Answer
katskeepnfaith
OIly skin, large pores. HELP!

I've never had great skin, and after trying every possible solution, I've about had it. Can someone please help me figure out my skin?!

I am 23 years old, with oily skin and large pores. I don't really get white heads, but have lots of blackheads because of my large pores and under the skin pimples. Although my skin is oily, it can be sensitive to certain ingredients and dry out quickly. I've tried everything from the dermatologist to drug store brands.

I'm currently trying the Clinique system with no results. Do I need to get away from the acne stuff and go to pore refining lines? I'm at such a loss!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 5
anaa
Answered

I agree that a clarisonic mia will significantly help with the blackheads.  I have always had a huge problem with them and since using the mia they have all but disappeared.  Perricone has a few products that I have had tremendous success with - glycolic cleansing bar, pore minimizer toner and now a pore minimizer lotion that make pores so much less noticeable.  Pricy but effective.  Benzyol peroxide was always too harsh for me and made my skin flaky and red.  The upside to oily skin is that you won't get wrinkles!  Good luck and I hope you find the right combination of products.

beautylovingirl
Answered

I can also tell you that I have looked alot on gylcolic cleansers for oily skin and large pores. It looks like a gylcolic cleanser is one of the best things that can help with skin like yours.

ilovetopurplefy
Answered

I feel your pain! I have the same problems as you do except I'm 17 years old. I have used dermatologist prescribed to drug store brands and none worked for me. I used the Clinique brand and it broke me out horribly and my skin got very raw and irritated from it.  I just recently bought a Clarisonic Mia and I love it. I suggest buying a Clarisonic. You can get any Clarisonic you want because they all work the same. They deeply clean your skin so that acne develops less often and your pores can get smaller from use. You can choose  from a range of different brush heads based on the sensitivity of your skin. I use the acne brush head for every day use, the deep pore brush once a week to really clean out my pores, and the sensitive and delicate brush heads if my skin is very irritated and raw. It's a bit pricey depending on which system you buy, but it is a great investment.

beautylovingirl
Answered

When you start on a program from your dermatologist you have to stay with it, your skin is going to get worse before it gets better. When you spend the time and money to go to a dermatologist you have to do just what they tell you to. It has to be consistent and not just here and there. It's not going to happen over night. The worse thing for you to be doing is to scrub and be rough on your skin. Your are going to make your oil glands go crazy and they are going to produce that much oil which is going to lead to more break outs.

pbcup04
Answered
(0) Hearts

OK, let me give you some OILY girl advice that has given me some help.  I have SUFFERED for several years with SUPER oily skin and adult acne.  First off, make sure that your thyroid and testosterone levels are checked....I know it may sound weird...but they may be contributing to your increased oil production and increased acne. (Unfortunately not so in my case.) Next, I would suggest ditching the Clinique.  i have NEVER had any luck with the Clinique line EVER. I would recommend using a combo of salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide products to fight you skin problems.  Sal. acid will unclog, clean out pores, and derease oil production.  Ben peroxide is antibacterial and will kill bacteria that cause infected pimples...even cystic.  The only cleanser that helped my cystic acne was Murad Clarifying Cleanser.  I use that at night and Dr. Brandt Pores No More (with sal acid) in the am.  This combo works the best for me...note both cleansers contain sal. acid.  Next, I use Dr. Brandt Blemishes No More Intensolution as a toner at bedtime only..it can be used 2 times daily.  I then follow with the combo product...LaRoche Posey Effaclar Duo...it has the Ben Peroxide and the Lactic acid all in one.  This product is highly acclaimed and recommended by tons of dermatologists.  In the am, I use Murad Oil Control Mattifier SPF 15 as my moisturizer.  Since sticking with this regimen....I have noticed a big difference in the amount of oil on my face and in the number of pimples.....very rarely do I have cystic acne any more.  Big investment in the beginning, but you will reap the benefits if you hang in there and stick with it.  Introduce 1 new product at a time for about 3-5 days to make sure you don't over-do it and to see if you have a reaction.  Best of luck!

Question Stats
  • 5 answers
  • 6 hearts
  • 5 in conversation
    • anaa
    • ilovetopurplefy
    • beautylovingirl
    • pbcup04
    • katskeepnfaith