sparklekai

things kids will never understand

i was in a car with a friend of mine and our kids (boys, 10, 9 & 6) when the 6 year old said why do you say roll up the window?  You mean push up the window!  my 10 year then explained that "back in the old days" people actually had to roll the window up themselves!  

this got me thinking...what are some things that you have done/said/seen that these poor children will never understand?

yazmin

Re: things kids will never understand

(0) Hearts

I was in HS with the computer thing... I had a lot of writing but that explains my great penmanship. :smileyvery-happy: 

veronika23

[ Edited ]
  • Beta Tapes
  • Blowing into your Nintendo games so it would work
  • King's Quest 5 & 6
  • MRC and ICQ
  • Walkman and Discman
  • Taping your favorite songs off the radio... The timing had to be just right :smileywink:

jojobe

Hahahah Discman..my daughter saw some at the Goodwill and asked me what we used those for...OMG... this thread is cracking me up!

sparklekai

i have an old school nintendo and my son thought it was awesome that you just had to blow in the game to get it to work unlike the cds they use now!

veronika23

(0) Hearts

Haha nice!!!

pipsqueek1582

I love this thread! I remember most all these things!

SydBristow

Be kind, rewind.

Calling the operator for information.

Party lines.

Waiting a day to get your photos developed.

A cassette tape that sounds funny because it got left in the sun and deformed, or the tape breaks and is all tangled up in your player. 

Not having a cell phone and being reachable 24/7. 

Laserdisks.

No debit cards - paying by cash or check for everything.

Winding your wrist watch once a day.

Encylopedias.

Movies (like Star Wars) being at the theater for over a year.

Door to door salesmen. Vacuum cleaners, encyclopedias, insurance. 

Not being on a landline in a thunderstorm because the lightning could go through the lines.

The gas station checking your oil and cleaning your windows while you were getting gas.

Cursive writing.

Nothing being open on Sundays. 

Ordering something from a comic book or with cereal box tops then waiting 6-8 weeks to get it.

Pull tabs on cans that came off. Or opening big cans for juice (or motor oil) with the triangle puncture ome on both sides - one to pour, one to vent.

Super thick winter clothes where you couldn't move and everything itched. (newer fabrics do the job with less material)

killahbabe

Dot matrix printers

dot-matrix_printer_paper.jpg

I loved ripping the sides off of the dot matrix printer paper...

And if you went to school in the 90s...

OREGON TRAIL!

oregontrail.jpeg

DesertRose0706

I remember Oregon Trail!  Probably one of the first things I ever did on a computer! lol

malday

Haha yes! Our school had a "computer lab" with about 5 computers and one dot matrix printer in it. They would have to rotate who got to go to the lab and if you finished your work early you got to play Oregon Trail.

morganmay92

Vhs, dial up, walkie talkie phones, home phones (not many peopel I know have them anymore.) Cassette's.

malday

[ Edited ]

THOMAS GUIDES. My dad used to make me look up directions with those things for him! Or just testing roads and identifying certain landmarks. Now you can just use a maps application like nothing.

BeautyJunkie325

Reading a map period - what happens if your phone goes dead?  My dad made me learn to read a map at age 7, in the car, on a road trip after my mom got us lost.  Now I can find my way anywhere. :smileyhappy:

malday

I didn't know that a lot of people these days can't read maps! I asked a friend of mine to check google maps the other day without a destination entered and she looks at me and says "I can't read this map at all"...

I guess I got lucky since my dad always made me the navigator. I will forever remember the panic of trying to find the right page and grid square while already on the road lol.

lsp2005

I was cleaning out my car today and pulled out a map. My kids had no idea what it was. I explained that it was the gps before the  gps existed.  I pointed out where we lived and where other places were in comparison. They were amazed.

floridab

Does anyone remember drive-in movies?  I spent many Friday and Saturday nights at the drive-in.  Many fond memories.....

sparklekai

i loved the drive in!  i used to go with my best friend and her family as a kid and then with a bunch of friends as a teenager!  

nikki

I have one in my area, it's so fun.

malday

I still have two near my area! One shows double features of current movies and the other shows classics every Saturday.

DesertRose0706

[ Edited ]

i loved drive ins as a kid! it was always a challenge to get the radio tuned to the right station so you could hear the movie lol.   unfortunately the drive in theater here closed several years back :smileysad:

Plantgarden

Old school:

Knowing that Boston is more than a city,

Pink came with a Floyd,

Heaven has a stairway and a door,

And The Who is not a question.

"Turn it up"

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 102 replies