maddierose30

foundation for oily and acne prone skin

Hello! So I am 15 and am struggling with extremely oily skin as well as constant breakouts. I want a foundation which will look and feel natural, but offer enough coverage and oil control since it is difficult to touch up during the school day. I am currently using Clinque acne solutions but don't like it becuase halfway through the day, it gets oily and begins to slide off my face. Please help with any suggestions!

kalmia

Re: foundation for oily and acne prone skin

(0) Hearts

I am super pale to the point that most brands don't make foundation light enough for me, but I also have oily skin.  So while others have suggested things like Tarte (which I love as a brand), their lightest foundation is still WAY too dark for me.

That said, I have found a few gems!  Hourglass Immaculate foundation is pretty much unbeatable for oily skin.  It's expensive, but worth it.  Two other brands I've tried with success in both the color matching and oil control areas are MUFE Mat Velvet+ and, if you can find it in stock, Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation.  I set whatever I use with Tarte's Smooth Operator loose powder.

I also use Sephora's Anti-Shine Foundation Primer on my oily areas, and it helps a lot.

maddierose30

(0) Hearts

What have any of you thought about laura mercier foundations, bobbi brown, tarte amizonian clay, or any of the makeup forever foundations? What were the best/ which worked or didnt work for you. Which are best for oily acne prone skin?

ContentlyKayKay

[ Edited ]

Hey Maddierose30! I know how you feel! I have very oily skin and asked a similar question a month or so ago. I was recommended changing my skin care routine, not necessarily my foundation. So far my skin is definitely becoming more manageable but still trying to find the right combo. Murad Oil-Control Mattifier SPF moisturizer is pretty amazing! Then try using a primer, that'll really help the lasting power of your foundation. I'm using Tarte's Amazonian Clay, but use it in very small amounts! This is a foundation you’ll want to use a stippling/buffing brush with. I recommend a cheap but GREAT brush like the Real Techniques stippling brush. And the item that’s made a HUGE difference for me is the Tarte Smooth Operator Micronized Clay Finishing Powder over everything. You just need a very light dusting and it make my face flawless and smooth. My face is far less oily by mid day and I just have to apply another small amount of the Finishing Powder towards the end of my day and I’m set. This is WAY different from just a month ago when I was having makeup melt down by lunch time. Also make sure to wash your makeup off EVERY NIGHT. It makes such a gigantic difference. I can definitely tell the difference in my skin when I'm being a bit lazy and when I'm sticking to my skin care routine. Hope this helps! Have a good day! :smileyhappy:

maddierose30

(0) Hearts

Your routine sounds great! Have you had any success with the murad acne line? Has it helped to greatley reduce your breakouts?

ContentlyKayKay

(0) Hearts

I actually haven't tried the Murad acne line yet. That's what I'll try next. I was recommended two lines. The Boscia Clear complexion kit or the Murad acne. I started with the Boscia as suggested since it's more natural line with less chemicals. I figured if that didn't work, I'd bump up to Murad. So far I'm really happy with Boscia. Since I have very reactive skin, the first couple days of switching from ProActiv to Boscia my skin freaked out a bit, but after that it was smooth sailing. I just recently added the Murad Oil-Control Mattifier in my routine and I'm really happy with it. I'm still testing out my routine, once I'm fully done I'll post about it, especially since I want to try my new skin care routine with my older foundations to see if it changes.. since I love my Laura Mercier Silk Creme foundation but I've been using my Tarte Amazonian clay foundation for all this oil control.

Kiki1517

(0) Hearts

I was going to try the Smooth Operator today when I was at Sephora, but they were all out. Definitely picking it up next time :smileyhappy:

ContentlyKayKay

(0) Hearts

Oh darn!! Yes, I definitely love that stuff. Besides the skin care regimen, I feel like that was one of the big game changers in my routine. I hope you like it!

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

Have you tried mineral foundations such as Bare Minerals?

maddierose30

(0) Hearts

I have not because im afraid that it would fall off my face. But do you like it? I have heard of a lot of people that love mineral foundations so they would be great to look in to!

Kiki1517

(0) Hearts

Try the Tarte Amazonian Clay Foundation, you will love the creamy texture! I also use Boscia's No Shine TZone Treatment underneath (can double as a primer or you can use another as well) and occasionally spritz with UD setting spray, although I usually forget this step!

SarahShameless

(0) Hearts

I'm 20 years old and I've had oily skin and breakouts since I was in fourth grade. It sucks a lot. I use a lot of different things at the moment to get my oily skin to stay shine-free all day. Firstly, i have a Clarsonic Mia Cleanser. Did WONDERS for my breakouts. I use two moisturizers. One is Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel for oily/combination skin. Clinique skincare is a little on the pricey side, but let me tell you this moisturizer is completely worth every penny. One bottle has lasted me over a year, and my sister used it at one point too. I'm still on the same bottle. You only need a little dab to cover each area of your face.
The other moisturizer i use is Murad's Oil Control Mattifier with spf 15. Added with the clinique, i have no problems with oily skin for literally twelve hours or more.
The foundation I use is MakeUp Forever Matt Velvet. Best make up for anti-shine. Buildable coverage, long-wearing, and it's really true to the name. it feels like velvet on my skin. dont need a lot to cover my whole face. it doesn't feel heavy, and it looks EXTREMELY natural. like youre not even wearing make up, but still provides AMAZING coverage. love it.

