meagboho

Beginner brush set/a la carte - but decent quality?

Hey guys! I love coming here because everyone is so knowledgable and talented.  When I got a bunch of stuff to jump into make up I got this brush set: s1504919-main-hero.jpg

Sephora, $22.  The bristles were sorta tough on some (liner, it kinda scratched my sensitive eyelids? Is that normal?) and it wasn't the best quality.  I considered keeping them but figured I'd return and invest the $22 in something better. 

I also got s1578129-main-hero.jpg

$65 but had a 20% coupon.  I have been using them and they are great, but it doesn't have the edged liner brush I'm more used to or an angled shadow brush.  I am probably going to get this g_90358.jpgto complete the teddy bear brush collection because I'm INSANE but I was wondering if you guys could recommend some brushes you like that are good quality.  I would do synthetic or natural.  

I bopped around some old threads and most people were asking for cheap beginner brushes. While I'm not looking to hit Rouge getting brushes, I would invest in a good set I'm not going to have to replace. 

Sorry if this was too long! 

LeeLee2436

Re: Beginner brush set/a la carte - but decent quality?

Mac brushes....hands down!  They aren't that expensive and are worth every cent....

sravanthi

my choice is sigma or RT brushes

marydiva

Tarte makes the best foundation brush ever! (: Their airbrush foundation kabuki is to die for.

newandaddicted

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Is Jaclyn Hill's set no longer selling at sigma...I searched for it on Sigma's site.  Nothing was there not even something saying it was sold out. :-(

ETA:  Nevermind it was only available until the end of April.  oh well will probably get makeup geek instead.

meagboho

(0) Hearts

Can anyone recommend more midrange brushes? Like $20-$45? More along the lines of MUFE, Sephora Pro, Lancome? 

Brie514

(0) Hearts

Have you tried the Urban Decay brushes? They're all $25-$45 and are really soft! 

meagboho

(0) Hearts

I have the one that comes with the Naked palettes, but haven't tried any others.  Thanks!  Which brushes do you recommend?

hydee77

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I really like the Good Karma Optical Blurring brush.  I use it to apply my BB cream. :smileyhappy:  I prefer it over my Tarte airbrush brush because for some reason my "face" seems to stay put longer when I use the UD one.

http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?keyword=optical%20blurring%20brush&skuId=1435056&pr...

mpas

(0) Hearts

I really like my real techniques face brushes. They're really great.  They are regularly buy one get one half off at ulta. 

realitygreene

(0) Hearts

I've had great experiences with Real Techniques, especially the Setting Brush and Expert Face Brush. I would recommend Elf Studio brushes - specifically the Small Stipple Brush, Tapered Brush, Concealer Brush and Kabuki Brush.

Sonia Kashuk is hands down my favorite for affordable brushes though. The Pointed Blender, Precision Liner and Large Crease brush are all amazing. They are the ones with the white handles.

My favorite brush of all time is a blending brush from a holiday kit from Sonia Kashuk. It was limited edition and is not available anymore. :smileysad: But I'm mentioning it because maybe someday it will be in another kit.

inmm

I haven't been impressed with Real Techniques at all. I don't find that the brushes pick up enough of the product. I've also heard people saying good things about EcoTools, but I find those brushes absolutely useless.

The best brushes for your money are, hands down, elf Studio (the black ones; the white ones are bad). They sell for $3 each, and there is a set that's $30 for 11 brushes. They regularly have 50% off sales on their website where the brushes are only $1.50. There's a minimum purchase and shipping though. A couple times they've even had specials where, if you buy a certain amount of other products, you can get the full brush set for only $3!! I've also seen the brushes at Target.

The brush set contains some of my favorite brushes like the Complexion Brush, but some of my other favorites you have to buy individually. I adore the Small Tapered Brush in particular.

I know this sounds like an ad, but trust me, I have no connections with the company other than loving their brushes.

Some people use artist paint brushes and get good results from those. There's a video on Youtube of artist paint brushes that are supposedly dupes for MAC brushes. The only one I've gotten is the dupe for the 239, and I find that it pretty much works just as well.

heartsmyface

Yeah, don't go for Eco tools! The teddy bear hair are better than those so you'd be taking a step down. 

notcreative

I use Lancome brushes.  They range from $20-$48.50 each, and they are good brushes.  Just avoid brush 13 as it is junk.  I am not super fond of 23 either.

Titian06

Hi, meagboho!  I'd like to recommend MUFE (at Sephora) and Sonja Kushak (at Target) brushes as well as Sephora's brushes.

meagboho

(0) Hearts

Thanks Titan! Any specific brushes you recommend to be on my must list? 

m3rma1d

[ Edited ]

If you're still looking for a good angled liner, my fave is Sephora Collection Pro Angled Liner Brush #22.

It's nice & thin, soft but just stiff enough to get the job done, has an awesome case that snaps on the top to keep it protected when traveling. And it's only $16!

Sephora 22.jpg

http://www.sephora.com/pro-angled-liner-brush-22-P313034?skuId=1419621

heartsmyface

(0) Hearts

That one's a real goodie! All the sephora pro brushes come with handy bristle covers that protect them If you ever wanna toss em into a bag.

heartsmyface

You have a fairly decent base for your collection now. Maybe start fine tuning according to your needs? 

Two brushes I can't live without (I'm a precision pro brush junkie)

Because I have hooded eyes and it makes applying shadow super evenly in my creases a breeze I would recommend the sephora pro angled shadow brush #13.  $25 (yipes! More than your first set but only slightly more expensive than the individual brushes in your TBH set.  This one I also use of I want to contour my nose once in a blue moon. image.jpg

I also recommend the pro precision blush brush #73.  $40 ( especially if you're interested in contouring!) it's tapered on both sides. this is my HG blush brush!!!! It gives you so much accuracy with bronzer, blush and highlight powders!!! 

image.jpg

meagboho

Thank you!!! That first brush looks exactly like what I wanted!

mpolansky

[ Edited ]

I'd agree with the Real Techniques recommendation (I've only seen them at Ulta, not sure if they're available anywhere else). I can't get enough of the expert face brush (orange handle). It's really versatile, I've used it for liquid foundation as well as blending out my contour, and for general bronzing of the face.

I also just got the Sigma Jaclyn Hill set (~$85 with 10% off coupon), which is significantly cheaper than most of their sets. I can't tell you how happy I am with the eye brushes I've tried from them. Super soft, you won't get that scratchy feeling like you did with the Sephora ones. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 25 replies
  • 22 hearts
  • 18 in conversation
    • hydee77
    • marydiva
    • mpas
    • ivyxox
    • Titian06
    • inmm