waterbaby1981

working out

Making myself go to the gym this morning...Zumba class at 10:15 am.  There's another at 5:30 pm this evening, but I know myself.  I won't go if I wait all day.  I'll come up with a reason not to go.  Haven't gone for a while (over a MONTH!) because my knees are acting up, but if I *don't* work out, the ligaments and muscles surrounding them won't get stronger!  Motivating to go NOW.  Especially since I need to do some strength training to lose weight and watch what I'm eating anyway.  Sister's wedding is in two weeks and I want to be a couple of pounds lighter by then.  I can't gain any weight if I want to fit into my matron of honor dress!

Motivate me, everyone!

....and the endorphins after will make me feel good and accomplished too.  :smileyhappy:  Watch though...I'll be SORE after.  And tomorrow, when I do strength training.  Dan's 10 year reunion is tomorrow night.

pandapple6

Re: working out

Also, in order to eat a bit less then you normally do (not starving, but around 1200 calories like prettyinpa wrote), make a list of foods you want to eat that day that fit around 1200 calories and try to eat only the things on the list. Try eating things like fruits and vegetables as snacks instead of 100 calorie pack cookies, because honostly; the 100 calorie packs are the least filling thing I have ever eaten. Also, fruits and veggies are mostly under or around 100 calories. Hope this helped :smileyvery-happy: 

waterbaby1981

don't worry, I'm not exercising to fit into a dress in two weeks.  I know how in shape I was before I was pregnant and it's taken this long to feel good enough to go back to the gym (low vit D, low iron/anemia, PPD, losing baby, etc).  I've been walking and stuff, but I really wanted to go to the gym today.  It's not OMG major soreness.  I've still also got baby weight I'm trying to lose (still way overweight at this point), so I'm trying to do gym (hip hop dance, zumba, strength training) 4-5x a week.  I'm keeping a food diary and trying to eat healthy foods, but I'm definitely not depriving myself of chocolate!  But thanks for looking out for me, guys.  It's appreciated.  But yeah, the endorphins and how good I feel are definitely the major motivators.  I've found working out first thing in the morning is what works for me, unless it's hip hop in the evenings!  I just want to be as in shape as I was before and that's going to involve a lot of hard work.  I can do it!

katie1724

[ Edited ]

Use the endorphins -- how working out makes you feel (stronger, healthier, etc.) as a motivator, more than anything -- because assigning a numerical value is usually not a good thing -- and can lead to disappointment / fixation if you tend to be so inclined (maybe it is possible for some to do this, but I am biased). So many of us embark on a diet and fitness regimen with a specific goal in mind (a wedding, a reunion, a vacation, etc.) -- and unless you view weight loss as a complete lifestyle change in terms of how you view food and exercise, the results rarely last -- which is why dieting only works in the short term.

If you absolutely have to assign a numerical value / pounds per week, etc., be sure to have a realistic idea as to what is healthy -- and that truly varies for everyone, depending on your initial body weight and level of fitness. If you have a significant amount of weight to lose toward a realistic goal, then 2 pounds per week is fine -- but if you weigh within what is considered to be a normal range and are trying to lose weight for your own reasons, then 2 pounds a week is not realistic.

I also agree with prettyinpa about caloric intake -- really, watch this. I don't mean that in the way it probably seems I do: if you're exercising a lot, you have to make sure that you are eating enough -- otherwise, your body will go into starvation mode, you will damage your metabolism (seriously -- and it does not bounce back immediately) and it will be that much harder to ever lose weight in the future. Contrary to popular belief (that low-fat is always the way to go), to lose body fat, you need healthy fats such as the kind found in olive oil, nuts/seeds, coconut oil, butter, etc. Healthy fat keeps you fuller, too. Protein is also key because it stimulates the metabolism -- turkey and chicken are excellent sources of protein. Generally speaking (and others may disagree with me here) -- so many foods are marketed as "low fat" but really are devoid of nutrients; they're just empty calories with elevated levels of processed sugar. Unless you really like one of them, it's better to avoid low fat cereal, cookies, etc. -- and just have a smaller amount of the real thing.

Re: working out -- as prettyinpa said, don't overdo it! You will lose more time if you're sore and pull a muscle than if you just rested for a day / did a lower impact activity.

: )

prettyinpa

I think if you are getting really sore, you are probably trying to progress too fast. You don't want to risk damaging tendons and such, they can take a long time to heal, then you are totally down for weeks! (Personal experience here).  If you want to lose weight, adjusting your calorie intake works faster than exercise alone. Just don't go below 1200 cals per day, otherwise your body goes into starvation mode and makes it much harder to lose weight and it won't stay off. Losing 2lbs a week is a safe and sensible amount.

Try to keep your goals realistic, fitness is for the long haul, you should do it because you want to feel better for the rest of your life, not just to fit into a dress in 2 weeks.

Pandapple's suggestion of listening to music is excellent, I know that I wouldn't exercise as much if I didn't have my iPod!  Treat yourself to some new downloads as a reward for your good work, they aren't fattening, either!

Good luck, you are on the way to great health!

pandapple6

(0) Hearts

You should set a goal for yourself. Every hour you work out or someting, you should give yourself a dollar or something toward a new beauty product to reward yourself! :smileyvery-happy: Also, it helps to listen to your ipod when you go working out :smileyhappy: Don't push yourself too hard so you are sore the next day. Build up day by day how you work out like: 1/2 an hour one day, 1 hour the next, and so on and so forth. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 13 hearts
  • 4 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • prettyinpa
    • waterbaby1981
    • pandapple6