maddierose30

(0) Hearts

Thank you! I definitley need to check those out! Have you tried any other foundations with a lot of success? I am definitley planning on trying the matte velvet but have you tried any of the laura mericer, the tarte amizonian clay, or the bobbi brown foundations? These are others I was considering and wanted to know if you had an opinion on them at all! 

maddierose30

(0) Hearts

Great! Also what foundation would you recommend for acne coverage that looks natural and isnt heavy?

lreagan

[ Edited ]

If you want a super light coverage, check out Urban Decay's Naked Skin foundation. It looks very natural, however I still have to use concealer over my blemishes when I use this. I recently switched to Kat Von D's Lock-It Tattoo foundation, which is a godsend for me. It is full coverage and is a very thick formula, but it blends very well and looks natural, not caked on. I don't have to use concealer with this one. Unfortunately the KVD foundation has been having some stock issues and Sephora hasn't had most of the shades in stock for a few months.

http://www.sephora.com/naked-weightless-ultra-definition-liquid-makeup-P374830?skuId=1434919

http://www.sephora.com/lock-it-tattoo-foundation-P311138?skuId=1398858

What type of skincare regimen do you use? In my opinion, clearing up the source of the acne is more helpful than simply covering it up. I highly recommend Murad's line of products, and they have many products that help moderate and severe acne. At least try one of their cleansers to start!

http://www.sephora.com/clarifying-cleanser-P4016?skuId=654228

If you want a more comprehensive approach, they have a couple of kits with a bunch of acne fighting products in them.

http://www.sephora.com/acne-complex-30-day-kit-P375135?skuId=1440841

http://www.sephora.com/acne-complex-kit-P6620?skuId=754754

maddierose30

(0) Hearts

Right now I am using a gentle face cleanser paired with a non-harsh spot treatment recommended by my dermatologist which after 1 year hasn't gotten rid of my acne one bit. I will definitley want to try this! Have you had a lot of success with the Murad acne system?

Also, have you tried any of the laura mercier foundations, tarte amizonian clay foundation, or the bobbi brown foundation? Please give me your opinion on any of those if you have tried them! 

Thank you!

lreagan

If you've been using your current skincare routine for over a year and it hasn't helped at all, you definitely need to change what you're using. I have had huge success with Murad's line! When I started using it, I had pimples on both cheeks, my forehead, and chin. Murad's products cleared all that up in a matter of weeks. The only thing I haven't been able to get rid of using Murad is the cystic acne on my chin. I don't know if you have cystic acne, but it's when you have acne underneath the surface of your skin (i.e. not pimples you can pop that sit on the surface of your skin) that are big, red, sore lumps. I definitely think you should try Murad for your acne!

You mentioned your dermatologist recommended a spot treatment for your acne. Since that one isn't working, you could look into Kate Somerville's EradiKate. I just started using it and it's working great on any pimples that spring up on my face.

http://www.sephora.com/eradikate-acne-treatment-P232903?skuId=1167147

I've tried Laura Mercier's tinted moisturizer and wasn't fond of it. It didn't provide enough coverage and even the oil-free version made me super oily. I have not tried Tarte's foundation but I've heard great things about it and they use natural ingredients that shouldn't irritate acne-prone skin. I try to stay away from Bobbi Brown because that brand tests on animals. Tarte is 100% cruelty-free, though! :smileyhappy:

maddierose30

(0) Hearts

Great thank you! I am definitley looking to try out Murad becuase so many people are loving their acne regimine! Did you ever find that they dried your skin? I dont believe that i have cystic acne becuase most of my acne are just large breakouts that never really go away. I mean i seem to always have tons of large painful whiteheads in the exact same places, and as soon as one pimple goes away, another takes its place. Its a constant problem so I'm very excited to try Murad!

lreagan

(0) Hearts

I haven't experienced any dryness with Murad's products. I use the Time Release Acne Cleanser in the morning and the Soothing Gel Cleanser in the evening. I'm not sure if using the acne cleanser twice a day would dry my skin out or not, but I don't think it would because it's very gentle.

I think Murad will work great for you, especially since you mentioned you have large whiteheads. Those are much easier to treat and get rid of than cystic acne!

lreagan

I agree with helpful's suggestion to find some mattifying products other than foundation to help with your oil production. I have had a lot of success with Urban Decay's de-slick line. First I apply their De-Slick in a Tube in my oily areas and let it soak in for 1 minute. Then apply my primer (Smashbox Photo Finish in Light which is 60% water based and made for people with oily and acne-prone skin) and foundation (Kat Von D's Tattoo Lock-It Foundation, which provides a flawless matte coverage). After that I use Smashbox's setting powder and spritz Urban Decay's de-slick setting spray all over my face and I am oil-free for the whole day!

helpful

You may want to look at adding a primer and a setting spray to your routine to really set your makeup. Here's what I recommend:

-Givenchy Mister Mat or Korres Mattifying Pomegranate Primer
-Clinique Stay Matte Foundation
-Setting powder such as Tarte Smooth Operator or Make Up For Ever HD Powder
-Urban Decay De-Slick Setting Spray

This should keep everything in place all day. :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 22 replies
  • 10 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • jennypenny1995