sbowden

Anyone else check for damage to products before purchasing?

Today I was in-store selecting a Naked 1 palette, and I opened it up to make sure it wasn't damaged.  Immediately a SA swooped in to tell me which palette I had in my hands.  I told her I knew and was just checking for damage, but she didn't leave until I had put it back in the plastic and headed for the checkout!

Do you check products for damage before you buy them? Or am I crazy OCD for doing so? And are we not supposed to?

kiml50

Re: Anyone else check for damage to products before purchasing?

All the time and not just with makeup, I check clothing, food, electronics, pretty much anything I buy lol and I ALWAYS take the one in the back, unless it's the last one because people usually touch the ones in the front and put them back and whatnot. I don't know where everyone's hands have been lol

ilovebears

I think it's good that the SA noticed that you were checking the item.  You weren't trying to steal or swatch from it, but who knows if someone else might.

Whenever I want to check the inside of a product, I always try to find an SA and ask if it would be okay for me to open the box/packaging. :smileyhappy:  I also only do this when I'm 100% sure I will be purchasing the product.

bambina2011

(0) Hearts

Yes, I do. I wanted to purchase the LM limited e/s palette and the SA told me it was out of stock. Then after 5 minutes I go back to the display and find 3 palettes. Of course I wanted to check them because they were probably returned and indeed when I opened they look swatched. A lovely SA looked at me at told me not to open them...I told her what happened and why I was checking them and she had the audacity to tell me it was me the one who swatched them....trust me I was livid and I will for sure not returning to that store!!!!!

lucyshnoosy

(0) Hearts

I now try to make sure that the product in the box is the right one, and not a different color/shade than it is supposed to be.  I do try to look at the product too, before purchasing, to make sure no one has used it.  I did get a puzzled look recently, though...

mariannasole

(0) Hearts

I do that all the time, I got commented on once but I still dont listen to the workers there. Im not purchasing a product unless Ive checked them all.

sephoramusthave

At Sephora, I never check. But that's only because I've never come home with anything broken, used or missing.

glossyguru

Same here

friedrice

(0) Hearts

I always check. Last time I bought the Give me more lip set at the store, then went home with it. The next morning when I opened it..OMG!  one of the lipstick is missing! (the bare mineral one) ugh! How did that happen? So I had to call and come back and drive there again to get an exchange. After that, I make sure I check it before I checkout. 

hydee77

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I will only do this when I am 100% sure I am going to purchase the product.  I only seem to do it if the box is missing that clear plastic sticker or any plastic outside packaging.

joeanne

I've never bothered to check on things that are securely packaged and I would hesitate to open them until I was at the checkout. I don't think I'd worry about a sales associate thinking I'm stealing it (I can steal it if it's closed or open) but I have seen people open new products to use because they don't want to use a "tester" because other people have used it! So in that respect, yeah, I can see why cast members keep an eye out for customers opening new products.

But I can also see why someone would want to make sure their purchase IS new and unused, so probably the best thing is to open at the checkout.

I had ordered a Bobbi Brown blush online and when it came I opened it and I was really surprised to see a big ol' fingerprint in the middle of it! So I stopped by Sephora today and exchanged it, and it was actually the cast member who suggested opening the one I picked up to make sure it was OK.

It certainly is disappointing to get home with your goodies only to discover you have to return something!

Adaezeissei

(0) Hearts

It is what it is: The last time I looked in the mirror, I was still a black woman so yes, I always ensure that I have an associate with me when I want to check a package/product for damage. Unfortunately, the black lady in the aisle is always seen as suspect. I would rather inconvenience someone and make them stand by at my behest while I do what I need to (complete with the nervous "Er,it doesn't really matter,miss..." chatter from them followed by "Um ,yes it does..." from me) than be followed around a store by someone giving me "that look" just because I appear to be taking too much time in one spot. The products at Sephora are high end and have the price tags to match. In spite of the potential for embarrassment, I rather think it behooves one to take the effort to ensure that you won't go home with a broken $65 blush palette.

syritt

I get that they need to check to make sure you aren't stealing, and also to check that you're not damaging the product. Both of these things are good, and I don't mind them doing it.

At the same time, outer packaging can be deceiving. There can be the wrong product, damaged product, things missing from the box already, etc. I've had all of those things happen to me before, and it makes returns harder - so check before you buy... But maybe check at the register if they aren't crazy busy - or tell an associate what you're doing, so they don't have any concerns.

sulfate

I consistently get products that were used or not properly sealed, so I now try to remember to check at the store because I live an hour away and it's very inconvenient to go back (yesterday I actually received a moldy product!).

The other day I was buying some Arrmani during the sale, and while checking the containers they swooped in and treated me like I was stealing it or something too.  I don't blame them because I know they are doing what they are told to do, but it's just annoying to be looked at that way when the only reason I'm doing it is no fault of my own.  But, they are just doing their job.

veronika23

(0) Hearts

My mom does but I forget to do it.  I really should start paying attention and check.

NotCrocker

I had the same thought yesterday as I was pondering buying Diffused Light. There was only one left and it was put away askew, so it looked like it had been picked up and put down a number of times. I was worried it had been opened already but was wary of checking and didn't feel like tracking down an SA to help. So I gently plopped that lovely powder back in its drawer... and got to wondering if all the folks before me had the same hesitation. 

sbowden

I had the same qualm when buying the Ambient palette, there was only one left and I didn't know if something was wrong with it... Until a SA came out with a bunch more to put in the section.  And another girl who had just grabbed one switched hers out with one of the new ones :smileyhappy: I guess we're not crazy!

lylysa

I totally check, more than often I do it when I'm waiting in line or when I'm right at checkout so employees can see I actually intend to purchase product and aren't just hanging around opening and closing things at random. Sometimes I've found used/swatched items on shelves when checking things in the aisles and I always alert an employee.

vanillammm

[ Edited ]

I absolutely do! I have come home with a broken/open product too many times not to. During VIBtopia I had to open three of the sephora pantone radiant cut palette before finding one that wasn't broken.

Sales associates have always been appreciative when I have handed them damaged products. 

Sorry you were made to feel like you were doing something inappropriate.

You shouldn't feel that way at all. Who knows whether something was dropped and shattered while in store? No one, that is why we check.

sbowden

Exactly! I've heard horror stories of items being used- yuck! Better to be safe than sorry, especially when purchasing an item that is so delicate or expensive.

nebel

I always check, at least to make sure it is the right color.  I've (rarely but it happens) found wrong colors in boxes before!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 40 replies
  • 47 hearts
  • 36 in conversation
    • mberteig
    • sephoramusthave
    • killahbabe
    • reflectsgold
    • hydee77
    • theramenlover