andyhtrieu

Clinique moisturizer replacement

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I've been using the Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel for almost a year now getting bored of it. I feel like it's not giving me enough moisture. Is there anything similar or better to this? And under $35 would be great :smileyhappy:

oh and I have oily skin 

andyhtrieu

Re: Clinique moisturizer replacement

(0) Hearts

I went to a Clinique counter last week to ask about the Moisture Surge and the employee told me that it's NOT a moisturizer. It's supposed to go on top of whatever moisturizer you're using. Is that how you use it?

laurenb703

Sometimes I will use the Moisture Surge during the day under my normal SPF if I feel like my skin needs a little extra moisture (because sometimes just the SPF doesn't cut it). But I also have been using it alone at night when I want something lightweight - I can't be the only one who wakes up looking like a sweaty shiny mess in the summer mornings right? :smileytongue: lol

Not sure if that answered your question or not. But I also think you should use products the way they work best for you!

andyhtrieu

(0) Hearts

Is it bad to use a moisturizer that has minor oil controlling properties?

jemly

i don't think of it as 'bad' but i'm always skeptical, the same way i'm skeptical of "mattifying" anything. in my experience the best way to combat oil is to NOT continuously strip it of the oil being produced...pH balance can be thrown off leaving your skin confused and thirsty, hence even more oil production. (obviously i'm not advocating to not wash one's face--of COURSE wash your face!!! but once that is done let your skin find balance through the products your apply after....). in my opinion, what you need is a lightweight but effective moisturizer. i wouldn't even be worried about 'oil free'. just stay away from face moisturizers with shea butter, too heavy and can cause breakouts.

in your routine do you use a moisturizing toner ? this may help add a bit of light-weight 'oomph' too. i use caudalie beauty elixir the most, but murad makes a couple of great ones i recommend, too. they specialize in restoring pH, and will help your skin absorb any moisturizers you put on after....

blushnglow

(0) Hearts

Just thought I'd throw my two cents in here.. how about NARS AquaGel Luminous moisturizer.. It has a great slip and a nice matte finish so makeup is not a problem. I know it is pricier (58$/ 50ml or 1.7 oz) but you really only need a dab for your entire face where as the moisture surge gel ( which I also fourthly support as a great choice) I did use up much quicker.  Moisture Surge also comes in a Spray form (22$ for 4.2oz) which I think is a great option as a hydration booster to any moisturizer/routine or for a midday refresher over makeup.    

Biedazzle

(0) Hearts

I used that same moisturizer for years until I finally got bored of it a few months ago. I started using Philosophy's Take a Deep Breath and I love it! I'd definitely check it out. 

HarlemJPN

Have you ever tried anything from the Lab Series "for men"? I dont like gel moisturizers but I liked the Lab series gel moisturizer. It is less than $35, too!

now, if could just figure out what magical ingredients it contains that are gender-specific.... ;-)

andyhtrieu

I was looking that Lab Series' products earlier! Specifically the all in one face treatment. 

And it's ridiculous how there's so many products 'for men'. Sunscreen, FOR MEN, because this brown packaging with a Hawaiian flower is too feminine. THEY'RE ALL THE SAME!!!!

HarlemJPN

I have liked quite a few of the Lab series products I've tried. They're often fragrance free and less expensive than other similar products. 

And -- brace yourself -- they haven't made me change genders. It's a miracle!

dolceloure

(0) Hearts

I really like Ole Henriksen Sheer Transformation. It's oil-free and super lightweight. It's a little more expensive ($40 for 1.7 oz bottle) but they do have a mini 0.5 oz for $14 if you don't want to make a big commitment to it.

carolang

I had the same issue with the dd gel - last summer I got bored of it so tried the OH Sheer Transformation. Not worth it to me so I'd at least recommend skipping that. Sometimes during the winter though I would have to do 2 layers of the gel for my skin not to feel tight which isn't ideal. I'm back to the gel but I tend to use it only in the AM and something heavier at night (algenist, korres). I have considered the moisture surge or vino source sorbet though and I will probably try them in the future. I did like putting the caudalie SOS serum under my dd gel and that was quite nice - after I finish my next dd gel I am considering getting both the SOS serum and sorbet.

Something I will suggest since we have similar skin types - I no longer wash my face in the AM. I go straight in with Clinique toner 3. Ever since starting this my face hasn't gotten dried out from acne creams. I think I may have suggested this to you before but if you haven't tried it you'll be surprised at how well it works - I really felt I was prematurely aging myself when I kept drying out my skin like that since I am guilty of putting those creams all over for preventative reasons.

kalex

I "third" Clinique Moisture Surge.  I recommend that as much as you recommend Sheer Glow! :smileyvery-happy:

deannarp

(0) Hearts

Andy, origins makes a lotion/gel type of moisture product called make a difference plus.

redwagon44

If you go with moisture surge, I'd try and snag a sample of that in store first. I have mildly oily skin, and I tried switching from the gel to moisture surge and it was just way too heavy for me. 

gogreyhound

i second the Clinique Moisture Surge! It is similar in that it is a nice, cooling, refreshing gel-cream moisturizer, but it definitely gives more moisture. Non-oily, too! I would try that if you still like the Clinique products. :smileyhappy:

EvangelineDamon

Hey andyhtrieu!

Have you tried Clinique's Moisture Surge?

1.7 oz. costs $37, but there is also a .5 oz size for $12.

Just curious, have you tried Josie Maran's Argan Oil?

Good luck finding your perfect product. 

andyhtrieu

(0) Hearts

I haven't tried it, but I really want to! I've heard good things about it. And I haven't tried Josie Maran's products either. Oil doesn't really fascinate me.

EvangelineDamon

At first, I was really hesitant about putting oil on my face. 

I love it now, but I understand your non-interest.

Hopefully that Moisture Surge works for you.

There's an Intense version as well, but its for more dry to combination skin.

Sometimes its good to switch things up after awhile.

I love my Clinique products, but I felt as if my skin was getting immune (or something) to it, so I tried a few Origins products (and I LOVE them.)

I now go back and forth between the two brands and my skin is as good as its going to get (ha ha)

P.S. You have a great smile

Jenniem84

(0) Hearts

I've also been using the Clinique gel for a long time.  I do still use it, but I also have Mary Kay Timewise Anti-aging moisturizer (for combination to oily skin)...its just a little bit more moisturizing than the Clinique gel, and still has that gel texture feeling of not being greasy. It's definitely an everyday or night moisturizer.  It's also very affordable--I think I got the 3oz bottle for $24.  I do NOT like Mary Kay makeup products at all...when I went to one of those Mary Kay parties, it was the only thing I liked. You can order it from their website.

andyhtrieu

(0) Hearts

Thank you, I'll look into it :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 29 replies
  • 14 hearts
  • 18 in conversation
    • kalex
    • weeeeweeeeeee