Ramieee

Flakey primer problem

(0) Hearts

I have oily skin with large pores in my t zone that always need covering up. I've tried many of those clear "gel" looking primers (porefessional, smashbox, too faced, Lancôme) but they always seem to flake up on me when applying. I have skin care products I apply underneath the primer but I refuse to skip those. does anyone else have this problem?

jennypenny1995

Re: Flakey primer problem

I agree.  Flaking of skin, not product, is revealing skin that needs to be exfoliated.  Since you're acne-prone, stay away from physical exfoliant s like scrubs and brushes.  Use a fruit enzyme instead like Murad's Pomegranate Mask.  Love that stuff with all my heart!

starletta8

(0) Hearts

Out of curiousity- are you also using a serum under your moisturizer?  Like everyone else, I think it's probably because of too much product- and not enough time between products.

Ramieee

(0) Hearts

Yes I am using a pore refining serum. I think they're anti primer bc I've changed my routine from a different serum to see if that would help and still flakes :smileysad: tomorrow morning I shall take my time making sure all is absorbed! Hah thanks much!

beautylovingirl

@Ramieee- Your welcome!

rtista

Have you tried Benefit's Porefessional primer?  It fills in pores wonderfully and doesn't make my oily skin greasy.  It might prevent you from having to change your skin care routine.  :smileyhappy:

lylysa

Ramieee listed that one up top for what she's tried. I agree that it's a wonderful primer, Rtista!

To Ramieee, try tapping or "pressing" the primer into place rather than rubbing. I find this helps especially in areas with enlarged pores!

Ramieee

All you girls are so helpful! I think you got it on the nail. thank you! I need to tap it onto the pores instead of rubbing. I watch you tubers  do their makeup routine all the time and still can't get it right. 

lolo01

I do a facial peel mask..when i notice flakey skin. Have you done a peel lately?  I also have the Korres primer and agree its awesome.. I do however use Marajuca Oil by Tarte at night under my eyes and around my lips... Try a sample see if helps :smileyhappy:

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

@Ramiee- You might be using to much primer and also it sounds like you moisturizer is not sinking in good. Make sure your moisturizer is absorbed really well before applying your primer and also moisturizer should be your last step before your primer. I love Bare Minerals prime time primer even though I don't use that foundation it gives me a  flawless finish every time. Hope this helps!

Ramieee

I actually have a sample of prime time and have used it twice with flak balling up but I may have to try it with your advice with a lighter hand! Thanks darl

Ramieee

(0) Hearts

@beautylovingirl @lylysa

bad wording! i meant the primer itself is balling up and i have pieces of it just lying on my face and fingers. I do use a heavy hand when applying I think.  I absolutely love the finish it gives but I always have to brush off the flakes and sometimes they even get into my hair. ugh. I use a pore refiner and moisturizer underneath and I think those are the problems. But doesnt everyone use skincare products underneath their makeup! It doesnt help that I do full face makeup every day for my problem skin either.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Try to play with technique and application first like I mentioned below. Let your pore refiner and moisturizer sink in for at least 2-5 minutes before you apply primer. Again, don't use pressure or force to distribute the product but rather just glide it on to skin.

If it's still an issue, swap primers to one that will address pores/oil but won't have that thicker silicone/diemthicone base.

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]

Is it flaking or like balling up as you as applying it?

lylysa

Good point, Beautylovingirl!

To Ramieee, if it's actual flaking, like skin, then that would be best resolved through proper skin care products and exfoliation, but if it's the actual primer that's coming off after you apply it, then my below post would apply!

lylysa

Flaking, pilling, or rolling off of primer can be caused to the formula not sitting well with your skin. This can occur with silicone and dimethicone based primers in particular due to the build up of silica on the surface of your skin mixing with oils, dead skin, or even whatever skin care products you used underneath.

Use just a pea sized amount of primer to begin with, lightly smooth and pat it onto skin (pat especially on areas with large pores rather than rub or use pressure to help "place" primer where it needs to be).

Be sure to also let whatever lotion or treatment you use to fully absorb into skin before starting your make up routine.

If that dosn't work, try a silicone/dimethicone free primer like Korres Pomegranate Mattifying Primer, which contains witch hazel and rice starch to control oil and minimize the appearance of pores.

ellevee09

I agree with arielaaaaaaa :smileyhappy: the korres primer is bomb. I had that flakey happen sometimes too. Try the korres. :smileyhappy:
arielaaaaaaaa

I don't think you should have to change skincare. It's about the primer, If those type of primers aren't working, you should try ones that are more of a cream like, i use Korres Quercetin & oak age reversing primer, It's a cream lotion type and i love it. I've never liked the clear gel like primers you've described.

onomotopoeia9

I had a similar thing, and It was my moisturizer. I changed it and it doesn't flake anymore. You don't have to skip those products, just try replacing it for a different product.

Ramieee

(0) Hearts

That's the hard part! Discovering what works with what.... I may have to go back to a regular lotion like primer :/

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 21 hearts
  • 10 in conversation
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • rtista
    • jennypenny1995
    • lylysa
    • beautylovingirl
    • onomotopoeia9