Kyndra

Does the Clairisonic really live up to the hype?

[ Edited ]

I've heard so many great reviews but I've also heard just as many bad reviews. I have a terrible oily t-zone and the rest of my face is fairly normal. I'm also concern on how hygienic is it. I heard you have to change the brush heads every few months but that also bothers me a little, aside from the initial price of the actual machine and brush heads.

Kyndra

Re: Does the Clairisonic really live up to the hype?

(0) Hearts

I think I'm 70% sure I want to get the Mia sometime soon, thank you all or the help and answering my questions. I was just afraid of my skin breaking out because I don't normally break out

Nicrohr

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I am horrified about the gunk/mold/bacteria discussion lol... This would be a main concern for me in purchasing (but I actually didn't think of it).

I have the Aria, and I've tried a few brush heads.  I use it once a day, ish. 

Luckily for me, I haven't had any mold, smell, gunk, or identifiable grossness.  It's been about 2+ months.  I am SUPER sensitive to mold, mildew, spores, and other allergens, so this would be devastating to me!  I feel so bad that people are having this issue.

Once a weekish, I wash my brush head was gentle "hand-soap" type soap.  Mine is just a frag-free, hypoallergenic, glycerine pump soap.  

I put in on the stand UPRIGHT to drip dry every night, and always rinse it well to remove make up and cleanser after every use.  It was actually important to me to get the Aria with the upright stand, to have a stable/clean place to let it air dry while NOT lying on it's back or letting water sit in the brush heads.  Of course, you could also take the heads off every night and dry on paper towel like someone suggested!

I do take the head off to wash under it, but so far it's been all clean there.

Here is what I would do, and have done, with similar products if sanitation is necessary:

1.  Wash it with antibacterial soap several times a week.

2.  Put it into a mug of boiling water after cleaning off gunk/debris (haven't checked that this safe for the plastic, but you could try it on your oldest crappiest brush head).

3. OR, run it through the dishwasher on top shelf in 'safe' basket area of dishwasher where it won't be blasted around the tub.

4. OR, I could put it in my lingerie bag and run it through my washing machine.

5. OR, after washing it well with soap, I would lay it in a bath of rubbing alcohol, peroxide... or if really desperate, dilute bleach or barbacide solution.  I couldn't really do these last two myself because I am too chemically sensitive.

Not sure how many of these work with my Clarisonic brush heads in particular, but I have used these methods with other items I wanted to sanitize(ish), and it's worth trying with a 'ruined' brushhead anyway.

I would also say, of course, stick to the three months OR LESS replacement schedule?  It's a little expensive but not so bad if you buy in bulk, AND it's much less than the cost of products I would be using instead!

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

Oh & if you're really going to splurge on a clarisonic, look into the Plus. It's the only one that fits the body brush head. I love too use it on my legs before I shave, my back, feet....

DTalksAll

Be sure to take the brush head off after every use to let it full dry. It prevents the gunk buildup. 

jojobe

(0) Hearts

in regards to the cleaning issue, there is a way to clean it once a week but I rinse it really well and then squirt some peroxide on it and remove the head from the device and place it on a paper towel on the counter until I need it that night. I had that problem too with it collecting gunk and once a week I dip it in a bleach solution and run it for the full cycle and rinse it well. Has worked well and I don't have a problem with that anymore. Hope this helps!

pinktorridora

(0) Hearts

Full cycle in the dishwasher?

divagirl90

(0) Hearts

I brought a Clarisonic Mia 2 about a month ago and love it. I have an oily T-Zone and I'm dry everywhere else. My skin is sensitive and acne prone. My skin feels smoother and looks great. The hardest thing was finding a cleanser that worked for my skin. I tried several cleansers that left my skin burning and irritated. I found that Philosophy's Purity Made Simple was best. I use mine twice a day and I have not broken out - that's what I was most afraid of.

I hate the price of brush heads and Philosophy's Purity but I'm obsessed about how my skin looks. I think I'm saving money in the long run because I'm not buying foundations. I still wear Nars TM occasionally but I do not have to wear anything heavier.

LuckyWinter

I am also thinking about buying one, I also feel the same about changing the brush heads. I am about 60% sure to buy one, I feel like its expensive but in the long run it will make my skin better. At the moment I have quite overall oily skin, and I have a bit of acne in overall, and hyper pigmentation. I also have redness around my nose, on my chin and on my forehead. Would it really help me? If anyone can give a bit of advice that would really help! :smileyhappy:

Nicrohr

(0) Hearts

I have similar issues and the Aria totalllllly helped mine.  I agree with others who say the immediate results are the most impressive, but it still is helping me over time, too.  I'm on like month three, I think.

Smaller pores, less redness, more even skin tone/color/texture, smoother (my BF always comments), more porcelain-y.  

