cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Oily Skin
Anonymous Insider

How do i avoid having a shiny oily face

Hey, 

i get really really shiny skin throughout the day and i dont know how to stop it! I use clinique's anti blemish 3 step routine with wash, toner and moisturiser twice a day and then for my make up i use clinique's tinted moisture surge. I've only just started using the tinted moisturiser, before this it was just bare minerals powder and it's still just as oily!!

it's getting so bad but i dont know what else to try!

please help! 

Anonymous Insider

Re: How do i avoid having a shiny oily face

thanks@NikkoBT - i do have 

Bobbi Brown 'Skin Clarifier - Pore & Oil Control' - and sometimes put it on at night but i wasnt sure if it was helping or making it worse so maybe i should make it more of a permanent step in my routine!

Oil blotting sheets work wonders.

Hi @Anonymous,

I definitely agree with @k617, and think that adding an oil into your skincare regimen can help with balancing your skin's oil production. 

Using an oil cleanser won't strip your skin's natural oil, which it needs to stay hydrated. I've been using the Tatcha Pure One Step Camellia Cleansing Oil in the morning, and have noticed that I'm a little less oily throughout the day. 

You can also try adding an oil into your skincare regimen at night, which can also help balance the skin's oil production. I think a good one to check out is Sunday Riley's U.F.O. Ultra-Clarifying Face Oil. This oil will help with blemish control as well! I hope this helps. 🙂

Cheers!
Nikko

That Clinique line is all the same ingredient (which are drying), which is usually too much for skin. I find for acne, one good leave on treatment works and a basic cleanser/moisturizer. You're getting excess oil since the skin is trying to rebalance itself.

Philosophy purity made simple cleanser, rebalanced my once very oily skin; also removes makeup. For an acne treatment I use prescription and i don't use a toner.

@AnonymousDid you know most products from Clinique's 3-step system are very harsh and probably doing more damage to your skin than good?

Undernourished/dehydrated skin can lead to oily skin. Two schools of thoughts regarding this:

- When your skin is over stripped of its natural oils, it produces more to compensate

- When your skin is over stripped of its natural oils, it becomes damage and is therefore unable to re-absorb any additional oil it produces, so it sits on the surface of your skin.

I'm a firm believer of #2. For me, adding a facial oil and using preventive skincare (acid peels, good hygiene, adequate moisture) to battle breakouts and not attacking my face with products when I DO have breakout (and only spot treating) has helped my oiliness immensely. Except for spot treatments, I don't have a single skincare product that tackles acne because those are usually too harsh.

2 years ago, I'd consider myself to have combo normal/oily skin on the oily side whereas I'd say I'm leaning more normal now; I rarely look greasy anymore after revamping my skincare routine.

Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing