roseps135

Airplane skincare advise

[ Edited ]

I'll be taking an overnight flight and wanted to get some tips on skincare to prevent my skin from drying out and breaking out.  My beauty advisor at Sephora recommended the Ole Henrikson making removing cloths followed by the Murad Clarifying wipes to remove makeup, sunscreen, and clean my skin.  I purchased these two items.  Then I was thinking about what to follow it with.  I was thinking of the Nude Overnight Mask or the Amore Pacific Moisture Bound Sleeping Mask.  Any opinions on the Nude mask vs the Amore Pacific Mask?  I've used the Nude mask (not on the plane), but never tried the Amore Pacific.  Also, do I need to use any other treatments or moisturizers before the mask?

Thanks!

http://www.sephora.com/nurture-me-tm-cleansing-cloths-makeup-removing-P385344?skuId=1597178

http://www.sephora.com/clarifying-wipes-for-blemish-prone-skin-P376081?skuId=1468271

http://www.sephora.com/moisture-bound-sleeping-recovery-mask-P296442?skuId=1583053

http://www.sephora.com/advanced-renewal-overnight-repair-mask-P385678

makeupmaven

Re: Airplane skincare advise

There's lots of good ayurvedic travel tips out there...I personally really liked using Kate Somerville's Dilo Oil on my flight to Taiwan (and then Thailand). Sheet masks are definitely a great idea. Taking ibuprofen can also help w/ the swelling. Have seen some good info about Pyconegol, will probably take that during my next flight. Triphala for digestion. Avoiding airplane food if possible. Drink lots of water (we made the mistake of drinking too many of the free drinks on the way there...arrived dehydrated and it was hard to sleep).

Travel pillow is a must...I may even bring a yoga mat next time and put that on the seat (in case it has itchy/ uncomfortable material). Walking on the plane (every hour), in-flight yoga. If you can get a massage when you arrive that would be great to help circulation.

My other random tip is that with swelling, I find regular undergarments dig into my skin. Was much happier with a triangle bikini (tied loosely) underneath a maxi dress...much more comfortable!

lylysa

Not to mention a triangle bikini top won't cause a metal detector to go off like underwire in a bra :smileytongue:

makeupmaven

And it was perfect from Bangkok to Phuket---I was ready to go in the water upon arrival!

mpas

(0) Hearts

I take several overnight flights a year and I use the Amorepacific sleep mask and its great.  I still use a serum before it.  In the morning, I spritz my face with the amorepacific moisture bound mist too.

roseps135

(0) Hearts

Everyone is saying to drink lots of water.  I drink 100-120 ounces of water on a regular day.  I am chronically dehydrated due to cancer treatment and get a lot of headaches.  Sometimes I feel I need to drink so much water that my stomach feels sick from being full of water!  Does anyone have any other tips on how to stay hydrated on the flight?  I end up drinking constantly (no alcohol, no caffeine).  Coconut water helps me, so I can buy some (seriously overpriced) bottles of coconut water in the terminal.  This will be a long flight which I have not done since before my diagnosis so I am really not sure what to expect.  Thanks!

TrysBeautyItems

One other tip, remember to stand up and walk the aisle every so often to get that blood moving and to loosen the body up.

fruits, veggies that are mostly water could be brought onboard. You can bring coconut water with you, just transfer into 3oz bottles - size restriction could vary depending on where your leaving from and going to.

roseps135

(0) Hearts

Yes, I have to walk every hour or I get terrible leg pain.  I'll need to sleep on this flight so I am not so sure how the leg thing is going to work out :-/  

Good idea with the fruit!!  I am going to do that.  I drink a lot of coconut water, so I'll just have to buy the biggest bottle they have at the airport.  Maybe two...

