jennypenny1995

11 (Not "10") Things We All Need to Know...

[ Edited ]

There are 2 people that I've come to really respect their knowledge of skin care and makeup: Lisa Eldridge and Caroline Hirons.  Lisa is exceptional at knowing how to make makeup wear and look better, while Caroline is equally brilliant at understanding the skin and what ingredients it does and does not need--and she is blunt, straight-forward, and speaks from knowledge, not theory.

To follow are Caroline's "Things I Say Over and Over Again".  I know a lot of my questions have been answered by her blog--especially her "Cheat Sheets", so I'd thought I'd share with y'all in case it helps even just 1 person.  Enjoy!

1.  You are obsessed with your pores. They do not open and close like doors. You say they are HUGE - then send me a picture and I can SEE NOTHING.  We CANNOT see your pores. The only person that can see your pores close-up is your opthamologist - or your boyfriend. Your opthamologist is looking at your eyes. Not your pores. And if your boyfriend is thisclosetoyou and notices your pores? He's gay. Or not attracted to you. Or at best, rude. Rethink the entire relationship.

2.  You overuse the Clarisonic. A lot of you. A LOT of you. You can use it - you're just not meant to use it every time you brush your frigging teeth.  Step away from the trendy facial tool and wash your bloody face properly.

3.  Nothing good ever came from scrubbing your face with a peach kernel.  There's a reason they are 99p. Step away.

4.  In general, foaming is what you want Fairy Liquid to do. Not your cleanser. And to the brands: I am unapologetic.

5.  Freckles are cute. At any age. You will do damage to your skin trying to get rid of them. Leave them alone. Embrace them.

6.  Stress is the key to most flare-ups, whether they are acne, rosacea or eczema. Practise relaxation. And not in some hippy-dippy way. Seriously. See the bigger picture. Chill.

7.  Inflammation is the root of all evil. Eat less sugar, take more fish oil supplements. A lot of fish supplements.

8.  Natural doesn't mean you won't react. Essential oils are one of the biggest triggers for skin.

9.  'Dupes' belong in makeup and nail varnish. There is no 'dupe' for a high quality, years-of-research-behind-it skincare product.

10.  Spend your money on supplements, skincare, foundation and concealer and scrimp on the rest. You will look fabulous.  

11.  If you would spend more on shoes, handbags, lipstick, jeans or fashion in general than you would on high quality skincare - you will be a sixty year old woman (and man) with a vintage wardrobe and a face like an alligator.

katie1724

Re: 11 (Not "10") Things We All Need to Know...

[ Edited ]

I totally agree with this -- I think many people make the (incorrect) assumption that natural and organic is always better. While it can be better in certain ways (for the environment, for instance), it absolutely does not mean it's any less likely to irritate your skin or cause a reaction. Organic products often contain ingredients in their highest concentration -- and things like fruit acids can be harsh and irritating to the skin, or cause allergic reactions, even more so than synthetic compounds. Just because an ingredient is synthetic does not make it bad for the skin. While there are organic / natural ingredients that are great for the skin, it shouldn't be assumed.

beautylovingirl

I have actually seen women/girls with large pores in just a face to face conversation and I wasn't using a magnifying glass. If a person's pores are large you can definitely tell a difference.

makeupmaven

[ Edited ]

6 and 7 are my faves! 11 is great too!

And yeah re: pores, no one should own a magnifying mirror unless you want to be scared and depressed...no one will ever see you that closely!

placaminero

[ Edited ]

I love my magnifying mirror! Alas, I don't obsess over my pores. My magnifying mirror is strictly for obtaining perfect eyebrows!

makeupmaven

You are much braver than I am!

jennypenny1995

westill we are so hard on ourselves!  But, when I think of it, I realize some of the clearest skin I've had is when we were on vacation and was too far away from the bathroom mirror to see as closely.  Hmmmmm...

GraceLW

Great Post! #2...I fight the urge to overuse my Clarisonic!

jennypenny1995

Step away from the scrub brush, ma'am!  : )

solveig

[ Edited ]

I have nothing but an immense amount of respect for these two women. Thank you for bringing it up.

It kind of makes me sad, when I see girls and young women who have treatable skin issues but they would rather buy another purse that will go out of style in a couple of years, or cover up in multiple layers of makeup (pointlessly hoping that no one will see anything behind their makeup), they would rather do that than go see a cosmetologist or dermatologist.

I think, there is a saying, "When you're 20, you have the face that nature gave you. When you're 40, you have the face that you made for yourself."

jennypenny1995

YES!!  Don't even get me started with these peeps in tanning beds.  Or smoking.  Sorry, but I'm a nurse, and the research proves everything!!

bittersweet86

Hehe this made me laugh but in a good why and all is great advice....you forgot water though. Drink lots of water.

jennypenny1995

Not my list or advice, just re-posting. But, thanks for the input! I don't disagree!

solveig

I would also add "sunscreen".

jennypenny1995

Not my list or advice, just re-posting.  But, thanks for the input!  I don't disagree!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 76 replies
  • 117 hearts
  • 29 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • katie1724
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • carrierose