Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Oily Skin

Oily Skin

Can anyone recommend ANY product (priner, foundation, cream etc) that will help with my oily skin. I use a smash box primer, smash box liquid foundation, Sephora powder, AND the urban decay setting spray. I work an office job so I don't generally "sweat" while at work. But by lunch my face is super oily, especially in my t-zone.

So any products that eliminate oily skin (without clogging pores) would be fantastic!!

Re: Oily Skin

Hi @knw1992,

I use the Clinique Pore Refining Solutions Stay-Matte Hydrator. This helps mattify my face and refine pores. 

I then use a a mattifying primer. I love Becca's Evermatte Poreless Primer. This primer specifically targets oil-prone areas. I like to press this primer into the skin instead of spread across my face. 

I hope this helps! 

Best Wishes,

Janean

Hi knw 1992, 

I have an oily T- zone that needed regular blotting or powder until I used Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer with the Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation. This combination is the HG of all my makeup items and has made my skin flawless and shine free for 12 hours. They are both pricey but well worth the investment as a little of each goes a long ways.

Estee lauder double wear or the Loreal pro matte foundations hold up pretty well on my oily t-zone.  I also use the Murad oil control mattifier as my moisturizer.  I think that also helps keep me less oily. 

Hi, Knw1992!

Which Smashbox primer are you currently utilizing? 

While primer and mattifying cosmetics can certainly help keep shine at bay, by chance are you addressing your oily skin on a skin care front as well? If so, can you share with us what your skin care regimen and product lineup consists?

I use the Iconic Photo Finish Foundation Primer.

I generally don't use any skin care products on my face as it is pretty sensitive. I usually just wash with hot water, soap and rinse with cold.  

Not only is my skin oily but its also dry. So I need something that will take care of the dryness but also manage the oil.

@knw1992 your doing the skin a disservice by not cleansing properly. Hot water dries out the skin and loses moisture. Soap is drying as well. Moisturizer is needed to keep the skin hydrated and balanced. You're very dehydrated, the skin is producing more oil to try and rebalance.

I'm hypersensitive and use products regularly, doesn't need to be very involved. What ingredients are you sensitive to? If unsure, a doctor visit and patch testing while keeping a log would be a good place to start.

TrysBeautyItems brings up very valid points in that hot water and plain soap formulas are very dehydrating and stripping and how that in turn can lead to skin trying to overcompensate by producing an excess of oil to keep hydrated.

Skin your concern is with oily skin, start on a skin care front so that way you're working from home base to improve skin as a whole and how makeup wears on it.

A mild, sulfate free cleanser that is void of harsh detergents will be much more gentle and nourishing on skin. Try brands like Fresh, Skin Laundry, and First Aid Beauty for a host of cream, gel, or foam formulas to provide a delicate, but effective cleanse. If you first wake and skin isn't slicked in oil, skip your morning wash. If needed, wipe down with a warm, damp face cloth or a bit of facial mist to perk up the senses so you're not overstripping skin with an unnecessary cleanse (save the cleanse for night time when you're ready to wash off makeup and any accumulated oils, debris, dirt, and free radicals skin may have picked up).

Incorporate a lightweight moisturizer so your skin doesn't solely become dependent on trying to overproduce oil to keep hydration levels balanced. By using an actual moisturizer, you're allowing skin to take a load off and not work so hard, this will also allow you to better regulate hydration. For mornings, definitely have a moisturizer with SPF to shield skin from UV damage so you can be protected from signs of premature aging and skin damage.

With sensitivities, definitely try to keep track of any known ingredients or components you are reactive to and be sure to comb through ingredient lists of items you may be considering so that you're not running the risk of irritating skin. When in doubt, do patch tests along your cheek or jawline for a new item before further use and even opt into obtaining samples when you're in stores next time so you get a feel of how formulas may interact with your skin.

The beauty items you have are good products, so I would shift focus to addressing and balancing your skin first before making adjustments in the cosmetic department of things because if you're solely looking to switch foundation, primer, or powder, none of those items will work long term to actually change and make improvements to your skin. Channel some time and effort into working to put together a cohesive and supportive skin care regimen together to help hydrate, rebalance, and regulate oil so that no matter what makeup you're wearing your skin will be flawless.

Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing