Answer
bluegrrl
Can I use primer instead of moisturizer?

I have oily skin and like my routine to be pretty minimal in the morning.  Can I use a primer in place of a moisturizer so I don't have to keep piling products on my face?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 5
prosarab
Answered

Hi Bluegrrl,

I myself am super oily and for the longest time I refused to apply moisturizer on my skin, I didn't want it to feel heavy and felt like the less product I have on my skin the better. Well to tell you the truth, if you are using primer to keep your make-up on all day and to give a smooth finish, You are better off skipping the primer and using a moisturizer. Not only does your skin need hydration(even if you are oily you still need it, if anything you will produce more oil to keep your skin hydrated), but when the skin feels and looks hydrated your makeup will look great and last. Now there are definitely key benefits to wearing a primer, that maybe your moisturizer wont give. But in order for the primer to even work it needs to have moisture. So, here is what I recommend for you. What if you used a moisturizer that has some build in primer to it? Dior makes an excellent moisturizer, which not only hydrates but also fills into the pores and fine lines, so once the foundation is applied you have a smooth flawless finish. Another suggestion is to wear a foundation that has a build in primer. That way it is two in one and you can eliminate and extra product or step. Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions.

Happy New Year,

Sara B

Sephora Pro Artist

Dior Skin Perfect Pore Refining Perfecting Moisturizer, $65

Its a bit pricey but think of it like this, its your moisturizer and primer so you are getting a pretty good deal:smileyhappy:

Hourglass Veil Fluid Makeup Oil Free SPF 15, $60
Hourglass Illusion Tinted Moisturizer Oil Free SPF 15, $55

Both of these foundations work really well and have a build in primer. They also work absolutely amazing with combination skin and its super long lasting. (I promise, I use this and I love love love it)

makeupgirl456
Answered

You should wear oil-free moisturizer. Never skip wearing moisturizer even if you already have got oils on your face because your skin  needs moisture, and if you don't have enough, then your skin will bring more oil to your skin, and no person will oily skin wants that, because i know how it feels, I have very oily skin also. If you're wanting to use primer though, i'd use the moisturixer also. 

Hope this helped.

cherrybombtastic
Answered

You can try using Murad's Mattifying Oil-Control Mattifier SPF 15. It acts like a primer and moisturizer. I would suggest using this during the daytime and a separate moisturizer during the night time. I also want to add that a lot of primers have silicones in them, which clog pores, so it's not the best idea to use a primer with that ingredient, but the Murad doesn't have silicones, and it's good for acne-prone skin. I hope this helps and good luck!

kelligirl724
Answered
(0) Hearts

Another vote for Murad.  Right now I'm using Boscia oil free moisturizer SPF 15 and then applying Too Faced Primer.  I think it's called Poreless Perfection.  It's a great combo.  Also, make sure you moisturize at night even though you are oily!

dianabt
Answered
(0) Hearts

Hello bluegrrl, 

I second Sara and Cherrybombtastic's suggestions. Using an oil free moisturizers, all in one foundations or mattifying primers/lotions are great solutions to keeping oily skin still hydrated, but without feeling like you have on too many products. I have combination skin that tends to get dry lately and I definitely can understand you not wanting to feel like you have a lot of product on. I don't like that feeling either! 

The Murad Oil Free SPF 15 Mattifier made a HUGE difference on my skin  with how my makeup settles and stays on throughout the day. :smileyhappy: You may even want to try a BB Cream which is an all in one sort of product, typically oil free and with the same properties as a primer, moisturizer and foundation all in one. You can read more about the different BB Creams offered with Sephora here. Enjoy! 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
Question Stats
  • 5 answers
  • 11 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • charibear09
    • cherrybombtastic
    • bluegrrl
    • kelligirl724
    • prosarab
    • dianabt
    • makeupgirl456