cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Brand Loyal
|

THE ORDINARY / DECIEM THREAD

~ Updated Dec 2nd 2018 ~

Their popularity seems to be growing and with all the their brands why not have a thread dedicated to them!

Brands under Deciem:

NIOD

Hylamide

Chemistry Brand

The Ordinary

Loopha

The Fountain

HIF

Ab Crew

Abnomaly

COMING SOON/NEWS:

Brands coming under the Deciem name:

• Halftone
    HIPPOOH
    Stencil

Re: DECIEM THREAD!!!

@fatimamummy I have.  I bought a bottle last summer-ish.

It's a nice glowy primer type thing.  

I didn't quite understand what it was for when I purchased it so I don't actually use it often, but it does make the skin look incredibly luminous. However on my tone it does sometimes give a bit of a white cast.

I think if the intention is to apply foundation or some type of base on top of it, it's great.  For someone like me who doesn't wear foundation, it looks a bit crazy on its own 😄

@Mochapj I think we are pretty much complexion twins so it will probably give me a white cast as well specially with summer approaching there is more Tan ahead. I don't use foundation often but I do use tinted moisturizer or a drop of CoverFx Custom drops in my moisturizer.

Here I was thinking when I go base makeup free in summer this photography fluid will make me glow. Alas it won't be the case 😂

@Mochapj & @fatimamummy —

There's a similar product under the Hylamide line that comes in two non-translucent shades, if you want to try one of those out. Everything I've heard/read makes it sound like a cross between a blurring primer and highlighter to the naked eye; the results are supposed to be most visible in photographs (color correction, shine reduction, textural improvement), hence the names.

I just got a little order from NIOD and The Ordinary yesterday. In my neverending search for the perfect cleansing combination, I'm giving Sanskrit Saponins a whirl. On first impression, I love it. It smells a bit like hazelnuts, and rinsed clean easily. It did leave me feeling a bit tight, but as advertised that faded quickly. I'm hoping it will be a good "dirty" cleanser to pull all the dirt off my skin after a day gardening. 

I also have Buffet and Azelaic Acid to test, but for once I'm going to wait in between introducing new products. 

Slightly late to this party, but I ordered a handful of things by The Ordinary directly from Deciem about a month ago (names not exact). One thing to check, as I haven't looked into the listing on beautylish or asos—Deciem has a 365 day return policy, so I'd make sure those sites will honor the same policy.

• 30% AHA + 2% BHA Peeling Solution: I'd read a couple reviews around the web that mentioned the stinging sensation (which I didn't find surprising), but I didn't experience it at all on my first use. The directions on the bottle say to apply with fingertips for ten minutes once weekly, but I tend to use it more like 3-4x bi-weekly and apply it with cotton (as per the website). I've experienced mild, short-term stinging on subsequent uses, but I'm attributing that to overall changes in my skin. I haven't had any flakiness or need to use a physical exfoliant since—I was using Boots Botanics Age-Defying Microdermabrasion Scrub, which is a pretty spot-on dupe for Dr. Brandt (but I don't see it on the Botanics site anymore, unless it's been redesigned/branded)—and am much happier with the results compared to my experience with Philosophy's peel/scrub.
  • Glycolic 7% Toner: I use this 2x/day on most days, sometimes with a cotton round, but often jus with my hands. I find it actually stings more than the peel, but not enough to be uncomfortable. I don't find the finish to be oily, but I also only use a few drops in the palm. Haven't had any problems with the scent and I'll occasionally precede (more likely follow) with a quick micro-needling. The 240ml size is a steal.
  • 2% HA + B5 Serum: I started using all of these products at the same time, so it's somewhat difficult to judge the effects of each. My skin can get incredibly dry and flaky in the winter and around spring allergy season—I'm sure my college professors would have understood that excuse for missing class back in the day—and I think it helps to diversify with humectants (this one uses sodium hyaluronate form) instead of just pasking on emollients and occlusives. That said, I also have HA in other skin products (some listed relatively high) and cannot compare the concentration. Also, my skin was more tame this year and I didn't torture it by trying to scrub away the dead skin, which also helped. I like the dropper packaging and the texture is slightly viscous and temporarily tacky.
  • 100% Plant-Derived Squalane Serum: I only got this for the benefit of free shipping (another product for $3 more than S&H) and I've never used squalane before, but I can only say it hasn't had any negative effects. It's an oil, so take that into consideration, but I mix maybe two drops with three of the HA, pat into my skin, and let it sit for a minute with eye cream before I moisturize (I've definitely cut back to something lighter) and it works for me.

My skin is more gooey than ever. To put it into full context, however, I've also started cleansing with organic olive oil before my normal wash (CeraVe SA) and using CosRX Advanced 96 Snail Mucin Power Essence after toning. Coming from a CeraVe, miceller water, pumice scrub, occasional mud mask, moisturizer routine, a difference would be expected. But I fully vouch for the two AHA products. Now to fill in with Vitamin C and other antioxidants (and a mineral SPF).

Clearly, you'll want to read through the lineup and customize for your skin type or the season, but the Deciem website has a useful amount of information about how the products work and how different forms of each element vary in stability and benefit. Good luck and enjoy! (PS – Apparently CVS also carries a few Hylamide products? I went in to look for the transparent Photo Foundation, but that was not one of the things in stock. Shrug. Going to try out my Neo Bronzer that came in the mail. . . . Sorry, I'm a babbler. If anyone used to be on the What Not to Wear forum ca. 2002, we should catch up.)

Colours are up on TO's site but not yet available for purchase.

