Beesca21

Splurge or Save on Cleanser?

I have oily skin. 

Should I invest in the Caudalie Instant Foaming Cleanser or buy one at the drugstore?

Also, Instant Foaming Cleanser or Gentle Cleansing Milk for oily skin? 

Thank you! 

Serbine

Re: Splurge or Save on Cleanser?

(0) Hearts

I am looking for something that will clear blackheads... I have tried several over the counter creams and lotions and have not had any success. They are clustered right below the nose and will not come up. I am afraid of scaring, any suggestions?

DTalksAll

I splurge because I have never found a drugstore cleanser that I liked. I tried Cetaphil, cerave, burts bees, neutrogena... 

After much trial and error I tend to stay away from just about every single drugstore product. I only step into one for vitamins & household items when they are on sale & CVS has coupons. 

LKuhle

(0) Hearts

I save on cleanser, but I have dry to normal skin so I don't have to deal with oily skin or constant acne flair ups, so I don't know if my opinion matters, but I thought I'd recommend my favorite cleanser.

I love Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser because it removes all my make up (including eye makeup, it's super sensitive around the eyes) and really cleans my skin. I have a friend who has sensitive skin and uses it as well and has never had a bad reaction. It's very cheap, so if you're looking for a foaming cleanser, I would give it a try to see if it works for you! If not, you're only out $5.

atr3810

(0) Hearts

It's always a struggle knowing when to splurge and when to save...also, the level of spending that is classified as "splurge" vs "save" likely varies a lot from person to person based on your own situation.

I'm at a point where it's more important to splurge on my night cream (love Philosophy!), morning serum, REN AHA Resurfacing Treatment, foundation, and concealer.  I could certainly splurge on more, but my husband would have a heart attack, haha. 

My compromise with cleanser is to stick with the Mario Badescu line.  All of their cleansers are in the $10-15 range -- a little more than some drugstore brands, but definitely less than some splurge-y brands.  I use the Glycolic Foaming Cleanser at night and the Enzyme Cleansing Gel in the morning.  Both help keep my oily, acne-prone skin in check.  They also have milky, creamy cleansers as well.   

Londonlover101

(0) Hearts

As a money saving girl and a experimentalist in skincare I will have to tell you that drugstore cleanser's are just as good if not better compared to expensive brand-name cleansers. save your money and head to one of these locations to care for oily skin.(publix , walmart , target) As I have oily skin too a few of my favorites to maintain smooth shine free skin is baby soap. I know, I know it might sound a little weird but this product will maintain the softness of skin without drying it out and will cleanse the excess oil and dirt off of your face. Now for the second answer I would say an instant foaming cleanser better then a gentle cleansing milk just because the foaming cleanser will help with oily skin while I think the cleansing milk is for sensitive or normal skin. If these don't work I hope you find a good solution, Have a nice day!

Meg82

(0) Hearts

I agree with Prospon and Mafan that if you find something that works, stick with it whether it is drugstore or high end.  I use Purpose cleanser six days a week and then once a week I use St. Ives Apricot facial scrub (which I've heard can harm your skin but which i've never had a problem with.  I frequently get compliments on how clear and even my skin looks, even before I started wearing makeup. Both purpose and st. ives are drugstore products.

I recommend trying some drugstore products that you've heard recommended and like everyone is saying, research the ingredients.  I highly recommend purpose and st ives (though, like i said, there is some talk that st. ives is bad for your skin so I wouldn't use it more than once a week - or at least that's what my derm. told me).

If drugstore doesn't work for you after some experimentation then maybe start spending some more money.  There is a great cleansers thread that if you do a search i bet you can find.  it had some RAD information about the cleansers people have tried.

polishlover10

(0) Hearts

First of all, any foaming cleanser is a waste of money. The sulfates will turn your skin into a breeding ground for bacteria. Keep the pH of your skin low so the acid can kill bacteria that causes acne. 

If you're spending on a cleanser:
Tata Harper Regenerating 
Fresh Soy

If you're saving: 

Burt's Bees Radiance with Royal Jelly

Bon courage!

michmo

(0) Hearts

I found one I like and I'm willing to pay the $20 for it.  I use First Aid Beauty Cleanser.  I consider it not too expensive, especially because it lasts me a long time.  

jenWho

(0) Hearts

I have gentle skin and I save on cleanser, but I do research on ingredients.  I would go with foaming for acne prone.  I use a milk based only because my skin is combination/dry and milky cream will take care of both scenarios.

Moisturizers I'll splurge or save depending on product.  Whatever works.

