notcreative

Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Medi-Spa Peel

My love for Sephora continues. I was sent a comped, brand new, full sized Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Medi-Spa Peel (launching 08-26-14) to review. I will use it for the first time tonight, so check back to this post if the product interests you.

Sephora Dr Gross Haul 2.jpg

Sephora Dr Gross Haul.jpg

HarlemJPN

Re: Dr Dennis Gross Alpha Beta Medi-Spa Peel

Hello BTers! It's been weeks since I've posted. Life got the best of me, but I am back.

I have been using this peel for 5 weeks now. 

I have extremely sensitive, combination, acne-prone skin. I am on Rx for acne including Atralin (tretinoin 0.05%) and Acanya (combo of benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin). I have had or used dozens and dozens of peels over the years, including at least 10 in doctors' offices.

I am 38yo. I have fine lines around my eyes and fairly deep 11 lines. 

I received gratis samples from DDG and Sephora. My partner also used this peel for the first two weeks. However, it broke him out terribly and caused his skin to peel on his nose. The irritation was too much for him and he stopped.

For me:

I have liked the results, but I don't think I like them as much as some of the other posters here. I don't believe I would repurchase at $110. However, if the milk were sold separately, I would probably purchase that.

I do notice that after using the peel, I do have a "glow" and my skin appears more radiant. I don't find that this result lasts more than 24 hours. Now, that's nothing to sniff at, but I haven't experienced long-term effects as others have had.

The first 3 weeks, I noticed that appearance of thefine lines around my eyes (especially the cross-hatching underneath) diminished. Since that time, I haven't noticed any other lines diminishing. On the other hand, I have noticed that the fine lines have remained diminished.  Again, nothing to sniff at!
I agree that my skin is smoother and more even. But this only lasts a few days after the peel. I still need to exfoliate mid-week (2-3 days post-DDG peel) to keep my skin smooth and even.

The stickiness isn't a very pleasant texture.

Cons

Packaging -- terrible! the pads dry up. I transferred them to a smaller, air-tight container. That helped a lot, but this shouldn't be necessary -- at this price point or otherwise

Price vs. Result -- I think the results from this product have been fairly modest given the price point. I think I would be more inclined to purchase a salicylic acid peel from MUAC at 1/9th the price and for a greater, longer-lasting effect.

Texture of pads -- I don't care for the stickiness of this solution, but it wouldn't be reason enough to turn me away.

Pros

Milk! Milk! Milk! -- I love, love, love the milk! I didn't like it at first, but I think it just didn't pair well with the stickiness of the peel. The milk definitely stops the irritation from the peel in its tracks for me, but it also absorbs well into the skin. I have been using this milk mid-week or three times/week. It helps keep my skin radiant and even. I just love it. I wish DDG sold it separately. IMHO, this peel comes with a generous amount of milk, and only a few drops are necessary for the whole face, decollete, neck, back of hands.

Improved skintone, radiance, texture -- This product has improved and evened out my skin. 
Mildness -- Look, it's a peel, and virtually any peel is going to cause some degree of irritation/redness. But, given this necessity, this peel is fairly mild and I haven't experienced much longer-term irritation or sensitivity, which is fairly miraculous for me. I am even able to use Rx acne treatments on the same night without incident (another miracle).

How I use it:

I wash my face and then use toner. I don't use a Clarisonic to wash my face on the nights that I use this peel

It would be too much for my skin. Then I put the peel on dry skin. I wait 3 - 5 minutes and then put the milk on it. This peel has been mild enough that I even use the Atralin (tretinoin 0.05%) right before bed and haven't noticed any irritation.

I am glad that this product is working so well for so many of you!

notcreative

I am assuming this is your review for the product page.  I wish I would have thought to put it on this thread, so I can keep resubmitting it until they actually post it.

fatimamummy

I wrote my review last night and saved it on the note pad as well but surprisingly it is already posted on the product page within a few hours of submission besides I gave it 4 stars due to price tag.

HarlemJPN

I agree with your stars, fatimamummy. It's a good product, but the price gives me pause. I would also give 4 stars (out of 5).

Heatoyos1

That was a good idea, right? I'll probably save mine in a Word document. 

