jennypenny1995

11 (Not "10") Things We All Need to Know...

[ Edited ]

There are 2 people that I've come to really respect their knowledge of skin care and makeup: Lisa Eldridge and Caroline Hirons.  Lisa is exceptional at knowing how to make makeup wear and look better, while Caroline is equally brilliant at understanding the skin and what ingredients it does and does not need--and she is blunt, straight-forward, and speaks from knowledge, not theory.

To follow are Caroline's "Things I Say Over and Over Again".  I know a lot of my questions have been answered by her blog--especially her "Cheat Sheets", so I'd thought I'd share with y'all in case it helps even just 1 person.  Enjoy!

1.  You are obsessed with your pores. They do not open and close like doors. You say they are HUGE - then send me a picture and I can SEE NOTHING.  We CANNOT see your pores. The only person that can see your pores close-up is your opthamologist - or your boyfriend. Your opthamologist is looking at your eyes. Not your pores. And if your boyfriend is thisclosetoyou and notices your pores? He's gay. Or not attracted to you. Or at best, rude. Rethink the entire relationship.

2.  You overuse the Clarisonic. A lot of you. A LOT of you. You can use it - you're just not meant to use it every time you brush your frigging teeth.  Step away from the trendy facial tool and wash your bloody face properly.

3.  Nothing good ever came from scrubbing your face with a peach kernel.  There's a reason they are 99p. Step away.

4.  In general, foaming is what you want Fairy Liquid to do. Not your cleanser. And to the brands: I am unapologetic.

5.  Freckles are cute. At any age. You will do damage to your skin trying to get rid of them. Leave them alone. Embrace them.

6.  Stress is the key to most flare-ups, whether they are acne, rosacea or eczema. Practise relaxation. And not in some hippy-dippy way. Seriously. See the bigger picture. Chill.

7.  Inflammation is the root of all evil. Eat less sugar, take more fish oil supplements. A lot of fish supplements.

8.  Natural doesn't mean you won't react. Essential oils are one of the biggest triggers for skin.

9.  'Dupes' belong in makeup and nail varnish. There is no 'dupe' for a high quality, years-of-research-behind-it skincare product.

10.  Spend your money on supplements, skincare, foundation and concealer and scrimp on the rest. You will look fabulous.  

11.  If you would spend more on shoes, handbags, lipstick, jeans or fashion in general than you would on high quality skincare - you will be a sixty year old woman (and man) with a vintage wardrobe and a face like an alligator.

roxystar4

Re: 11 (Not "10") Things We All Need to Know...

[ Edited ]

@mxcx  I broke out when I tried fish oil (this was over 6 years ago). I also break out from the vegetarian algae form of DHA.  My skin is totally fine when I ingest Flaxseed oil though. I put it in my smoothies and in my salads.  Good source of omega 3 fatty acids.

Also, there is an edible weed called purslane that is amazing. It has very high omega 3's as well. I took a foraging class one weekend and a botanist showed us (my husband & I) edible plants and how to identify them.  If there is anything like this in your area I highly suggest it.  There are so many healthy "weeds" in my backyard, I prob look crazy to my neighbors (picking stuff and foraging around). But it's very important to have a professional teach you how to identify plants and several other resources to use while gathering (i use books). 

I make Purslane pesto with basil, walnuts, olive oil & flax oil, purslane, lemon juice, sea salt, and nutritional yeast. I freeze a ton of it and eat it throughout the year (it is so good smeared on bread or mixed with warm pasta). Sorry this post is so long. I just got excited.

mxcx

Oh no don't be sorry, thank you so much for taking the time to tell me! I've been eating cold milled flaxseed along with my smoothies for added fiber, but I didn't know that they were also high in omega-3's, which is fantastic. 

I'll have to look into purslane as well. I know about picking just normal wild dandelion greens for salads, but haven't ever heard of purslane before. That pesto sounds absolutely amazing, and I'm so happy that it's made with ingredients I can eat (I'm sensitive to dairy products too so no cheeses sigh). 

Thank you again for sharing! ((:

jennypenny1995

I don't just take generic "fish oil".  I take Omega 3-6-9s because they have multiple things in it, along with the fish oil.  Truly, my skin, hair, and nails are better.  I also have MS, and my last MRI revealed a possible shrinkage of the lesions on my brain.  (MS is a disease of inflammation caused by our own immune system.)  So, there's just TONS of research out there to prove they help on so many levels!

