Beesca21

Best toner for cleansing and exfoliating?

Hi, 

I want to add a toner to my skin care regime. 

I have oily skin

I would love to have a toner than smooths my skin but mainly helps balance my oiliness. I prefer them to not smell like alcohol. 

Also, I want it to be cleansing since I want to use it to clean my skin in the mornings. 

Any recommendations? 

Thanks! 

aviscardi

Re: Best toner for cleansing and exfoliating?

(0) Hearts

I can't recommend  a specific product, but i think if you are looking for a product to skip cleansing in the morning try a cleansing water. similar to a toner, it will remove traces of dirt and oils without overdoing it. 

DiVWA

(0) Hearts

I don't think toner should be used as a cleanser. I know certain cleansers claim that they cleanse and tone, with Philosophy Purity being one. But my impression is that cleansing with warm water opens the pores and that toners close them. So even the toner being part of the cleanser, I'm not sure how that can be true.

FWIW, I don't use toners that much. If I used them more often, it would only be on my oily T-zone. And it would be a gentle one like one of the Mario Badescu ones.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

I would suggest checking into Kate Somerville's Clarifying Treatment Toner:

Kate Somerville - Clarifying Treatment Toner

It's fragrance and alcohol free so it won't be harsh and strip skin of essential oils needed to maintain balance. Phytic acid (derived from plants) helps to improves skin's condition and naturally exfoliate to keep excess dead cell build up to a minimum. It also contains witch hazel, a natural astringent, that helps tighten pores and gives skin a boost of anti-oxidants. This is a great toner if you have oily skin and need something to combat that without drying out.

talinder

(0) Hearts

A product that should both cleanse and tone your skin and have no scent would be the Koh Gen Do Cleansing Spa Water. It's extremely gentle so it won't strip your skin and can even take off mascara. Another item that claims to be a cleanser and toner in one is Philosophy's Purity. I find it to be a harsh cleanser and quite chemical-y and alcohol-y, but lots of people swear by it.

TrysBeautyItems

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

A toner isn't meant to replace cleansing. If you aren't going to do a full washing, a face wipe would do, then using the toner.

Currently, I use Mario Badescu special cucumber lotion. It's not drying or stripping of natural oils, this is their mild version. There is alcohol, which I can be sensitive to, and this is not overpowering or no alcohol smell. They do have a few non-alcohol ones. On their own website, click consulting, fill out the questions, then it shows what products are recommended.

For ones at Sephora, Origins zero oil toner, Korres Pomegranate Toner. Both of these are meant to balance oily skin.

hshoo

I have used a million toners over the years, from high-end spa brands to pharmacy products, but always end up switching to a different one after I finish a bottle because nothing has really been worth re-purchasing. About a year ago, I started using Mario Badescu- Glycolic Acid Toner, and I can't rave about it enough. I recommend this to pretty much everyone, because glycolic acid is great for all skin types (though I would be hesitant to use it on really sensitive skin), and addresses nearly all skin issues/concerns. My skin has never been better!

This is very cleansing- the acid sinks deep into pores to strip them of any impurities. It is also ideal for evening out skin tone and texture. Primarily, glycolic acid is an exfoliator, so it will buff away any scars, red marks, fine lines, and uneven textures. It is also ideal for counteracting oil production, but also promotes cell-turnover, so it won't leave your skin dry and flakey like a lot of other oil-fighting toners. This will encourage new, healthy skin with each use! I use this twice a day, every day.

Another toner I use from time to time that I really like is Guinot Paris- Hydra Fraicheur Refreshing Toner. This is a spa brand, so a little more expensive. It feels and smells absolutely amazing. It is deep cleansing, but not quite as exfoliating as the glycolic toner. The Guinot toner contains lots of vitamins that get absorbed into skin, and is alcohol free, so it's very hydrating and refreshing.

DiVWA

I agree with the recommendation to use Mario Badescu toners. I use the Glycolic Acid one and it works great. Plus Mario Badescu is reasonably priced.

Koofa

(0) Hearts

Don't know about substituting a toner for cleaning so I can't comment on that, but Pixi Glow Tonic does both - tone and exfoliate. It doesn't contain any alcohol at all (smells kind of like actual roses to me, but that's my opinion). I have combination skin too and this doesn't dry it out at all or make it oily, I really like the way it works.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • aviscardi
    • lylysa
    • talinder
    • Koofa
    • Beesca21
    • TrysBeautyItems