lindsaykate7

Q - REVAMPING MY FOUNDATION!!! HELP PLEASE!!!

(0) Hearts

I've been reading through all of your wonderful responses to peoples questions, and thought I might throw my issues out there in hopes of receiving some guidance I so desperately need!!! I'm 30 years old and have never had the guts to change my makeup routine since I was 15, even though I've so needed too!

I have extremely oily skin, especially in my t-zone, pink undertones, very dark circles, fine lines, red scares and brown spots from the Florida sun! At the moment my makeup routine consists of basic Lancôme concealer under eyes, around nose, and all over chin, so basically throughout my super oily t-zone. Then I use basic Sephora pressed powder over it. This is not ideal. Within an hour I am caked up, oily as can be, has settled into my fine lines and feels like its dripping off my face :smileysad:

I have NEVER used a liquid foundation, mineral powder (like bare essentials) or whatever that powder that can turn to liquid stuff is. I am extremely inexperienced with makeup, obviously, and how to apply it. What goes on when, what goes first, second, etc... And do I still use a concealer? If I could get some advice from you all regarding what you've tried or what you think would work well for me it would be greatly appreciated!!!

I have researched through your recommendations on these posts and have found the following to be the most recommended.

PRIMER:

Givenchy Mister Mat Foundation Primer

Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer

FOUNDATION:

MUFE Mat Velvet Mattifying

NARS Sheer Matte

Houglass Immaculate Liquid to Powder

Lancôme Teint Idole Ultra

Tarte Amazon Clay 12hr

Estee Lauder Double Wear

Clinique Stay Matte

POWDER:

Urban Decay De-Slick Mattifying Powder

SETTING SPRAY:

Urban Decay De-Slick

What should I choose? How do I apply foundation, a brush or spounge? I'm so sorry this is so long, but I am so lost!!! Thanks for your help guys:smileyhappy:

Lindsay

jennypenny1995

Re: Q - REVAMPING MY FOUNDATION!!! HELP PLEASE!!!

(0) Hearts

Lancome Teinte Idole - Cakes.  Lasts 12+ hrs like it promotes, but it cakes and settles into lines.  Disappointing.

Tarte 12-Hour Foundation - Settles into lines, is a higher-end medium coverage, feels mask-like even when applying very little.  I might use it in the Winter months, but def not in Summer heat.

Clinique Stay Matte - Poor shade range.  Doesn't really keep shine down.  Great packaging, good price point.

Personally, I've found liquids to be a NO-NO.  They make me oil up more, slide all around, settle into lines, and cake awfully bad.  I'm absolutely sold on Lancome's Dual Finish foundation, which apply with a damp BeautyBlender and get amazing, flawless results, yet with a "real skin" appearance.  I only use concealer under my eyes on really dark circle days, and I apply it first, let it dry, then apply my Dual Finish.  I use absolutely no powder anymore!  Great time and money saver!

dannyc

(0) Hearts

I've never had an issue with the Lancome caking. As long as I moisturize & prime (Hourglass Mineral Veil), it goes on perfectly with a stippling brush or the beauty blender. Even in the winter when I'm uber dry from retinol I've had no issues. 

latinadiva

[ Edited ]

Lindsay, I'll start by saying I have super oily skin and more makeup than a person could use in 12 lifetimes.

I have tried..I feel like darn near everything that there is out there. I will preface my lengthy post with I sadly cannot tell you I have found any miracle combo of products that works perfectly for me. I still get oily, and still have to blot. My eye makeup is HOPELESS when it comes to oilyness so we won't even touch that subject. However, I have found things that I believe work better for me than others.

Starting with the basics, for powder foundations with oily skin, I prefer something loose. Pressed powders tend to have oil in them as a binder, so I try to stay away from those. I will say try to find a powder that is extremely finely milled or you risk looking cakey. In terms of foundation, I always look at least for something oil free. I'd be lying if I said I wanted a 100% matte finish purely because I feel like while I'm oily, I also have flakey skin (makes zero sense I know, legit feels like oil on top of dry patches) but matte tends to emphasize that. I try to find foundations that are water based.

