Blush Prices per Ounce can be Surprising

[ Edited ]

Hi BeautyFriends,

I have been craving the Dior Rosy Glow Healthy Awakening Blush for ages.  I really want to order it now with the great Fresh promo code.  But $44 is so much money for a blush!

I did something interesting.  I figured out that the Dior comes to $169 per oz.  By contrast, Nars blushes are $30 but have less product.  They come out to $187.50 per oz.  I had fun and computed a few brands to see how they compared.  Here they are in descending order of price:

• Bobbi Brown Blush:  $26 for 0.13 oz = $200 per oz
  • Nars Blush:   $30 for 0.16 oz  = $187.50 per oz
  • Dior Rosy Glow Healthy Awakening Blush:  $44 for 0.26 oz = $169 per oz
  • Tarte Blush:  $26 for 0.2 oz = $130 per oz
  • Benefit Dandelion: $28 for 0.25 oz = $112 per oz.

This was fun to do.  Since I already own 2 Nars blushes I guess the Dior is not quite out of my price range. ;-)

PS: This is my whole current blush collection:

Benefit Dandelion

Bobbi Brown Pale Pink

Nars Gaiety

Nars Sex Fantasy

Physician's Formula Mineral Glow Pearls Blush in Rose Pearl

Of course, I don't really need the Dior...  but- but- it's so perfect!

Re: Blush Prices per Ounce can be Surprising

Oh wow! I have the Tarte blush and it's lasted me forever and recently  have been wanting to buy a high name product like Dior or YSL (something along those lines) .. and looking at this thread I won't feel as guilty splurging on one! thanks for the breakdown, lucy! 

Rosy Glow is worth the price. I have had mine for at least three years and I have so much product left. It's my go-to blush and I use it almost everyday. (Ok some people may be cringing thinking, "it's old throw it away!" Let me tell you, it works just as well as it did the first day! It is one of my top three blushes.

Ok this is getting fun! :smileyvery-happy:

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Blush: $233

MUFE HD Blush = $288 

YSL Blush Volupte = $151 (cheaper than Dior Rosy Glow)

Clinique Cheek Pop = $175 (I'd rather get the YSL blush)

Benefit Dallas = $87 

KVD Everlasting Blush = $100

Does anyone know why Benefit's box blushes all have different amounts? I found that really strange

MUFE is one of those brands that I want to have a lot of.. it's a dangerous game, this makeup obsession.. I recently bought 4 makeup artist shadows :3 I got the deal one 3 for a lower price, which was great. :smileyhappy: 

I can't believe the MUFE is so expensive!

Estee Lauder Pure Color Blush is next on my list for fall. It's only $32 for 0.24 ounce which comes out to be $133 for one ounce. If I buy it from CCO, I think the price is $21 for the blush, which means it's only $87.50 for one ounce!!!

Whoa. I decided to try it out with the Tom Ford Blushes. They are amazing!

$55 for 0.28 oz = $196.43 per oz. They are cheaper than Bobbi Brown blushes.

Here is a breakdown of Chanel.

$43 for 0.21 oz = $204.76. One of the most expensive ones... except for Laduree!

And just for fun: the Les Merveilleuses de Laduree Face Color blush (shaped like rose petals!)

$170 for 0.21 oz = $809.52!!! OUCH.... but I still want it. It is on my "Makeup Bucket List" (ie- Stuff I must buy before I die!)

Thank you Missie you just enabled me to buy the Tom Ford blushes :smileyvery-happy: I have never heard about the Les Merveilleuses I have to google it.

One of my fave blogs, Brightest Bulb in the Box did a big comparison of blushes at Sephora, ranking them in order of price per oz.  Some of them are really surprising, like BareMinerals is by far the most expensive!  Dior is in the middle of the pack--it's cheaper than Clinique Cheek Pop.    

I started paying attention to price per oz years ago when I noticed certain brands lasted much longer than others.  It's true that high end stuff does sometimes come out cheaper than certain drug store brands.  Better pigmentation means you use less too.  

(0) Hearts

I will have to look up that article.  The blog sounds interesting, too.  Thanks!

At the same time, when was the last time I finished a blush.... hmm.... only when I drop them! So I figure price per ounce isn't so bad if you will nevver use them up anyhow :smileyhappy:

I'm getting the Dior blush for the promo, too. Let's revel in it!

YAY! I'm so glad you're getting it!

Finalllyyyy, you're going to love it

Yes!  I just submitted my order (woohoo!)  and my first thought was what a  fun package that will be to receive.  All those Fresh goodies, that beautiful, longed-for blush, samples...  I'm really looking forward to ripping that particular box open. 

My promo will include the Fresh Sugar Rose bonus for rouge members as well.  That should look very soft and pretty with the rosy glow blush.  I am finding myself really loving soft, cool, rosy pinks these days.

(0) Hearts

So I put in my order yesterday and I've just realized i'm embarrassingly close to rouge. Like, $17 short. Yeah, pretty sure I'll be hitting that before July.

EDIT: Totally posted this in response to the wrong thread at first. Silly me.

(0) Hearts

No worries!  :-)

But you have made me curious: is there any advantage to qualifying or re-qualifying for rouge by July?  Just curious!

Nope, I've just never hit rouge before! It's a milestone that the me of 5 years ago would be aghast at, lol!

Lol, that's a fun way to justify it! :smileyhappy: Also since your collection isn't too large I agree that it would be a great addition.

Cost per weight, is definitely something many people overlook. One thing I've definitely noticed is that drugstore is really not always cost effective, often companies will cut down on the amount of product you get to help keep costs down, but really the cost per oz or g is not much less than higher end makeup. So I figure I might as well spend a bit more for the high end makeup that will last that much longer! (of course that's not always the case, but sometimes it is)

Very true!  Price alone doesn't tell you everything.  It's important to know how much product you are getting for the money, as well as how much you will need to use each time. 

For example, an eyeshadow or blush without much pigment is always going to be comparatively expensive, because you will need to use so much every time you apply it to make it show up.

I like that reviewers of the Dior say you only need a small amount.  It should last me forever!

***happy sigh***  I love being enabled.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats