teish

To moisturize or not to moisturize?

(0) Hearts
I have extremely oily skin and I've heard that oily skin types can forgo moisturizers during the day. My day regimen usually (well always) consists of cleansing, a moisturizer, sunscreen (or a 2-in-1 that combines both), primer followed by foundation. All products are oil-free. Yet, somehow I always continue to look greasy even when I use my blotting papers. Should I just skip the moisturizer all together? If you have stubborn oily skin like I do what's your advice? Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.
P.S. I am currently using murad oil- control Mattifier as my moisturizer.
chewcifer

Re: To moisturize or not to moisturize?

(0) Hearts

clinique dramatically different gel is a godsend!

casigray

(0) Hearts

ALWAYS moisturize. I am an aesthetician and deal with this question nearly everyday.  If you do not moisturize your skin will begin to over-produce oil and lead to more issues. I also have very oily skin. I use a hydrating toner and a light serum with hylauronic acid during the day and a retinol night creme at night.  These have been effective in keeping my skin from becoming dehydrated and have not caused me to become over oily during the day or to break out.

Hoofsa

re: To moisturize or not to moisturize?

[ Edited ]

Hey Teish. I have oily combination skin too, and I've found that using less product on my face leaves me WAY less oily. Also, makeup in general will make me oily faster. But the thing that helped my oiliness the most was actually a moisturizer! Try Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel. It's freaking amazing! It takes about half a pea size on my face in the morning, and at first I look dewy in the morning, but I don't get slick all day. It wont make you look completely matte, but you WON't get slick all day! It's fantastic for oily/combo skin!

It's moisturizing, but not greasy. It's lightweight, and it's pretty cheap, considering my $24 bottle has lasted me a year and is still half full! If you're not sure, you can go up to a clinique counter at macys/dillards and ask for a travel size sample. Trust me, it's awesome!

loatc

Re: re: To moisturize or not to moisturize?

(0) Hearts

I agree.  The only clinique product I absoulty love is the moisturiser!

MilicaK

(0) Hearts

blotting sheets pick up the oil ftom your skin and you dont want that.Try josie maran's line and feed your skin with healthy oils! trust me I am a natural healer!

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

Hi Teish,

Actullay to consume the amount of water recommended is 2200 ml and that equals 4.5 pts. And that's straight from the dermatologist office and that's expert advice.

antoine0000

teish wrote:
I have extremely oily skin and I've heard that oily skin types can forgo moisturizers during the day. My day regimen usually (well always) consists of cleansing, a moisturizer, sunscreen (or a 2-in-1 that combines both), primer followed by foundation. All products are oil-free. Yet, somehow I always continue to look greasy even when I use my blotting papers. Should I just skip the moisturizer all together? If you have stubborn oily skin like I do what's your advice? Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated.
P.S. I am currently using murad oil- control Mattifier as my moisturizer.

Hi ,

I think some expert advice should come in handy.  You moisturize your body and skin by drinking pure water ( at least 3 litres per day).  Then you can skip the moisturizers and your skin will do fine.   This is what I've found in my clients with your skin....

Give it a try and let me know,

ANTOINE

babybear04

ah, great question.  I grew up with a mary kay consultant of an aunt who drilled in my head "always cleanse, tone, and moisturize!"  For years and years, I've been doing that routine but always struggled with oily skin and acne.  Lately, I've been doing lots of research on my skin and after my dermatologist told me not to use moisturizer while on my routine, I decided to give it a try even though my brain was telling me "cleanse, tone, and MOISTURIZE!".  But what do you know?? Less oily skin AND clearer skin.  Eek I know the thought of no moisturizer is like nails on a chalkboard, but its worth a shot!  To replace my moisturizer for super dry days, I use Josie Maran's Argan Oil at night.  Believe it or not, it actually does the trick!  I think thick moisturizers act like a layer of saran wrap on my face and trap whatever is beneath it in, causing acne as well as oil to build on the surface.  So as of lately I'm on this no-moisturizer-kick, even though I have my aunt pointing her finger at me in the back of my head.

Everyone's skin is different, so you just have to experiment.  Give it a try and if it works, it works!  Also, give more natural options a try--like I said, argan oil has been super helpful.  I know the thought of putting oil on oily skin eeks people out, but for some people it's what they need!

Hope this helps and best of luck!

carfel

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Great advice! Yes, everyone's skin is different , and with a different degree of sensitivity. Some of are even have allergic reactions, but there are many non-greasy, or light moisturizers that adapt to different ypes of skin. You must go by trial and error, but do not give up! Take care of your skin, and make sure to give it the proper amount of moisture. The weather is tough on the skin, and the protection is always needed.

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

I see that your saying your routine of cleansing is oil free but is it oil control. If not research more of Murad's products or move on to a line that makes a skin care routine for oil control. All those pulled together should help.

cherrybombtastic

(0) Hearts

I'm also using the Murad Oil-Control Mattifier, and I only use it in place of a moisturizer because the whole purpose of it is to control your oil. The only time I do use a regular moisturizer without SPF is at night. I hope this helps and good luck!

Sephexpert

Always moisturize! Try using a powder or mattifying foundation. Makeup forever makes a duo matte powder and matte velvet foundation that works amazing on oily skin. If you are oily you could also use a serum during the day and skip your moisturizer. You will still be treating your skin and hydrating beneath the skin but wont be over doing it, you can leave a thicker moisturizer for nighttime, when your skin needs it the most.
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 7 hearts
  • 12 in conversation
    • chewcifer
    • casigray
    • cherrybombtastic
    • teish
    • antoine0000
    • babybear04