lolo246

Skincare routine for 39 year old with oily skin

I know there have been several posts about oily skin and controlling the oil and I hate to start another conversation about it but I am in desperate need of some help.  My current regimen is not working and I am at my wits end. :smileywink:

A little about me - I am 39 years old with combination/oily skin.  If I treat it too aggressively for the oil, it dries out so I tend to use products geared towards combination skin.  My skin is not sensitive (Thank God) and  I have large pores on my nose along with some pesky blackheads.

Here is my regimen:

Origins United State Toner

Kate Sommerville Quench Oil Free Serum

ROC Eye Serum (once I run out I am going to switch to something better)

Murad Skin Perfecting Lotion

Smashbox Primer Light / Laura Mercier Oil Free Primer (I have samples of those and I am currently trying them out)

MAC Studio Fix Foundation (I have a hard time finding a color for my sallow skin and they have one that matches perfectly)

Clinique Oil-Free Loose Powder

Origins Checks & Balances Cleanser/Origins Never a Dull Moment Cleanser (mostly using the first one) - daily

Origins Clear Improvement Charcoal Mask - one a week

Ole Henricksen Walnut Scrub - once a week

Origins Modern Friction Scrub - once a week (substitute for Ole)

I am completely open to any suggestions/additions/recommendations.  I recently added the Ole scrub and primers in the hopes that they would help but I am not seeing much of a difference. 

I guess I am somewhat greatful for the oily skin because I do not have huge crows feets or lots of wirnkles like my friends my age.  I have a few but they are somewhat minor although I am always on the lookout for something anti-aging. :smileyhappy:

Thanks!!

lolo246

Re: Skincare routine for 39 year old with oily skin

Thanks so much for everyone's advice!!

wing - I went to one of the local Sephora stores this weekend and got samples of some other foundations.  Today, I am wearing one by Becca and although the color is not that great, I am not nearly as oily as I normally am during the day.  The MAC foundation might be the culprit afterall.

tasha - I was also thinking about slowing swtiching from Origins to something else.  I have only sampled one or two producst by Philosophy and that was several years ago so I might want to try them again.  I totally agree with the Ole Truth serum!!

tashalicious

i'm 38 with the same skin type, i find that Origins product don't do much to control the oil, my face never feels clean when i use them.

philosophy is my go to skin care line, not too greasy and you do see results in terms of anti aging but that could be because i've been using this product for years. 

Ole Henriksen's Truth Serum is also great, i can't explain it but it makes my skin look great and again its not greasy at all.

wingatprsct

I am 49 and I still deal with oily/combination skin and breakouts but I can't treat it as aggressively as I did 10 years ago.  You have to be careful with EVERY product you apply to your skin.  Anyone of them can cause breakouts so you have to try to isolate which one is the culprit. 

I prefer to use all my cleansing products from one particular line as they work together better.  Clinique offers great 3 step systems as does Murad.  Korres Pomgranate line is also good and helps diminish large pores.

Even though you love your MAC foundation, it could be adding oil and causing breakouts.  It is really difficult to determine which products are helping and which ones are not.  I have to be very careful trying samples and only try one new one at a time.  You also have to factor in hormonal breakouts.  You need to wash your face every night!  I could get by when I was younger, but now my face really reacts when I don't.

Be careful with the scrubs.  Scrubs help eliminate the dead skin that causes breakouts but they can also irritate your skin and cause more oil production. Limit them to twice a week or alternate between a scrub and peel (which are less abrasive).

I have started trying anti-aging products with some success (Korres Quercetin & Oak) and it doesn't break me out.  I use the mattifying lotion as the cream is too heavy for my oily/combo skin.

Good luck!

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 7 hearts
  • 3 in conversation
    • wingatprsct
    • tashalicious
    • lolo246