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

#3 and #7--I've held solid on both of these since late Winter.  Since then, my skin has cleared and is less red, and I have only had to use concealer on my undereye area (thanks to fabulous genes that gave me these dark circles!).  I think my fish oils are making my nails grown insanely fast, too.  Happy girl here!

carrierose

(0) Hearts

I take a DHA pill as part of my prenatal regimen...it burst open when I was taking it out of the blister pack (free samples from my OB) and I decided to take it anyway, in the bedroom, with my water in the kitchen.  OMG NEVER AGAIN.  I might as well have eaten a dead fish.  EWW!!

But I think fish oils are something I will continue with even when I don't need DHA for baby.

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Ew!  Yes, I have seen countless benefits to them.  I refuse to miss a day!

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

To all: Caroline just updated her blog on the necessary and UNnecessary skin care steps.  Love the girl!

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Have had multiple requests to make this post visible again, so here ya go, peeps!

pinklissamel

(0) Hearts

Love number one !!! I swear i have the biggest pores but no one else seems to notice them. I have had facials and mocrodermabrasion and scrubs and all of the estheticians tell me that my pores are fine and to just leave them alone. Why are we so obsessed with them. I'm always looking for a way to make them smaller....... such is life I suppose, I'm stil trying to get past this on my own...  :0)

jennypenny1995

I stopped looking into a magnifying mirror.  I just truly had enough and stopped picking.  I've not had a single blemish in nearly 2 months now, so it's working!

jennjenn123

(0) Hearts

Thank you for this post.  These 11 things are all good to read, but what was most helpful to me was to learn about the existance of Lisa Eldridge and Caroline Hirons.  I looked them up, and they are such a wealth of information! 

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Yes, and Caroline Hirons has just posted new info on her blog that is really revealing on all this Clairsonic business as well as toners, moisturizers...oh my!

DTalksAll

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I just went through her blog & couldn't find the new posts? What's it under? Seems like the "cheat sheets' haven't been updated in a long time either. 

jennypenny1995

Hmmmm...looking for where I saw them.  Her tweets are full of info, too.

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Aw, so glad you found some new resources!  I love those two!

clarks18

#11 all the way.  People make fun of me for spending so much on skincare and high end makeup brands.  They can't laugh that hard though.  I constantly get asked "Are your graduating from High School this summer?".  And the anwser is no!  I've been out of high school now for 7 years.  About to turn 25.  I love getting mistaken for a 16/17 makes me feel good about taking very special care of my skin, with my high end products ha!

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Isn't that the best feeling?  My classmates say I haven't aged a bit, but I also feel its because I haven't been a sun goddess or a smoker.  Both age us more than any potion or lotion can prevent.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I partially disagree with number 11. I don't spend a lot on shoes & clothes (or try not to)... but handbags yes. My Fendi my mom gave me for graduation 12 years ago is still in perfect shape. I spend good money on my bags, take good care of them & they last. I rather save up & buy a good quality bag than spend less than a $100 on something that's only going to last a few seasons & having to keep repurchasing. & I'm not talking coach & outlet items (since a lot of them are made differently)... I don't buy a "trendy" purse, but a quality piece. The fun, trendy stuff can be found in a department store, but my staple Black, Brown, White, Canvas, Silver, & Gold are my babies. 

I find ways to save & splurge. I've had very little succes with drugstore skin products, and don't even glance at them not even cleansers and SPF. 

placaminero

Same here. Drugstore brands have wreaked havoc on my skin. I splurge on skin care and makeup because it works for me.

sephoramusthave

This made me laugh because a lot of it is true!

I do partially disagree with the last statement---you don't need to spend an arm and a leg for good quality skincare. I've tried sooooooo many skincare items, from drugstore to high end (I even went so far as to spend over $150 one ONE face cream) and I found, that for me, all natural skincare from places like Whole Foods and Sprouts, that don't cost all that much but are made with good, high quality non-cancer causing ingredients, work the best for me.

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Feeling totally in agreement with #3 and #7 today.  Just sayin'.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 76 replies
  • 117 hearts
  • 29 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • katie1724
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • carrierose