Also because it's kinda nice/relaxing/fun to use, it keeps me MAKING SURE i wash my face every single night before bed.  Which helps too.  And then the products I put on afterward (Algenist retinol serum, moisturizer, DDG Alpha Beta Pad some days), seem to work better as well.

ry22

[ Edited ]

Its good on my combination skin :smileyhappy: It evens out the dry patches on my cheeks and helps with my oily T-zone. I just have to make sure to use plenty of oil-free moisturizer

neko333

(0) Hearts

I have a love/hate relationship with mine. It does makes skin smoother and help with pore size. However with regular use (even with the delicate brush) it irritates my skin making it bumpy and more oily. I also have a serious problem with the bacteria aspect of this. I thought that was what was making my skin bad so I started to bleach it (be sure to rinse it really good though you don't want any of it to get on your face). If you don't like that approach you could boil the brush heads to kill germs.  I don't know about everyone else but mine tends to mold, the inside of it is covered in it. It's almost impossible to clean. 

Basically when I started using it I broke out, then it quickly went away (like a month or so). Then my skin looked good for several months. Finally I started to constantly break out and it didn't stop until I stopped using my Clarisonic. I think It had over exfoliated my skin. I now use it a couple times a month and it seems to work much better like that. I don't think it's a bad investment but I do think you have to keep it clean, replace the brush heads, and not over use it. 

trulykelsie

I absolutely love my Clarisonic! I have been using the Mia 2 with my Ren-3 Clarifying Clay Cleanser  daily, and my skin has never felt smoother. Even my husband can't seem to stop touching my face and commenting on how soft my skin is. 

While the Clarisonic is amazing for exfoliating and smoothing out your skin, I would definitely recommend pairing it with the Ren cleanser as the clay helps further draw impurities out and soften up your skin. 

As with every product, there will be a few people who don't like it, but this product has definitely earned its cult/ HG status, in my opinion. I used to dread and loathe washing my face, but the Clarisonic has made it enjoyable, relaxing and easy to do. The timer is one of my favorite features that you just don't get with the old-fashioned method. 

jojobe

(0) Hearts

I would start with the delicate brush and make sure not to scrub- it is designed to be used with light pressure to glide it over your face. Start slowly because if your skin purges you will need something with salicylic  acid in it to help keep bacteria down. You will have to adjust your skincare routine, but I have had mine for 3 years now and my husband stole my other one and now he is using it and can tell a big difference. He says he never knew how good it felt to have such clean skin. If you are supersensitive you may want to use it once a day or every other day. If you feel like your skin is already healthy and great then I see no reason to invest in a Clarisonic, but if your skin is dull, damaged or your pores aren't getting the gunk out then I would recommend you at least try it. At least at Sephora if it does not work you can easily return it.

Kyndra

(0) Hearts

My skin is fairly healthy, I don't get too many breakouts ...maybe once a month or so but my t-zone is ridiculously oily now and I've been on the hunt for something to control it

Nicrohr

(0) Hearts

Yes I love it - I thought it was a gimmick and assumed it was all hype for years.

Then I tried it this year - wow, smoother, more even skin tone/color/texture/moisture (even less dry spots and oily spots).  Smaller pores.  Helps with blackheads (mine aren't totally gone, but WAY better so far).  Also, just cleaner skin, and fewer breakouts for me.

I have the Aria, I like how the controls work better than the others, and I NEED to have the drying stand that comes with it.  I need a clean/stable place to put this after every use.  I thought about getting the PLUS, but I didn't like how it worked as well and it's heavier -- when I want a body brush I just use one of the stiffer brushes on my Aria.  The PLUS model is the only one that has face AND BODY brushes and settings, btw.  I hear they are discontinuing the PRO model.

I don't even MIND the cost of the brush heads, because it seems worth it -- and I need fewer and less of my other products (which do, indeed, seem to work better after an Aria cleansing).  

annonymous1

(0) Hearts

Yes yes yes! i can tell the difference in my pores and just the way my skin looks and feels, its wonderful. and to my knowledge you should change the brush head AT LEAST every 3 months,but i have a friend who buys a new one every month, whatever works for you :smileyhappy:

also, after using my clarisonic whatever serum or cream i use tends to work better and instead of just sit on my face i feel like it actually goes into my skin and i'm able to get the full effect, i was skeptical because it was so expensive but now i don't know what i would do without mine lol 

ShinyMagpie

Yes! My first one lasted just over five years and I'm on my second one now. I notice a huge difference in my pores and the general look and feel of my skin. I feel like my products work better after using it. I love it. 

shaynation

I love it, i was super skeptical, i even bought the cheap oil of olay one... it has calmed my oil down, im still oily though haha... but it exfoliates, so youre smoother so your makeup looks really smooth... it really made all the difference.  

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 18 replies
  • 12 hearts
  • 13 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • jojobe
    • annonymous1
    • pinktorridora
    • ry22
    • neko333