Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Medi-Spa Peel

My love for Sephora continues. I was sent a comped, brand new, full sized Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Medi-Spa Peel (launching 08-26-14) to review. I will use it for the first time tonight, so check back to this post if the product interests you.

Sephora Dr Gross Haul 2.jpg

Sephora Dr Gross Haul.jpg

Re: Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Medi-Spa Peel

My review finally posted on the product page.  Woohoo!  No need to read it as it is the same stuff I wrote below.  I was just happy it posted this time and wanted to share.

FINISHED YESTERDAY!  I am copying and pasting excerpts from my website, so it may be redundant.  I did not want to type this out twice though (and people reading that may not have seen this thread at all).

My journey ended yesterday as I used the final of 16 weekly treatments. It took me a little longer than 16 weeks to complete the product. Due to sickness and vacation, I took some weeks off. That proved to be a mistake. There are 16 individual peels inside the jar. They’re pre soaked circular pads that are extremely thick. Another user and I (as you can follow along on the thread I attached) noticed that the pads started drying out right when the jar was opened. She decided to transfer her pads to a more secure container. Although, I considered it. I ultimately decided to keep the item in the original container. I thought it would be better for the review.

As my journey took closer to five months than four, the last 3 pads were pretty dry. After the third to last barley gave me any liquid, and I felt it was a wasted peel. With the last 2 pads, I decided to wet them slightly with water to re-activate the liquids. Although, I am sure it reduced the effectiveness slightly, I know it was better than the nearly dry pad. You can feel these pads working, especially if you have an open cut or acne on your face. The pads cause the area to sting a little. It is not a sting I cannot handle, but it is definitely noticeable. Despite having an open wound the day I used the almost dry pad, I felt nothing meaning the active ingredients were not as effective as they usually are. When I used the last two pads activated with additional water, I felt the usual burning. You will feel no burning at all if you have no cuts or acne, which I was fortunate enough to experience a few times.

Each package contains 16 peel pads (step 1), a 0.5oz firming peptide milk (step 2) and a headband. I only ever used the peptide milk and nothing else on my skin immediately following treatment. I have extremely dry skin, but I found it held enough moisture to hold me over until the next face wash. Nervous, my skin would feel dry, I used three pumps with every treatment. Surprisingly, I still have peptide milk left now that the peel pads are gone. Thus, I recommend 3 pumps with each pad. The combination of these two products can leave your face feeling sticky. Through trial and error, I discovered the stickiness was reduced when I waited five minutes between the finish of the peel pad to the application of the milk. That is two minutes over the recommendation of the product.

Even with the five minute technique, your skin will probably still feel slightly sticky. Thus, I suggest this treatment be applied at night before bed. Sticky skin when you're going about your morning is not ideal. This product creates an incredible glow that seems to linger on average of about 4-5 days with the glow being the most beautiful immediately after application and fading over time. If you want a nice glow for your day, it may be worth enduring the slightly sticky skin. I did that a couple of times and found it worthwhile.

My skin improved greatly with this product. The ingredients definitely work hard. I love the glow, and that the glowing effects stay on your face after many washes. When your skin is normally dull, you will definitely notice the difference of glowing skin. The verdict is this is an excellent product if used within 16 weeks or transferred to more secure container. Skin will glow and improve in overall texture. I recommend it highly. It is expensive at $110, but a single treatment only costs $6.88. That is not too bad. For an even better deal, this can be purchased during chic week for 15% off or the fall sale for 20% off. My plan is to pick up my next one in the fall if I have made my way through most of my mask stash by then. If I have not, I will pick it up during chic week next year. I will definitely purchase this again (even if I must pay $110).

I also want to read from other people who went on this journey to see where they are.

notcreative, I trust your review.  And I am already a huge fan of the Alpha/Beta peel pads.  I think I will be purchasing this.

Thanks so much for talking about the logistics of the container and such...I will be careful to make sure my pads won't dry out.

If you use the product from start to finish in 15 weeks, it will probably be fine.  If there is any chance it may take longer, I would move containers.  I am really interested to read what everyone else thinks.  

Does anyone have any product left?  Did yours dry out?

[ Edited ]

Great review notcreative. I just want to add something from my experience. I liked the results I got with the regular application but for me it turns out to be a product if you stop using the problems with the skin resurface. Being in hospital for almost 4 weeks, I have not used it during this period and I can see the hyper pigmentation @ a few spots on my face has reappeared Smiley Sad

[ Edited ]

Thanks.  I tried to write another review on the product page (by copying this and pasting it there as well). Hopefully, it takes this time.  It really bothers me that my last, extremely detailed, super thought out review was not posted.

I hope you're doing better soon, Saima.  It is probably because I used Dreamtone for a long time before starting this product, but I did not get a lot of assistance with my hyper pigmentation at all.  I think Dreamtone got it looking as good as it can, but nothing seems to make mine go completely away.  

I think as long as the issues causing the hyper pigmentation are present, no product will be a permanent fix, because they will keep recurring.  As long as you keep using effective products though, it should reduce the appearance.  I am no expert, so maybe Lylysa or Jemly can weigh in on that.

Thank you , I'm much better and finally I'm going back home today.

Is Dreamtone a prescribed product? If no then where I can buy it? Since you get good result from it, So I want to give it a try.

[ Edited ]

It's a Lancome serum.  Some people say the ingredients are not great for you, so look at it before you buy it.  I never look at ingredients and just buy what I like.  I do not usually buy a product without sampling first, but there were no samples available for a while when it first came to the market.  I held out for about two weeks before I plopped down the money.  Worth every penny.

Yay!  Glad you're going home.

