rellyz

Loose powder vs Pressed Powder

Is there really a difference? Is one more preferred on a skin type? Looking for a new setting powder don't know if I want loose or pressed I have really oily skin so I'm nervous  any help??

lylysa

Re: Loose powder vs Pressed Powder

(0) Hearts

The tool that you use either will make a difference as well.

Pressed powders may often have more "binding" agents just due to it being pressed compared to loose powders; however, the convenience in carrying around a product goes to pressed as it minimizes the chances of messy touch ups.

If you carry a loose powder, I suggest using a retractable brush like Too Faced's Retractable Kabuki, you can even swirl up your daily dose of powder in the brush itself, cap it, and tote that around with you rather than keeping a jar/container of powder in your bad. The synthetic bristles don't absorb oils from skin like a natural hair brush, so this minimize the chance for bacteria and oil to harvest and breed in your tool, but of course it's still necessary to use a daily brush cleaner to sanitize and follow through on manual brush washings.

A brush will be able to disperse powder (be it pressed or loose) in a more sheer manner and allow you to blend out and cover more ground compared to a powder puff or sponge which packs on more product to the area the sponge/puff is laid.

Though the convenience lays that most compacts contain a puff or sponge, these also need to be cleaned/replaced regularly to ensure you're not laying back the oil absorbed from skin back onto your face. Depending on how often you need to touch up, you may find that using a powder might cause skin to look too chalky or dry by the end of the day since you're constantly adding more to skin to absorb shine.

You may want to use either a mattifying balm/primer or blotting sheets. If you fear that blotting sheets will "lift" your make up, opt for the balm or primer. Traditionally a basic silicone/dimethicone based primer will suffice (these have a super silky, almost slippery texture, the silica particles absorb shine and oil, giving a natural matte look to skin without it being dried out) such as Smashbox's Photo Finish (original), Benefit's Porefessional or Dr. Feel Good (this needs to be dabbed on skin with a sponge), or Peter Thomas Roth's Anti-Shine Mattifying Gel.

In regards to a good powder, if you want to go pressed, Too Faced's Absolutely Invisible Powder works well as it doesn't include a tint so there's no worries of the color oxidizing on skin or making your complexion darker as you keep layering powder inbetween oily touch ups. This can be applied with a brush or sponge/puff.

TrysBeautyItems

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I'm oily combo/acne prone and use both. My loose has a puff that you shake it onto through the little holes. For pressed I use BE mineral veil. I find they are pretty much the same. The pressed I keep with me during the day, if needed to absorb oil. Once I changed my skincare, I found my oil has lessened some..no not to the point of dry, but I can go without blotting like I used to, which was most of the day.

Another product I use to help control oil, is philosophy total matteness serum, I use where needed, then let dry and oil-free moisturizer on top.

andyhtrieu

(0) Hearts

There isn't really a difference between the two, except one is pressed and the other is loose. I prefer pressed powder because it's less messy and it's easy to carry around with you for touch ups. 

sammiebaby

(0) Hearts

Hi!

I don't really think there's much of a difference between the two.  I like pressed powders a little more since it's less messy but the loose powders are more sanitary since you aren't dipping a brush that was on your face.  But if you're the only one using it and you don't break out easily, than there shouldn't be a problem.

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 heart
  • 5 in conversation
    • lylysa
    • sammiebaby
    • TrysBeautyItems
    • rellyz
    • andyhtrieu