jennypenny1995

11 (Not "10") Things We All Need to Know...

[ Edited ]

There are 2 people that I've come to really respect their knowledge of skin care and makeup: Lisa Eldridge and Caroline Hirons.  Lisa is exceptional at knowing how to make makeup wear and look better, while Caroline is equally brilliant at understanding the skin and what ingredients it does and does not need--and she is blunt, straight-forward, and speaks from knowledge, not theory.

To follow are Caroline's "Things I Say Over and Over Again".  I know a lot of my questions have been answered by her blog--especially her "Cheat Sheets", so I'd thought I'd share with y'all in case it helps even just 1 person.  Enjoy!

1.  You are obsessed with your pores. They do not open and close like doors. You say they are HUGE - then send me a picture and I can SEE NOTHING.  We CANNOT see your pores. The only person that can see your pores close-up is your opthamologist - or your boyfriend. Your opthamologist is looking at your eyes. Not your pores. And if your boyfriend is thisclosetoyou and notices your pores? He's gay. Or not attracted to you. Or at best, rude. Rethink the entire relationship.

2.  You overuse the Clarisonic. A lot of you. A LOT of you. You can use it - you're just not meant to use it every time you brush your frigging teeth.  Step away from the trendy facial tool and wash your bloody face properly.

3.  Nothing good ever came from scrubbing your face with a peach kernel.  There's a reason they are 99p. Step away.

4.  In general, foaming is what you want Fairy Liquid to do. Not your cleanser. And to the brands: I am unapologetic.

5.  Freckles are cute. At any age. You will do damage to your skin trying to get rid of them. Leave them alone. Embrace them.

6.  Stress is the key to most flare-ups, whether they are acne, rosacea or eczema. Practise relaxation. And not in some hippy-dippy way. Seriously. See the bigger picture. Chill.

7.  Inflammation is the root of all evil. Eat less sugar, take more fish oil supplements. A lot of fish supplements.

8.  Natural doesn't mean you won't react. Essential oils are one of the biggest triggers for skin.

9.  'Dupes' belong in makeup and nail varnish. There is no 'dupe' for a high quality, years-of-research-behind-it skincare product.

10.  Spend your money on supplements, skincare, foundation and concealer and scrimp on the rest. You will look fabulous.  

11.  If you would spend more on shoes, handbags, lipstick, jeans or fashion in general than you would on high quality skincare - you will be a sixty year old woman (and man) with a vintage wardrobe and a face like an alligator.

jennypenny1995

Re: 11 (Not "10") Things We All Need to Know...

Bought a new bottle of fish oils today and thought of you all!  (And that Caroline would be so proud!)

bowlofmushypeas

(0) Hearts

Ha! Number 11 is my favorite!! I'll try to remember that next time I buy another pair of boots I seriously don't need

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Great thought, right?

violalea

love love #11 :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:

My Mom has been doing it for years. I spent more on clothes when I was a teenager and early 20s but now late 20s, definitely more on skincare :smileyhappy:  :smileywink:

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Same here!

mityren

(0) Hearts

#9 is my mantra! 

jennypenny1995

Unfortunately, I am just now getting this through my head.  So much wasted time, energy, and money!

placaminero

I definitely think (7) is SUPER important. Since I started taking fish oil supplements, I've really noticed a difference in not only my skin, but my hair as well. I absolutely LOVE fish oil! As long as I take them with a pretty solid meal to avoid the dreaded fishy burps, yikes! I buy them in bulk from Costco, as well as B12 supplements, which are also great for skin, hair, and nails.

makeupmaven

I swear by Perricone's Metabolic Formula...all about having the right balance of fatty acids!

crayzeeRN

Sounds crazy, but try sticking your fish oil supplements in the freezer. Not only will this help prevent that fishy taste, but it should also help to decrease the fish burps! :smileyhappy:

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Really?!  It doesn't break them down??

crayzeeRN

It actually helps preserve them. Putting them in the freezer/fridge keeps the oil from getting rancid!

placaminero

Thanks for the tip! Since I buy mine in bulk or in a two-pack, most of them end up sitting on a shelf anyways. Woo!! Decreased fishy burps!!

jennypenny1995

iYes I completely agree.  Have found so many examples in my own health from taking them.  Lots of research proves how Asian cultures have fewer problems because they eat so much fish.  Good for you And thanks for your post!

placaminero

I don't eat fish AT ALL so I'm glad I can reap the benefits without feasting on Nemo. o.o

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I don't eat fish either... don't like the taste or smell. Love to go fishing, just can't eat it. Fish oil is a blessing. I found a brand that sells one big pill that doesn't smell, no burps, no bad taste & you take it once a day instead of 3. Love it! 

placaminero

(0) Hearts

What brand is this?? I have to take two big pills and they are definitely super fishy, unless my palate is just extra sensitive..

kenny

Definitely agree with #6! My skin finally recovered from my final exams flare up :smileysad:

Also to add one:

Natural does not always equal better and chemicals do not equal bad. There are plenty of natural ingredients and products that aren't all that great for you. And chemicals are actually naturally occurring too! While a certain amount of skepticism about synthesized ingredients and such is great, I think sometimes we can go overboard.

LolaVal

[ Edited ]

I completely agree with #8.  My skin is sensitive and I often have the strongest reactions to "natural" products.  Sometimes, they are so irritating that putting on a natural product made me feel as if my skin was being ripped off my face and I had wash multiple times in order to calm it down.   I learned this lesson the hard way in my early 20s. 

jennypenny1995

Yes, and her #8 hits on a hot topic off all these "natural claims".  Just because a product comes from the soil and not from a lab doesn't mean it's meant to be smeared all over your face.  I.e. garlic, onions

kenny

I guess it is along the same lines as 8, isn't it? :smileyhappy: I guess I wanted to add about chemicals and synthetic ingredients not being all bad. I wish more people would think in a more scientific way, and do their own research about effects and purposes of different ingredients, rather than depending on the latest sensationalized "bad" ingredient.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 76 replies
  • 117 hearts
  • 29 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • katie1724
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • carrierose