jennypenny1995

11 (Not "10") Things We All Need to Know...

[ Edited ]

There are 2 people that I've come to really respect their knowledge of skin care and makeup: Lisa Eldridge and Caroline Hirons.  Lisa is exceptional at knowing how to make makeup wear and look better, while Caroline is equally brilliant at understanding the skin and what ingredients it does and does not need--and she is blunt, straight-forward, and speaks from knowledge, not theory.

To follow are Caroline's "Things I Say Over and Over Again".  I know a lot of my questions have been answered by her blog--especially her "Cheat Sheets", so I'd thought I'd share with y'all in case it helps even just 1 person.  Enjoy!

1.  You are obsessed with your pores. They do not open and close like doors. You say they are HUGE - then send me a picture and I can SEE NOTHING.  We CANNOT see your pores. The only person that can see your pores close-up is your opthamologist - or your boyfriend. Your opthamologist is looking at your eyes. Not your pores. And if your boyfriend is thisclosetoyou and notices your pores? He's gay. Or not attracted to you. Or at best, rude. Rethink the entire relationship.

2.  You overuse the Clarisonic. A lot of you. A LOT of you. You can use it - you're just not meant to use it every time you brush your frigging teeth.  Step away from the trendy facial tool and wash your bloody face properly.

3.  Nothing good ever came from scrubbing your face with a peach kernel.  There's a reason they are 99p. Step away.

4.  In general, foaming is what you want Fairy Liquid to do. Not your cleanser. And to the brands: I am unapologetic.

5.  Freckles are cute. At any age. You will do damage to your skin trying to get rid of them. Leave them alone. Embrace them.

6.  Stress is the key to most flare-ups, whether they are acne, rosacea or eczema. Practise relaxation. And not in some hippy-dippy way. Seriously. See the bigger picture. Chill.

7.  Inflammation is the root of all evil. Eat less sugar, take more fish oil supplements. A lot of fish supplements.

8.  Natural doesn't mean you won't react. Essential oils are one of the biggest triggers for skin.

9.  'Dupes' belong in makeup and nail varnish. There is no 'dupe' for a high quality, years-of-research-behind-it skincare product.

10.  Spend your money on supplements, skincare, foundation and concealer and scrimp on the rest. You will look fabulous.  

11.  If you would spend more on shoes, handbags, lipstick, jeans or fashion in general than you would on high quality skincare - you will be a sixty year old woman (and man) with a vintage wardrobe and a face like an alligator.

jennypenny1995

Re: 11 (Not "10") Things We All Need to Know...

(0) Hearts

Because I've been asked, here's a repeat of my post.  Update: I'm now Month 13 (over 1 year!) without cystic acne problems.  I'm now considering myself less "breakout-prone" and more "combo skin…period."  Yay!

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

As promised, here's my post again.  Still, only 1 or 2 cystic breakouts in 11 months.  I finally got it nailed!

AKRinNY

(0) Hearts

Completely agree with these! Although I wish she had added something specifically about sunscreen. Although maybe in my exhaustion I just missed whatever she did write about it.

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Aren't they great?!

bombshell30

(0) Hearts

Tee hee. :smileyhappy: Thanks for sharing!!! LOVE!

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Yay!  You're welcome!  Happy New Year!!!

mlinrin

(0) Hearts

I love this! Thanks for sharing jennypenny 😃

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

You're so welcome!  Happy New Year!!

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Have had multiple requests for a re-post of this, so here ya go!

jennypenny1995

Because, with discounts being offered all over this season, I needed a little reminder...

Candy357

(0) Hearts

Amazing post.

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Thanks!  Here to help many way I can!

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

By request, here's my post again.  Amazing how, after 4 months, following this advice to the letter has made me SO much more confident & happier!

MermaidBarbie

Haha, so true. # 1, 4, 10 and 11 are my favorite from the list.

AmelieLandry

What's really weird is that even though I'm 21 I still have people asking me if I'm in my mid to late teens. I say weird because at the most my skincare consists of washing my face in the shower and removing my makeup before I go to bed 0_0

MarB87

I love #'s 10 and 11, and 11 made me smile. =) I used to allow a teeny-tiny budget for skincare, and spent more on clothes, eating out, etc. Really bad! Now that I've turned 25 and am more concerned with preventative aging and the overall health of my skin, I don't put a price on it anymore. I wish I had started earlier.

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

I'm 39, and I have people tell me all the time they don't believe I'm even 30.  So, taking care of your skin in your 20s is a MUST, as well as not smoking and staying out of the sun.  Good for you!

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

About #3: I haven't used a scrub or Clarisonic device on my face in months, and my skin has lost all its redness.  I now no longer use as heavy of coveraged foundation, and I only use concealer on my dark circles.  Wise advice taken!!

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Embracing #6 more so than I've done in quite awhile.  Where attention goes, energy flows.  So true!!

mxcx

Hahah oh my god, these were hilarious! Thanks for posting them. (:

By the way, does anyone know if salmon fish oil cause breakouts or has anyone heard that anywhere? I went to a herbalist/acupuncturist and she swears that salmon causes breakouts like no other. I'm not sold on the idea, but I pretty much break out from anything (but yes, especially stress), so I wonder if anyone else has heard that before.

Also, what are some good alternative fish oils to salmon oils?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 76 replies
  • 117 hearts
  • 29 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • katie1724
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • carrierose