GottaLoveLush

Clarisonic- Is it worth the money?

Hello Sephora Community!

I have oily/acne prone skin and am wondering if the Clarisonic is worth the money. It seems like a lot for something that I usually use my hands to do.  How often do you use your Clarisonic and do you think it's worth it?  Thanks!swfupload_2845348485817917471.jpg

Lynneeee

Re: Clarisonic- Is it worth the money?

I see a dermatologist for rosacea.  She recommends only using my Clarisonic Mia once a week--even though I use the "delicate/sensitive skin" brush.  She maintains it is only necessary to exfolliate once a week if you have sensitive skin.  A week after stopping daily use of the Clarisonic and beginning the use of a gentle cleanser and moisturizer she recommended, my face is noticeably less red.

GottaLoveLush

(0) Hearts

Thank you Lynneeee! Did your dermatologist recommend that you get the Clarisonic?

MeekaEtAl

I have a clarisonic, and my skin feels great - but I am really worried about the bacteria on the brush... How does everyone sanitize their clarisonic brushes?

evaann

(0) Hearts

I wash it just like I do my make up brushes, with an antibacterial hand soap. And I make sure to always put the brush cover after Im done.

vtpj

I have the Clairsonic Aria and find it to be extreamly benificial to my skin.  I have oily sensitive skin and have used facial brushes all of my life and never has one of them made my skin break out...there is nothing in the brush that can make your skin break out.  It maybe what ever your using with it or putting on as a moistureizer or even your make up.  You need to try one product at a time to make sure just what is causing your breakouts.  Maybe you are pressing to hard on the Clairsonic and it is causing you to irritate your skin.

I use my Clairsonic 2 times a day and it has not failed me even one little bit.  Some people just do not have any luck with it and it is an expensive item but you should give it a try and if you are totally unsatisfied, Sephora will take it back..with out a problem!!

natural123

I have very sensitive oily acne prone skin and the clairsonic made my skin worse. The best thing for me is using my facial brush. I've been using it for almost 10 years and Sephora sells them for cheap. It keeps my face clean and clear. Just make sure you wash it good after using it.
GottaLoveLush

(0) Hearts

Hi natural123, thanks for the advice! Could you tell me how you wash your facial brush after using it?  Do you use bar soap or brush cleaner, etc? THANKS! :smileyhappy:

floridab

Hello:  I have "mature" skin and I wish clairsonic was around when I was younger!  I got one three years ago and my skin has never looked better. One thing I think no one does is toclean the brush head frequently with antibacterial soap.  That might help with breakouts since bacteria breeds breakouts. If you have some antibacterial hand soap, try cleaning after each use and put your clairsonic where it can dry thouroughly. 

fran11

Hi GottaLoveLush! I agree with Katie that there are people who swear by it and others that don't like it....so really its an individual kind of thing! Getting other opinions and perspectives is definitely helpful though before making a large purchase!!

I have battled with acne prone skin since my early teen years (i am now 28). my breakouts were more severe when I was younger and I developed some scarring on both of my cheeks from it and no products that I have tried have helped reduce their appearence. 

I bought the clarisonic Mia2 in the spring 2012, hoping to help with my breakouts and not really expecting anything in terms of reducing my scarring.  I used my clarisonic once a day at night and did experience a long period of "purging" as everyone refers to it. I broke out like crazy for a few months (most people say it lasts a few weeks).  I kept with it because within a few weeks of using it, i noticed that my scarring was fading. Had I not noticed the fading, I probably would have given up on it since I was breaking out so badly. 

I have now been using the clarisonic for almost a year and my breakouts are under control, the reduction of my scarring is absolutely unbelievable and my skin has not looked better since before the age of 12! (I think finding good skin care products that work for my skin also contributed too)

I think everyone's experience with the device will be different, but it is the single best purchase I made in 2012 and I totally recommend anyone with acne prone skin to give it a try. 

miabt

Hi GottaLoveLush,

I've had my Clarisonic Mia for a little over 2 years & had a serious love/hate relationship with it.  Just when I thought it was helping clear my skin, I would break out like CRAZY!!  Turns out I was over using it, irritating my skin & spreading the bacteria.  I've switched to twice a week & I've been breakout free... so to me, its totally worth it!  I also recently learned (from Sephora) that you can deep cleanse your nose & t-zone by removing the outter rim:

xo, Mia

katie1724

[ Edited ]

I think it's one of those things you just have to try out -- most people love it, but some do not -- so I think whether it's worth it depends on personal experience.

I love my Clarisonic Mia, so yes, I personally think it's worth it. I really didn't have skin issues (no acne as a teen, etc.) until I was in my late 20s -- at which point I started breaking out in painful cysts along my chin and jawline (I think they were hormone related). I started using the Mia about two years ago, and I don't think I've had a cyst since. I know acne cysts are pretty deep under the skin, but I think the Clarisonic cleans so well, it allows everything else you use, skincare-wise, to penetrate better. I have used Retin-A for years (for anti-aging), and I think that was rendered more effective for the breakouts thanks to the Clarisonic.

As cherrybombtastic pointed out, it can take a while to see the effects, so don't give up right away if you break out or don't see results right away. I would also start off using it once a day and see how your skin does. I use mine twice a day (sometimes only once if it's particularly dry) and my skin seems totally fine with that; it's not too drying or overstimulating.

cherrybombtastic

I have the Clarisonic for acne-prone skin, and I love it. It took a really long time before I committed to buy it. I think the biggest difference for me is that my skin texture improved by a lot. This is coming from a person who had a lot of cystic acne. I used to be a skeptic. I even went as far as using an electronic toothbrush because I had assumed it was practically the same thing, but it has made a tremendous difference. However, if you don't already have an effective skincare regimen, your skin will just improve and get bad, improve and get bad, and continue being inconsistent. That's from my experience. I use it once a day at night only. I started doing it that way and stuck with that. I'm sure everyone is different depending on their skin. I hope this helps and good luck!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 26 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • cherrybombtastic
    • evaann
    • fran11
    • floridab
    • miabt