I just ordered the Alpha Arbutin 2% + HA and Latic Acid 10% + HA 2%

Cant wait to test them out. I am in love with Sunday Riley's Good Genes but not the price. I came across a review that compared the 2 and The Ordinary brand won so we shall see

I tried out the dupe of the Drunk Elephant Babyfacial last night (AHA 30% BHA 2%)

I was a bit nervous to try it, but in all honesty I didn't feel any tingling at all.  I even started to wonder if I hadn't put enough on.  I also started to wonder how strong is what I regularly use, if this didn't feel like much of anything 😄

After 10 minutes I rinsed it off and my skin was very soft but I didn't notice much of a visual difference.  I loaded up on layers of hydrating oils/balm and went to bed. 

This morning I noticed my skin felt a little tight and dehydrated, but other than that it was still quite smooth. To the touch it didn't feel that different than it does with my other exfoliating efforts, but I noticed it more in how my makeup was applying; it appeared smoother going on.

Overall, I would use this again.  I still wouldn't use it more than once a week, and I will probably have to juggle some parts of my routine around to accommodate how drying it is, but it's a nice addition.

Are you supposed to wipe it off?  I havent tried out most of my products yet?

PS  Thanks for your reply to my question about cost below...

@makeupobesessed yeah, you leave it on for a max of 10 minutes and then rinse it off with (they recommend) lukewarm water.

Just posting this video from Stephanie Nicole on The Ordinary in case anyone is interested! After watching this video there are a couple of things I am interested in trying out 🙂

Saw this too and made me buy a lot of products

Thanks! I love Stephanie Nicole. I also went to Beautypedia's site to read some of their reviews after she mentioned that they had reviews up.

I really don't agree with their docking stars off for some of the products having only one "beneficial ingredient". Stephanie Nicole counters this perfectly: I see this line as a no-frills line where you get a chance to mix and match the serums that you want to target the problems you have. When most of these are less than $10, I'd gladly buy 2-3 to make a cocktail that suits my needs.

So, I've been curious about this brand seeing some BTers whose opinions I value (especially on skincare)  and I went a little crazy the other day with an order.  I ordered Monday and received it today. 

I purchased:

AHA 30% + BhA 2% peeling solution

salicylic acid 2%

hyaluronic acid 2% + B5

advanced retinoids 2%

caffiene solution 5%

Lactic acid 10% + HA 2%

my order total was like $47 (wow, right!)

so, my main question is why are these products so affordable/ cheap?  Are they any less effective than the pricey retinol or AHA/ BHA products say for instance sold at Paula's choice or any other even more expensive store?

@makeupobesessed I think it's a few things;

1) economies of scale between all the different skincare brands they run should allow them to obtain larger quantities of ingredients and offer them at lower prices

2) their formulas are (for lack of a better term) simple. They seem to be single active formulas, for the most part rather than multiple active ingredients per product.  Plus they don't have some of the bells and whistles ingredients for stuff like pleasing texture/scent/etc.

I am a longtime Deciem user of the Hylamide and NIOD lines and now of The Ordinary. 

To that I am going to counter the person that said to not order directly from Deciem. I have ordered directly from Deciem for years and have had no issues. If you have a problem they will correct it. If your bottle leaked product, you should have asked for a replacement. 

I just purchased the 30% AHA/BHA solution and have not used it yet. However, I have been using other direct acids on offer: Azelaic Acid and Lactic Acid 10%. Both of those products have been effective. I see adding the new Salicylic Acid 2% in rotation in future.

I also use Alpha Arbutin,  Matrixyl 10%, Vitamin C, Niacinamide, Hyluronic Acid...Essentially a mix of products for mature skin. And in a couple years time I can say my skin has made marked improvement with clarity, skin texture, oil and pore management. 

For a song and dance, Deciem is offering top notch skin care products. I would say, with their disruptive price points, do not hesitate to give the brand a try. 😉

I also ordered from Deciem...ordered Monday and came home today with the box at my door, and everything in tact.  Can't beat that, especially for price!

I'm going to assume you were speaking of me. I had originally emailed hoping they'd tell me the best solution since I wasn't sure what was most cost effective on their end; after all this is only a $6 product. Did they want me to send it back for an exchange? Just refund me? Shipping it back would have cost ~ $4 because this is a fragile glass bottle. Instead they replied that QA said it was safe to use. My next email was more firm that I wanted to return the product; I didn't care if I have to pay for shipping. Their response was that "they'd waive the return as a one time offer and just refund me." The wording puts a bad taste in my mouth. It's not my fault the cap wasn't screwed on correctly and the bottle leaked. 

That's great that you've only had great customer experience, but that in no way makes my experience null. If you google Deciem CS, there are tons of people who had less than pleasant experiences dealing with Deciem CS, so I'm not alone. I'm also not stating not to support the brand either since I did like the products and recommended other places you can buy The Ordinary. I'm just saying that given the choice between Beautylish, which has amazing customer service, and Deciem, whom I did not have a pleasant experience with, I would recommend the former. 

Have you found that the Alpha Arbutin has helped with brown spots?  I just started using it and am hoping it helps as I cannot tolerate hydroquinone.

i just started using the 30% solution and it is nice but did sting the entire time I had it on.  I'm going to keep using it because it made my skin super smooth.

I've been using the alpha arbutin since January and I've seen a noticeable lightening of my dark spots from old acne. It's not immediate but they're definitely fading faster than when I wasn't using it. I use it in the morning after acid toning and before moisturizer and SPF.

Thank you!  That gives me hope it'll work for me, too.

testing