Now, in terms of what has worked best for me:

Primer

I would be downright lying if I said I felt like any primer out there really worked well for me. To be 100% honest, I don't feel like I notice a difference. I feel like all primers feel like silicone..which just feels like a layer of grease to me. But that is just a personal opinion. I do still use one, but again I've tried tons and haven't found anything to be insanely awesome. If I had to recommend something, I'd say I don't mind the Bare Minerals Prime Time Oil Control. Feels less greasy to me.

Foundation

Depending on if you're looking for powder or liquid would probably affect my answer on this. In terms of powder foundation, I do love how Bare Minerals makes my skin look, both pressed and loose; however, it does not help me combat my oil. MAC Studio Fix powder foundation and Laura Geller Balance & Brighten are also both good for decent coverage when you're looking to do powder foundation alone, but again, I still get oily with both. In terms of liquid, I have several that I would suggest (keep in mind all of these require blotting for me still, just a lot less than other foundations I've tried):

Kat Von D Lock It Tattoo Foundation - this is probably the best in terms of longevity and giving me flawless skin. I will warn you that it is thick so you need hardly anything, and this is the one foundation I  keep cosmetic sponges around for. I find I can't wash it off my brushes as well as I would like to.

NARS Sheer Matte - this is one foundation that when I put it on I personally look at myself and think I look flawless without looking cakey. I set this with the NARS pressed powder and love how it looks.

Hourglass Immaculate Liquid to Powder Foundation - this is again really good for lasting power and flawless skin, you just have to be careful not to put too much because it will look cakey if you use excess. This one took me a loooong time to buy just because of the cost. I waited until I had a gift card.

Tarte Amazonian Clay 12HR - this really is good for lasting powder and I personally feel like it doesn't feel super thick on me, although I don't use a ton of any liquid foundation..this one just feels almost mousse-like to me. I also feel like it allows my skin to look fresh, since I feel like many oil control products dull your face out since it's stripping you of oils. I still look fresh but not oily. And side note, the brush they suggest to use with it is heaven in brush form!

MAC Matchmaster - I've had a lot of luck with this foundation. It isn't advertised as oil control or anything, but when I first got into MAC makeup, this was immediately what was suggested to me for oily skin. This is interesting for me though because I will be honest, it makes me FEEL oily, but I don't feel like I LOOK oily, which sounds crazy. I set this with MAC Blot powder.

Powder

Aside from what I mentioned above:

Too Face Primed and Poreless (loose) - this powder is the weirdest texture ever. it kind of...feels like cornstarch. i can't even explain it but if i was reaching for a loose powder, it'd probably be this one. 

Setting Sprays

I tried the UD De-Slick and did not feel like it did much for me. I heard that the UD All Nigher Spray was good for oily skin. I do continue to use this..I've gone through probably two travel size ones and am halfway through a limited edition XL size. I feel like I don't really see much of a different..kind of reminds me of primer. I've heard both ends of the argument also..some say with oily skin you need the setting spray even more, others say it's just another liquid on your face, don't use it.

I figured it could be helpful to mention a few products that I have tried that did not work, especially since some are ones you listed above:

MUFE Mat Velvet Plus - when I wore this..I felt like a pancake. point blank.

Clinique Stay Matte - to the opposite end of the spectrum, when I wore this, I felt like an oil slick.

Cover FX Matte Setting powder - I didn't feel like this did much of anything to warrant such a high price tag. it's also rather messy to deal with.

Phew, that was detailed! Hopefully this helps. As mentioned, I have yet to find the miracle combo of products that 100% keeps my oil under control, but these are at least better than others.

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 heart
  • 4 in conversation
    • dannyc
    • jennypenny1995
    • latinadiva
    • lindsaykate7