyhappy:

ry22

Shampoo, conditioner, body wash, body lotion, deodorant, face wash because same price for comparable products

mberteig

Agree!

linda711

Anything from the Burt's Bees line, I love it all.  They are carried at Rite Aid, Walgreens, and even Macy's has their line now.  Good stuff!

KayyLynn

I tend to never reach for my drugstore items and just cleared 95% of them out of my drawers to get rid of, I just want things I truly love in my collection. But there are a couple drugstore items I would repurchase and actually reach for. First I LOVE the Jordana mascara, I switch between it and Benefit They're Real but would actually choose the Jordana if I could only choose one! I also enjoy the Revlon Colorstay foundation. Those are my main two but I like Physicians Formula eyeliners, NYC Sunny bronzer and the Maybelline Dream Matte powder as well.

mberteig

I definitely like drugstore mascaras better than high end ones. 

shaynation

I love love love the olay regenerist microderm/peel combo. I think its like $25... its been in my regime longer than anything else! Granted I do top it with high end serums and creams lol

SirenPrincess

You know ... I'm thinking about it and a lot of my drug store faves have been discontinued and I don't like their replacements.

Current drug store favs:

• Almay Get Up and Grow Mascara (only mascara that doesn't irritate my eyes at all)
  • Almay Primer (the one with green and purple that combine together)

Old drug store favs (discontinued):

• Revlon Blush in 03 Blushed
  • L'oreal eyeshadow quads
pinkonyx

I REFUSE to buy high end mascara, I Have in the past and it was no better than DRUGSTORE mascara (Lancôme, Cargo, Clinique, Estee Lauder...). Sorry I don't have 40 dollars to blow on mascara that does basically the same thing as my 6 dollar mascara. I like cover girls professional mascara, and I like double extend by L'Oreal.

DTalksAll

See I never bought a drugstore mascara that I liked, so I always stuck with H. Then again I never buy mascara, I hoard the samples from Sephora like it's my job :smileywink: 

DTalksAll

You know me.... nothing. I buy toothpaste, nail polish remover, sometimes nail polish, deodorant (rarely because I love Fresh so much), vitamins, razors & that's about it. I even replaced my body lotion & shower gel with HE. 

I just don't have the energy to get disappointed with drug store items now. I've tried so many products, so many times & am never satisfied with them. 

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

Haha, I guess my dilemma is if I really like the $7 BB cream I'm using, is it worth it to explore the $40-60 high end stuff?

lilyyy

Come to think of it, I think everything I use is HE too. It's not something that I actively tried to do but after getting disappointed with store brands, I subconsciously switched over to nicer and more reliable brands.

verbeana

@beautytester do what works for you! So if $7 bb cream makes you feel like a rock star/movie star/gorgeous girl next door then keep using it and keep trying other drugstore products if you think they will be winners.

its all about your wants and needs.

and as far as fav drugstore products go - Burt's bees citrus scrub is $7 and totally delicious (meaning - I really love it! I don't eat it 😜) 

kalex

Agreed!  I buy generic toothpaste, polish remover, nail polish ($2 or $20 chips within 2 days anyway), and deodorant.

I used to fall into the "beauty award" trap and buy the things editors raved about, but no more!  The last thing was the Revlon Colorstay 12-hour Quad.  I bought 2 of them and they were awful.  I really want to know what those people who raved about them were comparing them to.

Kyndra

It depends on the product and personal preference. I too absolutely love Maybelline's Dream BB Cream (it's one of my holy grails) and I like Neutrogena skin products better than higher end . But I prefer higher end primers, foundations & powders. They work better with my skin in my opimion

spoiledbrat

* deodorant

* Essie polish - a color has to knock it out of the park for me to cough up more $ - if it does, i will use the entire bottle cause i love it so much; and of course get a back up - that is the main reason i have so much product; 75% of it is backups! - i took all the bins to the basement!

knadala

I happen to love my drugstore foundations, they are either better or on the same level as most of my high end brands. I loooove my Revlon foundations, the price is so worth the value and quality you are getting. I also feel the same about mascara's, there are a handful of brands which can compete on the same level as high end brands: Maybelline, Almay, and Covergirl.

What seems to only work for me in the high end category is BB creams, the drugstore brands just don't match my skin type and make me feel like I get the coverage and quality I am looking for.

vanillammm

In general, I tend to favor drugstore mascaras over prestige brands.

I also like drugstore body lotion. I go through so much it would be ridiculous to pay prestige prices when the less expensive versions are just as effective and usually in much larger bottles.

Drugstore cosmetics have come a LONG way in the last decade. I remember when all drugstore eyeshadows basically looked the same because they had no pigment and could only give you a wash of color so sheer it could barely be detected. That is no longer the case.

Drugstore foundations have stepped it up a notch, too. 

We are seeing these improvements in the price tags, though.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 42 replies
  • 68 hearts
  • 35 in conversation
    • emmielou
    • kalex
    • DTalksAll
    • mberteig
    • sephoramusthave
    • hydee77