I'll sure give it a try Smiley Happy

It's been out for a while, so you should be able to try a sample first before investing now.  I hope it works for you. Good luck.

Hello BTers! It's been weeks since I've posted. Life got the best of me, but I am back.

I have been using this peel for 5 weeks now. 

I have extremely sensitive, combination, acne-prone skin. I am on Rx for acne including Atralin (tretinoin 0.05%) and Acanya (combo of benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin). I have had or used dozens and dozens of peels over the years, including at least 10 in doctors' offices.

I am 38yo. I have fine lines around my eyes and fairly deep 11 lines. 

I received gratis samples from DDG and Sephora. My partner also used this peel for the first two weeks. However, it broke him out terribly and caused his skin to peel on his nose. The irritation was too much for him and he stopped.

For me:

I have liked the results, but I don't think I like them as much as some of the other posters here. I don't believe I would repurchase at $110. However, if the milk were sold separately, I would probably purchase that.

I do notice that after using the peel, I do have a "glow" and my skin appears more radiant. I don't find that this result lasts more than 24 hours. Now, that's nothing to sniff at, but I haven't experienced long-term effects as others have had.

The first 3 weeks, I noticed that appearance of thefine lines around my eyes (especially the cross-hatching underneath) diminished. Since that time, I haven't noticed any other lines diminishing. On the other hand, I have noticed that the fine lines have remained diminished.  Again, nothing to sniff at!
I agree that my skin is smoother and more even. But this only lasts a few days after the peel. I still need to exfoliate mid-week (2-3 days post-DDG peel) to keep my skin smooth and even.

The stickiness isn't a very pleasant texture.

Cons

Packaging -- terrible! the pads dry up. I transferred them to a smaller, air-tight container. That helped a lot, but this shouldn't be necessary -- at this price point or otherwise

Price vs. Result -- I think the results from this product have been fairly modest given the price point. I think I would be more inclined to purchase a salicylic acid peel from MUAC at 1/9th the price and for a greater, longer-lasting effect.

Texture of pads -- I don't care for the stickiness of this solution, but it wouldn't be reason enough to turn me away.

Pros

Milk! Milk! Milk! -- I love, love, love the milk! I didn't like it at first, but I think it just didn't pair well with the stickiness of the peel. The milk definitely stops the irritation from the peel in its tracks for me, but it also absorbs well into the skin. I have been using this milk mid-week or three times/week. It helps keep my skin radiant and even. I just love it. I wish DDG sold it separately. IMHO, this peel comes with a generous amount of milk, and only a few drops are necessary for the whole face, decollete, neck, back of hands.

Improved skintone, radiance, texture -- This product has improved and evened out my skin. 
Mildness -- Look, it's a peel, and virtually any peel is going to cause some degree of irritation/redness. But, given this necessity, this peel is fairly mild and I haven't experienced much longer-term irritation or sensitivity, which is fairly miraculous for me. I am even able to use Rx acne treatments on the same night without incident (another miracle).

How I use it:

I wash my face and then use toner. I don't use a Clarisonic to wash my face on the nights that I use this peel

It would be too much for my skin. Then I put the peel on dry skin. I wait 3 - 5 minutes and then put the milk on it. This peel has been mild enough that I even use the Atralin (tretinoin 0.05%) right before bed and haven't noticed any irritation.

I am glad that this product is working so well for so many of you!

I am assuming this is your review for the product page.  I wish I would have thought to put it on this thread, so I can keep resubmitting it until they actually post it.

I wrote my review last night and saved it on the note pad as well but surprisingly it is already posted on the product page within a few hours of submission besides I gave it 4 stars due to price tag.

I agree with your stars, fatimamummy. It's a good product, but the price gives me pause. I would also give 4 stars (out of 5).

That was a good idea, right? I'll probably save mine in a Word document. 

Yup. I've had enough heartache on the product pages. When it's up-and-ready, I will just cut-and-paste it on ovah. . . 

[ Edited ]

Yes, the packaging really needs to be improved! That is my only gripe with this product. You shouldn't have to transfer the pads to another container. Mine pretty much dried up within a week of being in the original packaging. 

It seems like such an oversight for a usually on-point company. Surely DDG will fix this. Individual packets would be nice to keep the efficacy, but I hate the environmental impact of individual wrapping. Surely there's a good middle ground.

I know that my mom uses a Philosophy product which has retinoid pads in a tub. You pour the solution on the pad right before you use it. That prevents the pads from drying out. 

I like the idea of these DDG pads more (they are convenient because you do not have to add the solution to the pads yourself), if only these didn't dry out. So hopefully DDG can come up with a good middle ground. 

So, it's been a few weeks since I've posted an update, but that doesn't mean the magic hasn't been happening. Over time I'm noticing that the glow lasts longer and it's starting to appear deeper and more radiant, like I'm younger, drink as much water as I should, and exercise a lot. Not one of those things is reality-based. I also have a cautionary tale. Last week I did it late in the day, skipped my usual PM skin stuff and fell asleep. Don't do that. The next morning my skin was really, really sticky and the residue took hours to wear/wash off. So, now I'm wondering - it says don't rinse (at least I think it does), but how long after the treatment are people waiting before they wash their face? BTW - the stickiness doesn't in any way take away from how wonderful I I think the product overall is. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
Photos28
  • Sephora Dr Gross Haul 2.jpg
  • Sephora Dr Gross Haul.jpg
  • Dr Gross peel week 1 Before.jpg
  • Dr Gross peel Week 1 after.jpg
  • Dr Gross Peel Week 1 before unretouched.jpg
  • Dr Gross Peel Week 1 after unretouched.jpg
  • IMG-20140826-01250 (2).jpg
  • IMG_1691.jpg