lovebaking123

How to reduce oil

[ Edited ]

My t-zone is crazy oil and I am so tired of it! I drink tons of water throughout the day and I use powder and primer over/under my bb cream but nothing seems to work. I have combination skin, so I am afraid of using products that will dry out my entire face. I don't really want to just cover it, though, it want to try to eliminate it as much as possible. Any recommendations for getting rid of oil? 

samjackowski

Re: How to reduce oil

(0) Hearts

Ever since I started using Boscia's beauty oil my oily face has cut down and I'm not breaking out as much! Definitely look into oils!

Still trying to decide if I want to invest in the Clarisonic or not...

nikki

I love my Clarisonic! It's completely changed my skin. My skin is oily, and the Clarisonic keeps it at bay. I have normal skin when I use it, but I get lazy and don't for a day or two, I get an oil slick. I use the Acne brush and the Acne cleanser, which has helped with blemishes and oil. So in love with it.

I also use Origins Zero Oil toner, which seems to do a good job. 

laurennnlove

(0) Hearts

me too!! I want it so bad, I'm just having a hard time justifying the cost...

lovebaking123

(0) Hearts

Thank you for all the suggestions! I tried putting the tarte oil all over my face and it worked pretty well! I also bought the UD de slick setting spray, so I am excited to try that. :smileyhappy:

DesertRose0706

i have found that i can control my oily skin well by doing the following:

• I used to wash my face twice a day with my Clarisonic.  Now I wash my face with it only once a day, at night.  In the morning, i just splash my face with water and towel dry it.  This made a huge difference in how oily my skin gets throughout the day.
  • i notice that when i apply a moisturizer to my face in the morning under my foundation, i get very oily very quickly.  some moisturizers make this much worse than others.  I started using a face oil, and amazingly it doesnt make my face oily at all, but keeps it very moisturized! 
  • Finally, I found that I have to be very particular about the type of foundation I wear, because certain ones make my skin very oily in only a couple hours.  the best one i have found is Estee Lauder Double Wear.  it controls oil amazingly well, doesnt transfer and gives amazing coverage with a nice natural matte finish.

All of these combined keeps my skin happy and oil free all day!

carolang

Oh and I switched to a less harsh cleanser too, I was using a 2% SA wash... I talked with an esthetician and she said that was way too frequent. I use a creamy cleanser now, and on some days I wake up and just splash my face with water and use a toner (I don't think I could get away with just water, the toner really helps to make my skin feel clean). Something else to think about!

laurennnlove

(0) Hearts

I had the same problem! My face wash was too harsh so I am using Neutrogena grapefruit cleanser in the morning/shower now and i really like it! Sometimes I only use toner at night simply because I'm tired and want to go to bed, but also if i wash my face too much i gets really dry.  I keep hearing great things about the korres rose sleeping facial! I want to try it! Is it really thick?  I use a prescription gel for acne at night.  If I put the korres on after that would it still work well?

laurennnlove

i have the same problem! not sure what you're using for a primer, but i recently found benefit porefessional and it has helped a lot more than previous primers i had used (smash box, bare minerals).  I also use UD oil control setting spray and it does help a little.  If I'm running late and forget to spray with UD setting spray, I notice that my face is a little oilier.  I also use bare minerals mineral veil after putting on my foundation (and before the setting spray).  Still looking for a good skincare routine.  I think that if I find some good skincare products I will really see a difference in my skin, I'm just having a hard time finding them.  I have been using cliniques moisture surge intense for a day moisturizer and so far, its the only moisturizer that has helped with my dry skin.  However, I have been trying new moisturizers because I want to reduce my oil  So I tried a few (Murad, Origins, fresh) moisturizers but they don't really help with my dry skin :smileysad: I feel so torn!!  

I'm interested in hearing what everyone else has to suggest for you!

carolang

My face was always a grease ball when I wake up (I mention this just since it would be really obvious going to bed vs waking up, but my skin is always oily), and using a heavier moisturizer at night has helped a lot (Korres Wild Rosee and Vit C sleeping facial) I find that a heavier moisturizer helps regardless of time of day, when your skin is dry it may be overcompensating with oil. The oiliest parts of my face never look dry or flaky though. A gel moisturizer just doesn't cut it for me anymore.

I like oils... I only generally use them after the shower... I don't notice much of a difference with them, though.

The Murad mattifier with SPF 15 helps control my oil, surprisingly. I wasn't going to give it a chance because it is VERY THICK. Although it applies pretty nicely I was surprised I liked it.

latinadiva

I like that you mentioned that dry skin will overcompensate with oil. I was going to mention the same thing. For years, and I mean years, I thought I had super oily skin. Nothing, nothing, nothing controlled it. I was a grease ball within hours and it was just frustrating to no end. I was in a Sephora killing time and the SA helping me was showing me how to best use the KVD Lock It Powder and asking me my skin type. I told her what I said above and she actually seemed shocked and said "I think you have dry skin" [insert record skip sound effect here] I was like "...I beg your pardon?" and she proceeded to tell me that as she was putting the foundation on my face, she could see the dry patches around my nose and cheeks. She said that her guess was that my skin had been so oily as I put it because it was working overtime to produce oil because I was trying so hard to prevent oiliness. Still in my shocked state, she suggested the Sephora Intensive Instant Moisturizer for day and for me to use my Tarte Maracuja Oil at night (which until then I had only used in moments when I got random super dry patches from weather). Since I have made those changes and started using products for dry skin, my oil has cut down TREMENDOUSLY. I still get a sliiiight shine by the end of the day, but it really is only a shine that makes me look healthy, not greasy. I was so shocked to find out that all these years I had it wrong!

shoppiturt

(0) Hearts

....you have me re-thinking my entire life! The rest of my body is like a freaking desert, but my face is always so oily. :smileysad: I had been using prescription acne washes and medications for a while when I was younger and I wonder if that just made the dryness worse (pretty much everything made my face hella tight). And I hadn't been one to moisturize like, ever >_> My mind is RACING.

stephyd216

Strange thing that worked for my was adding oil to fight oil. I started using Josie Maran's argan oil before my moisturizer, and my oil production went down dramatically!

lovebaking123

(0) Hearts

I have the tarte maracuja oil, would that work?

stephyd216

I would definitely give that oil a shot! I have a never ending fight with oil too, its not gone, but its better! Finding the right foundation for me really helped as well!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 19 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • nikki
    • stephyd216
    • latinadiva
    • DesertRose0706
    • lovebaking123
    • carolang