New problem...

I recently purchased the Murad Acne Complex Kit, and I love it. However, I have combination oily skin. The kit is taking care of my acne, but my skin still becomes oily and shiny throughout the day. I wasn't sure if I could use anti-shine products with the Murad regimen. Suggestions?

Re: New problem...

Hi acm97,

Aside from using a great setting powder and blotting linens, I would also suggest setting your makeup with an oil-control setting spray. My personal favorite is Urban Decay's De-Slick Oil-Control Makeup Setting Spray. I spray this on my skin before putting any makeup on and then after the spray has dried (usually about 2 to 3 minutes), I apply my foundation. If I want my foundation to last a very long time, I will then spray my skin again after applying my foundation (but before blush or bronzer), and I find that my skin does not get very oily throughout the day. Smiley Happy

I would most definitely not recommend the Urban Decay setting spray. I use the Murad Acne kit as well, and have been for years now. The murad acne products dry out the skin to dry out the acne, and acne creates irritated skin. You're putting enough chemicals to your acne already with the murad products, and do not want to further irritate the skin with more alcohol on top, which the Urban Decay setting spray contains. Too much alcohol on your acne can make it worse.

I would recommend the Too Faced Primed and Poreless pressed powder to control shine. It has limited harmful chemicals and is translucent. The Body Shop tea tree blotting papers are very good too. 

Hope I helped!

I second the recommendations for blotting papers.  You could also try mattifying and oil control setting powders.

Try a blotting paper. If your products are working well, and the only problem is a little excess shine, I wouldn't add another treatment because it may off-set the results you've been seeing. Instead, blotting papers will just wipe away that little bit of extra oil/shine through out the day, without effecting your makeup or skincare. Boscia actually makes blotting papers with acne-treating ingredients in them- Clear Complexion Blotting Linens, which might be good for your acne-prone skin. Otherwise, their normal Blotting Linens are great- I use them every day in the summer to counteract daily shine.

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 8 hearts
  • 5 in conversation