I splurge more on eye cream and sunscreen because honestly, those are preventive.

trucie

(0) Hearts

Clinique Liquid Facial Soap for Oily skin works great on combination/oily skin. I also use Clinique Clarifying Lotion 3 and Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel. I do 3 steps before I go to bed, I wake up and with NO oil at all on my face (I used to have oily face when I woke up).  It's the best so far, my skin looks so much clearer, I'm more confident with my bare face.

http://www.sephora.com/liquid-facial-soap-P139000?skuId=899070

http://www.sephora.com/clarifying-lotion-3-P122881?skuId=1295716

http://www.sephora.com/dramatically-different-moisturizing-gel-P122900?skuId=789727

starletta8

(0) Hearts

I adore most of Caudalie's products, so that's where I'd lean by default.

I've tried any number of cleansers and haven't found any drugstore products that I like as of yet.

jennypenny1995

No to all foaming cleansers and YES to a milk formula.  As for price, don't forget it doesn't stay on the skin long and is washed down the drain.  So, spend more on what stays on long enough to work and make an impact.

missjr

(0) Hearts

When it comes to this canvas I call my face, I splurge.  When I was a teenager, I used Neutragena face soap, which did the job for the person I was at that time.  When I got old.er--and got a job--I used Prescriptives facial gel, and then ultimately switched to Clinique.

Now that I'm of a certain age, I alternate between Caudalie's products for the winter months and SkinCeuticals for the summer.  Both of these are high-end lines and I don't mind splurging on them.  The proof is in pudding--my skin is flawless.  And I can attest that the Caudalie Instant Foaming Cleanser is right on the money.

theramenlover

(0) Hearts

I tend to splurge on anything that I put directly onto my skin but parting of the "splurging" is also looking at the ingredients' list to make sure that the cleanser is made of things that'll suit your needs!

As for whether to use the foaming cleanser or cleansing milk, I've used both and I personally found the foaming cleanser a bit too drying. It left me feeling tight and I've got combination/oily skin! The other issue is whether you're relying on your cleanser to take off all your makeup (if you wear a lot of makeup daily that is). The cleansing milk won't remove much makeup at all, in fact I use it as a morning cleanser because it's seriously gentle.

prosopon

[ Edited ]

I think when dealing the face, the canvas on which you be applying (or not applying) makeup products, it should not matter what you are using as long as it works.  You might find that a drugstore cleanser is the best thing or maybe you have to spend more money.  I think results are more important than the price tag.

Now, with that said, it is much easier to get samples of the higher end products to try out and sometimes the drugstore is trial and error.  If you are trying out samples, make sure that you use it just as you would if you have the real product otherwise your experience may not be valid.

mafan

Well put.  Spending a lot of money on something that doesn't suit you doesn't make sense, but you can also spend a lot of trial and error at the drugstore.  (And check with your store; I know some also have good return policies if something really causes you a problem.)  It is important to use things that have good ingredients and are not going to do damage to your skin.  (For example, a high alcohol content can be very trying.  Lots of mineral oil can block pores.  Depending on your skin type, pay attention regardless of the item's price.)

But yes, if it works for you, stay with it.  And if it doesn't work, don't keep using it just because everyone else raves over it or it has great reviews.  Having something suit you and care for your skin is much more important than what it costs.

PoisonLipgloss

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I have oily acne prone, I usually just buy Neutorgena Oil-Free Acne Wash Pink Grapefruit Pink Grapefruit. I've bought sampler kits with cleanser like the Ole Henriksen Instantly Ageless Kit for 48$ and the Murad. Occasionally i'll use 100 point perk on a cleanser, and usually the Pink Grapefruit works just as well if not better. I like the cleansing wipes as well, I keep them by the bed.

dianabt

Honestly I say splurge because it's part of a skincare treatment to remove and cleanse the skin- if you're not using the right kind or a poorly/cheaply made one it really does make a difference in how your other skincare items will work as well as how your makeup will look and feel too!

Any milk or cream cleansers will be heavy for your skintype so I suggest sticking with foam or gel cleansers to help balance any oily areas.

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
mafan

(0) Hearts

I agree.  Splurge on skincare and save on makeup if you need to make a choice.  That doesn't mean you have to go as far as splurging on Caudelie or that there aren't reasonable brands in the drugstore.  But I find that what I use to cleanse with really makes a difference in how my skin feels and looks and how makeup looks on top of it.

I'm not a fan of foaming cleansers myself because they can be really drying, but your skin type may differ. 

I do know that I'm almost 50 and I get compliments on how good my skin looks.  And I almost never wear foundation -- nothing more than a BB cream or tinted sunscreen.

jinxski

(0) Hearts

Sometimes I'll splurge, but I honestly never see much of a difference with facial cleansers!

I like foaming cleansers, and my skin is combo/oily, I feel like they clog my pores less, but it could just be me, haha

Anyway, I agree with kalex, save it and splurge elsewhere! :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 8 hearts
  • 21 in conversation
    • kalex
    • DTalksAll
    • prosopon
    • polishlover10
    • theramenlover