Thanks everyone for your tips!

tessie84

[ Edited ]

I feel like what you're doing sounds spot on. I also bring eye drops, nasal spray, lotion, and thermal water. I minimize alcohol, drink at least a liter of water on 5-6 hr flights (obviously, you can adjust the amount to the length of the flight) and use those other products as needed. I think it helps to stay hydrated internally and externally.

ivyxox

[ Edited ]

Caudelie beauty elixir is a must-have!  So refreshing and hydrating! Sephora brand has a lot of sheet masks, it would be great for travelling. I also bring Caudalie hand cream and lip balm with me. You should get this kit, I think they are all travel-essentials.

http://www.sephora.com/caudalie-favorites-kit-P385499?icid2=caudalie_lp_bestsellers_carousel_P385499...

End0ra

(0) Hearts

Great find ivyvox!  I've never spotted that before.  That will deffo be in my next order.  I've just started using the Caudalie hand cream - isn't it great?

ivyxox

(0) Hearts

I got this kit during the last Rouge event and I really wish it was permanent. Caudalie hand cream is the best, it is non-greasy yet so moisturizing :smileyvery-happy:

TrysBeautyItems

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Every year Caudalie comes out with a travel kit, we'll at least the last couple of years I noticed :smileytongue:

All the items can be purchased individual (some come in travel sizes), but yes the kit is the right size.

End0ra

I would say don't forget something nice for your lips and eyes, and don't forget your neck, decollete and hands.  Plus, a hydrating mist would be a good thing, like the Caudalie Beauty Elixir.

My own preference for an on-board mask is the When Travelmate Essence Mask.  I like it so much that I use it at home as well.

Sephora: When : Essence Mask - Travelmate : face-mask

Here's my on-board skincare survival kit:  http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/In-flight-mini-facial-kit-any-other-suggestions/td-p...

lovelykatya

I agree with you on When masks, they are such a great product! They have been my saviors on long trips/flights! totally a must have! 

The convenience of them and no-mess serum/product that absorbs fast into the skin, leaving it smooth, moisturized and feeling fresh, is awesome on the go!

roseps135

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the tips and for linking your thread!  That is helpful!  I would like to do a sheet mask, but I don't have any (does Sephora sell sheet masks in store??) and I am not sure if I can manage it in coach. 

End0ra

(0) Hearts

Yes - they sell these When masks, and they are sheet masks.  I would think ripping open a sachet and plonking a sheet mask on your face (that you can then throw in the trash) would be easier in coach than juggling a jar of something that you have to unscrew, apply, screw the lid back on and put back into your bag.  Unless you can get foils.  Single use is the key to making it easy and so that you don't have to move around much.

roseps135

(0) Hearts

Oh hmm.  I searched online and they don't seem to carry the mask within 100 miles of me!  I transfer a little bit of product into the sephora sample containers and take those when I travel.  I'll see what I have in terms of foils, I have some eye creams and serums in foils, but there is so much product in there I can use it for a few days!  I would hate to waste it :-p

End0ra

Good point with the foils. I can get multiple uses too, but I still tend to use them up when flying, either through being a bit more generous in my application to account for the dry environment, or by reapplying at intervals.  I find my skin just sucks everything up in a plane and benefits from a top-up.

Why not order the masks online, or see if they can send a pack to your local store?  Anyway, as someone else mentioned, Sephora has their own line of sheet masks that they would surely carry in a store near you.  They're not bad, but I do find the When masks to be superior.  Maybe because they're especially made with the travel environment in mind.

TrysBeautyItems

The main thing is on a plane..drink water..stay hydrated, and good for the skin :smileyhappy: Evian water works too.

http://www.sephora.com/mineral-water-spray-duo-to-go-P230538?icid2=Evian_Must_Haves%20_P230538_image

As for using 2 wipes, back to back, make sure your skin can handle that before going on a plane. I used a wipe, that I have used before, just one wipe and became irritated red.

Instead of a mask you need to apply, look into sheet masks, they can be reusable and not messy.

Sonny4President

You are not allowed to take anything that' compressed onto the plane.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 31 replies
  • 29 hearts
  • 14 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • lovelykatya
    • mpas
    • lylysa
    • mafan
    • roseps135