CourtW

HOT SHINY MESS!

Okayyy! So whenever I wear my foundation it doesn't take long before I start to look oily...shiny...and get makeup transfer on everything!!!! I've used primer an powder but shine and oil finds a way through. Needless to say I haven't tried A TON of primers! But I don't want to spend 40+ for primers that  work for a day then I'm back to an oily mess. So my question is When you constantly use oil free and mattifying products and pretty much any and everything to stop the shine. Doesn't that just make your skin want to produce more oils. What are some good products to help me with this.

BlancaDavila

Re: HOT SHINY MESS!

(0) Hearts

Murad oil mattifier is the BEST. I have tried so many products and this is the only thing that works. I high recommend it. 

ErinP17

(0) Hearts

Have you ever tried a finishing powder? They're good for help keeping the face from looking oily

PinkQ

(0) Hearts

What kind of skincare products do you use? Like you said, I do believe that if you use products that are too drying or harsh, your skin will response by producing more oil to compensate for it.

If that's the case, then maybe try to switch to a lightweight, oil-free moisturizer (Caudalie Vinosource Oil-free moisturizer or Kate Somerville oil-free moisturizer) and a gentle cleanser (Fresh Soy Face cleanser)

CourtW

(0) Hearts

Right now I'm using Cetaphil face wash for normal to oily skin. When I exfoliate I use an apricot scrub. Then about 3 days ago I bought an oil free moisturizer. Foundation wise I use fit me by Maybelline. I loved it at first....then I started looking oily as all hell....so I decided to try a foundation from Cover girl it worked for a while but then I started to look oily wearing that. So I thought maybe it wasn't necessarily the foundation so I switched back to fit me. Over the weekend im going to give Stila foundation a try and the double wear from Estee lauder. I feel like my skin is so weird when it comes to picking a specific skin type in terms of oily,combo,ect....So im also worried I may not be using skin care products that cater to my skin. Thanks for your suggestion. Im deff going to give those products a try.

stacv

Avoid those apricot scrubs! The jagged crushed apricot pits cause micro--tears to your skin and are so so harsh. You can do a search and find what derms recommend for various skin types; mine flipped out when I said I used the apricot scrub And said any exfoliant should have spherical "grit" bc the jagged is way to damaging. 

reflectsgold

Becca ever-matte primer and lancome teint idole ultra or chanel perfection lumiere. 

gtichick

For me, the only thing that has worked consistently is Urban Decays De-Slick spray over my make up once its all on. They sell a small size for $14, so it may be worth trying out.

CourtW

(0) Hearts

Ive tried that and it did nothing for me. :/

lovelykatya

(0) Hearts

I would recommend using a good primer - and sometimes you do need to splurge a bit.

One of my fave primers is Hourglass Mineral Veil (52$) ! Yeahh I know the full bottle is expensive, but it is also available in a smaller tube, which is at lesser price (18$). This primer will last you a while, so one time fee in my opinion is totally worth it!!

Then make sure you have a good foundation!! May be something that is matte (Ex: Hourglass Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation Mattifying Oil Free or Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour Full Coverage Foundation SPF 15)

Carry blotting papers on you all the time, for just in case - you will get oily!!

Also remember - Sephora is really great at giving you samples, so if you are not ready to splurge on a product, and then be disappointed - just ask for a sample!!

upload_5972935880050695564.jpg

upload_3210822014865461252.jpg

upload_803094343547116962.jpg

CourtW

I've heard great things about Hour Glass!!!!! I'll give it a go. Thanks for the tips.

lilahtov

(0) Hearts

CourtW, if you have dry skin in the winter months, you may want to try No. 28 Primer Serum. It's Hourglass' oil-based primer. It still has silicones to make your makeup stay, but it has some lipid-rich plant oils and essential oils to hydrate and protect your face. I actually prefer it to the Veil primer, because I find Veil to be too thin and not effective enough to be a good buy. An unpopular opinion, but I thought I'd share!

ireneh

(0) Hearts

Ohhh I was wondering what the difference between the two were. The sales associate said that one was specifically a SERUM, not primer. I was looking for a hydrating base though, so maybe I'll get the primer serum instead of the veil primer!

ChicDabbler

Mineral Veil and no.28 are like ying and yang. MV is a primer that feels weightless and helps with oil-control throughout the day, so it's particularly great for oily/combo skin. no.28 is half skincare half silicone/primer, it's med weight with a slightly oily feel but it should sink into your skin fine if you have dry/combo (if you have oily skin or use it in humid weather, it might feel too stuffy). It contains 28 vitamins/essential oils so not only does it serve it's purpose as a primer, it also helps to hydrate and take care of your skin throughout the day. I would actually not recommend using it as a night time serum since it's basically liquid silicone and may prevent you from reaping any benefit from moisturizer or anything you use after it. I have combo skin and use MV in the summer and no.28 in the winter.

ireneh

(0) Hearts

I have combo skin with dryness in specific areas so I've been looking for something to combat the dry patches! Seems like no28 would be perfect. Ohh shucks, I was gonna use it as a night serum since I don't really use any fancy night time treatments (light moisturizer)

Would you put no28 before/after moisturizer?

ChicDabbler

Considering the fact that 4 out of 5 top ingredients listed are silicone, I would put it after moisturizer. You can think of silicone like saran wrap (the skin friendly version, lol), it prevents the moisture/good stuff on your skin from getting sucked out/evaporated and prevent the bad stuff from the environment from coming in, which is why it's pretty common in moisturizers (to protect your skin) but not as much in serums (meant to be absorbed deeper/faster and too much silicone can prevent the benefits of your moisturizer from sinking into your skin).

The general rule of thumb is to go from the most liquidy/lightweight to the thickest/richest (toner, serum, moisturizer) so for some people with very very dry skin, it might actually be beneficial to use as night time serum, altho for some with oily/combo skin it might cause clogged pores. Personally I recommend using after moisturizer. =)

TrysBeautyItems

(0) Hearts

I use Philosophy total matteness serum before moisturizer and it helps control oil. For primer I use a liquid to powder one.

http://www.sephora.com/total-matteness-tm-oil-free-mattifying-pore-eraser-P378688?skuId=1493535

Your skin care routine could also be causing more oil production, to over compensate for the skin being stripped of it's natural oils. So no it's not just makeup and treatments that causes more oil. I don't find more oily with using the serum above.

DesertRose0706

i have this same issue with certain foundations and have found that the best solution is to find a foundation that controls oil really well.  The best one I have found is Estee lauder Double Wear.  It controls oil all day, has a nice natural matte finish and doesnt transfer.  This is the only one I have found that truly lasts all day on my skin and doesnt cause my skin to get oily.

As far as primers go, the best one I have found is Hourglass' Mineral Veil Primer.  With Estee Lauder Double Wear I dont even need a primer, but if I wear a tinted moisturizer or something else, this primer really helps to keep the oil at bay.

EL DW.jpg

CourtW

Thanks so much for replying! I actually watched a review on this foundation the other day. One of my fav beauty guru's had great things to say about it.

mlmac

(0) Hearts

are you oily all over?  or just on the t-zone.  I apply becca's ever-matte poreless priming perfector to areas where I need extra help and I don't get oily at all.  I wouldn't dare put this primer on skin that's a little bit flaky though or it would be awful.  A little goes a long way, too!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 11 hearts
  • 14 in conversation
    • lovelykatya
    • reflectsgold
    • gtichick
    • ChicDabbler
    • mlmac
    • stacv