HarlemJPN

Yup. I've had enough heartache on the product pages. When it's up-and-ready, I will just cut-and-paste it on ovah. . . 

Heatoyos1

[ Edited ]

Yes, the packaging really needs to be improved! That is my only gripe with this product. You shouldn't have to transfer the pads to another container. Mine pretty much dried up within a week of being in the original packaging. 

HarlemJPN

It seems like such an oversight for a usually on-point company. Surely DDG will fix this. Individual packets would be nice to keep the efficacy, but I hate the environmental impact of individual wrapping. Surely there's a good middle ground.

Heatoyos1

I know that my mom uses a Philosophy product which has retinoid pads in a tub. You pour the solution on the pad right before you use it. That prevents the pads from drying out. 

I like the idea of these DDG pads more (they are convenient because you do not have to add the solution to the pads yourself), if only these didn't dry out. So hopefully DDG can come up with a good middle ground. 

MarciaBrady

So, it's been a few weeks since I've posted an update, but that doesn't mean the magic hasn't been happening. Over time I'm noticing that the glow lasts longer and it's starting to appear deeper and more radiant, like I'm younger, drink as much water as I should, and exercise a lot. Not one of those things is reality-based. I also have a cautionary tale. Last week I did it late in the day, skipped my usual PM skin stuff and fell asleep. Don't do that. The next morning my skin was really, really sticky and the residue took hours to wear/wash off. So, now I'm wondering - it says don't rinse (at least I think it does), but how long after the treatment are people waiting before they wash their face? BTW - the stickiness doesn't in any way take away from how wonderful I I think the product overall is. 

fatimamummy

I use peel after my night time cleansing and let it stay there whole night skipping my regular skin care routine for that night and wash it next morning. I do not feel any stickiness so it doesn't bother me to keep it on through the whole night :smileyhappy:

MarciaBrady

(0) Hearts

Thanks, ladies! I wonder why it gummed up on me. Yesterday I didn't get any long-term stickiness at all. Well, I was pretty tired that day. I probably messed it up somehow. Yes, I realize it's only two steps, but, no joke, I was absolutely exhausted.

notcreative

Same.  I use only the product after cleansing usually in the evening but sometimes in the morning.  I do not wash it off or use anything else until my next cleansing, which is obviously morning for a night time treatment or evening for a morning treatment.  

notcreative

I wrote an extremely long review to the product's page days ago.  It has not posted, and I have not received an email as to why.  As I spent over 30 minutes writing that up, I have no intention of doing it again.  That is crazy, because I am almost positive I did not violate any review posting rules.  

MarciaBrady

(0) Hearts

Maybe they're running behind. Could also be a glitch. I think it'll turn up.

ballerinagrl

(0) Hearts

I've written many reviews for Cult Beauty that they never use, so I've quit with trying now. At least Space NK publishes what I write - good or bad :smileyhappy:

lylysa

I wrote a long review for a Sephora hair brush I purchased a while back (even made a thread to showcase images and posted that thread link) and it never made its way to being posted. 

I've never had a review post up immediately, normally I'll notice it in a day or two (it'll populate on my BT profile page under my reviews).

notcreative

I very rarely get them in a day either.  It usually takes about two.  I was out of town two days ago, so I am certain I wrote it before then.  My guess is they're not posting it for some reason.  Wish I knew why, because I thought it was very thorough.  There were a couple that were thorough that made it up too.  Oh well.  I tried.  Next time, I will type it in Word and keep posting it once a week until it goes live.  This time, I am letting it slide.  I was asked to do a review.  I did it, and they're choosing not to post it.  Nothing I can do about it, I guess.

Heatoyos1

Notcreative, I'm very surprised! Especially since Sephora/DDG wanted us to write reviews on the product page. Reviews normally post immediately, correct? Or do they have to be reviewed first? I can't remember. 

notcreative

Mine have never posted right away.  I've seen them go up about a day later, but it usually takes closer to two.  I think it is weird too.  I mentioned it was comped by Sephora in the first sentence or at least the first paragraph, so whoever declined to post it had to know I was supposed to review it.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 303 replies
  • 368 hearts
  • 35 in conversation
    • lovinglondon
    • itscarin
    • misscg
    • desertgirl501
    • lylysa
    • sace021