MaiRay

Clinique 3-Step Skin Care vs. Murad Acne Complex (30-Day Kit)

I have a few questions about what products I should use as my current facial products are coming to an end. First, I have to tell you about my skin. I have combination/oily skin, mostly oily around my forehead, nose, and cheeks. I have visible pores on my nose (currently battling against blackheads and whiteheads). I'm currently using SkinFood: Fresh Apple Sparkling Pore collection. I love how it leaves my skin really smooth; however, my face still gets a little oily than I would like it to be. I tried other products before, which I really hate because it leaves my face really sticky afterwards and it doesn't help to control my oiliness as well as minimize my pores. I am planning to purchase the Clarisonic Mia2 Deep Pore Detoxifying Solution Collection because I heard so much good reviews about it. I am wondering about purchasing the CLINIQUE Great Skin, Great Deal - Combination Oily to Oily Skins. I also looked at Murad Acne Complex kit. I am not sure which product line is better for me. I do not have acne though. I believe I read better reviews from Clinique. I was wondering which product line is better at controlling my oiliness. I do not like my face to be shiny and oily by mid-day as well as sticky from the skincare product. Thank you.

P.S. I was thinking about combining the Clinique 3-Step kit with the MURAD
Oil-Control Mattifier SPF 15 PA++. I am not sure if this is a good combination in controlling my excess oils and prevent shine.

lillyjumper

Re: Clinique 3-Step Skin Care vs. Murad Acne Complex (30-Day Kit)

(0) Hearts

I have been using the Murad Acne products for almost 6 moths now, and my skin has never felt better! know this is a little late, but these products are amazing for my skin :smileyvery-happy:

kittichick

(0) Hearts

I used to use Clinique's cleansers and Clarifying lotion in #4 or the Acne one, since I have super oily skin. But it turns out there's alcohol in ALL their Clarifying Lotions except the "Mild" (i.e. the one with no number.) I used to think that I had really sensitive skin because their stuff made my skin red, but no, it was the alcohol. Now I use their Mild Clarifying Lotion and my skin is in MUCH better shape. 

So do NOT use any of those Step 2s unless it's the Mild!

MaiRay

(0) Hearts

Now that you use their Mild Clarifying Lotion, do you think it is effective along with your skincare routine in controlling your super oily skin as you mentioned?

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

Since your skin is perfect except for a bit of oil midday, I suggest just switching the moisturizer to something mattifying. So yes, just get the Murad mattifier and try it for a few days, that should be all you need.

Yes, you can ask for samples at any Sephora store or Origins boutique. Depending on the store policy (and now nice the lady/gent is) you may only be able to get 3 samples. If you are interested in trying everything, there is the Clinique and Murad set, and Origins website often have $ off.

MaiRay

(0) Hearts

You are really helpful. I will follow your suggestions. Thank you.

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

You are welcome. Cheers to clear skin! =)

MaiRay

(0) Hearts

Hello again,

I have received my Mia2 and the Murad mattifier. I just realized I forgot one question. Should my night skincare routine be the same as my day routine? Thanks.

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

Yes, that looks good for controlling oil and shine. Two things tho:

- I would recommend ease into it, try switching one product and use it for a few days before making another change to make sure your skin is not irritated by anything. If you did an overhaul and got red angry skin, you wouldn't know if it's one product, a bad combination or all of them.

- I have oily/combo too but toner 3 stings and dries out my face a bit so I'm using toner 2, which is perfect for me. The toners are pretty harsh, so if your skin don't like toner 3, try toner 2. Origins have a United States toner and a zero oil line that you might also be interested in.

MaiRay

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I took the quiz on Clinique 3-Step Skin Care (Find your routine) and it suggested using the Clarifying Lotion 4. After reading your suggestions, I am more indecisive about what to purchase. Is the Origins Zero Oil line effective in preventing excess oil and shine? The line is not rated as high as the Clinique product line, but I don't think it really matters if it works. What do you think I should get or should I do an overhaul? Thanks.

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

If you are not having major problems and like your current skincare, I recommend tweaking it instead of having an overhaul. I'm not familiar with the Skin Food collection but basically, when does the oiliness occur?

- if your skin doesn't feel clean, feels a bit oily after cleanser, you need to change your cleanser. If your skin feels clean, comfortable or just a little tight, you are fine. Same with toner, but your skin shouldn't feel tight.

- Is your skin a bit oily after applying serum/moisturizer, or was it perfect but gets oily hours later? For the former you need a lighter moisturizer and for the latter you need something that controls oil.

- Reviews are not definitive so don't worry about the difference between 4.4 and 4.6 stars (altho if it's 3.9 and 4.6 then yes). The oil control/acne lines from Origins and Boscia are gentler than those from Clinique and Murad, so those looking for serious oil control prob won't like boscia while those with sensitive skin or have minor issue will find Clinique/Murad to be too harsh.

Eitherway, these lines are carried by Sephora, so I recommend getting a couple samples at a time and try them out. 

MaiRay

(0) Hearts

I don't have major problems and I really like my current skincare. My skin does feel clean, comfortable, and smooth after my skin care routine. My skin feels perfect; however, it gets oily hours later (near midday). I don't think I have sensitive skin because I tried a lot of products before my current ones.

There are samples of Clinique, Murad, or Origins skin care routine I can try? I think I have to be in the store. Do I ask for samples? I haven't shopped here before.

TrysBeautyItems

(0) Hearts

Is your makeup oil-free?

Also using a powder before foundation and after and using a setting spray like Urban Decay can help to absorb oil. During the day, you may also want blotting sheets (drugstore has them) and/or a pressed powder to absorb oil. A primer that's liquid and dries more like a powder (like Pur Minerals) can help too.

Sephora will make samples from testers, just ask for a sample. Department stores will also make samples, just ask. No purchase required for either.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 heart
  • 5 in conversation
    • ChicDabbler
    • lillyjumper
    • kittichick
    • TrysBeautyItems
    • MaiRay