cutiecocolove

the great purge

anyone like to randomly look over their makeup collections and sort out things to give away to your friends, family, ect...? (ie 2 in the morning. lol.) its a win win for me because all the products i have bought that i do not like, usually my friends or family like and my family usually give me money or other products or jewelry (i am also obsessed over jewelry) and same for my friends. (but less money, its really awkward). do any of you guys do this? btw i need to stock up on make up. its at an all time low. any product recommendations? 

orkira

Re: the great purge

(0) Hearts

I give all my used makeup I ended up not wanting or realizing I'm never going to be able to use up before it goes bad to my SIL after I sanitize it.  I also give her unused deluxe samples and tons of sample packets.  I give my best friend a lot of unused full size products, deluxe samples, and sample packets I can't justify giving her used makeup like I can my SIL...lol.

As for product recommendations how about the Lorac Pro Palette, Bite Lipsticks or Lip glosses, and/or Tarte Blushes.  Those are some of my favorites right now.  :smileyhappy:

lilyyy

(0) Hearts

YES! I just got rid of all my Tarina Tarintino lipsticks to pave way for more buying. Here's my test: I twist up the lipstick, if it's brand new then I give it away.

wingatprsct

I wished I had someone to give my unused or lightly used makeup items.  I loved it when my son had a girlfriend and I could give her stuff.  None of my friends or my mom are into makeup like I am.  So I'm really excited about the TSB #5!

shapeshifter

Yay for TSB#5! I can't wait!

syritt

I'm constantly giving stuff that doesn't work for me to friends. I find it better than returning product because if it doesn't work for me it inevitably works for my friends with different coloring and skin types.

I kind of hate to say it, but Wantable has been pretty much the best thing ever. I've had the jewelry box for a couple months, and the intimates and makeup boxes for a month each, and everything I've gotten has been perfect or made a perfectgift. Definitely things I never would have bought myself, but great stuff at a really good price.

divagirl90

(0) Hearts

None of my friends and family are as into makeup as I am. I have a box of lightly used makeup & beauty items that I just want to get rid of but I have no one to give them to. I plan on donating my unused items that will never get used to a local women's shelter. I thought about doing the traveling beauty boxes but I don't have easy access to a post office.

warriorwitch

(0) Hearts

You could do swaps too. I thought about joining the TSBs but I don't feel I have enough samples and stuff to. Plus I haven't bought anything at Sephora yet that I don't like. XD

warriorwitch

I like to do that but I don't have anyone to give it to. My mom is getting to the point where she doesn't really wear much makeup (usually just foundation which is the thing I don't usually get cause I hate the feeling of most foundations, plus we are not the same coloring). I have one friend who likes make up but I gave her a whole bunch last time I went through my stash, make up and brushes which may not have been super high end (couldn't afford to shop HE at the time) but they were in very good condition and still decent products. I saw the inside of her train case a few months later and all the nice things I had given were in terrible shape, the brushes were dirty and the bristles were trashed from improper storage, many of the powders and eye shadows were broken and gouged. That's how I would expect a five year old's play makeup to look not a grown woman's. So I just can't bring myself to give her anymore, because even if its just something I got at the dollar store, its usually still a nice brand (I get pretty lucky finding the nicer drug store makeup at the dollar stores) and being cheap doesn't mean not taking care of your stuff. :/

Missie772

Oh no!!! That would be totally disheartening! I would cry. Lol. I wouldn't give her anything else if she doesn't take care of her stuff!

I have a friend who I gave a few Urban Decay eyeliners from the Loco Ocho kit last year (they were too soft and ran all over my oily eyelids). She came over to get ready to go to a wedding together and as we were getting ready, the purple eyeliner ran out (it matched her dress perfectly!) Anyways, she was like, man, this ran out... and threw it away. I was like, "What? How did that run out?" She went to the trash (thankfully nothing was in the trash can) and showed me the tip which was all the way down to the pencil part, saying "See, look it is all gone." I was like... you know you can SHARPEN the eyeliners right?

She had no idea. She always bought the automatic liners because she said she got more in that than the pencil liners. Apparently she had used most pencil liners and once the tip ran out, she threw them away!!! Including 3 of the Ocho Loco liners I gave her. Used for a few weeks and then she threw it away once the tip whittled down. Lol... I got her a pencil sharpener as part of her birthday present...

warriorwitch

Oh no! Its funny but not funny at the same time. XD Though that sounds like something that could have happened to me when I started with makeup (luckily I was introduced to regular pencils first XD). Good thing you showed her the light. Oh my goodness I bet she felt so silly when she realized. (Probably the same way I felt when realized you didn't have to apply eye shadow with your fingers lol.)

Missie772

[ Edited ]

Well, in the beginning, I thought you had to use the sponge applicators that came with the eyeshadow. And that you only use eyeshadow brushes when a palette did not come with a brush or applicator! Lol... we all made mistakes!

warriorwitch

The very first eye shadow I ever bought didn't come with any type of applicator. I was about 17-18ish at the time and way to embarrassed just about using makeup (as a tomboy) to ask for anyone's help or advice so I just assumed you were supposed to smoosh it on with your fingers.  Yes, I was queen of the raccoon eyes for a loooooong time. XD So when I got one that came with a little sponge applicator I was utterly dumb founded, like I had just figured out the secret of Atlantis.

divagirl90

(0) Hearts

I think I would cry (or at least cringe) if I saw someone throw away an almost full Urban Decay eye liner. That's like throwing away $20! lol

Missie772

I about cried too... I had only used 1 of the UD eyeliners out of the set of 8 and I sanitized and sharpened it so basically I gave her 7 brand new eyeliners and 1 almost new one. 

To think she threw away 3 of the eyeliners thinking they were out. And just think about HOW MANY eyeliners she has thrown out in her life before??? Let's say that she has been wearing eyeliner since she was 15... that is 10 years of eyeliners that are thrown away nearly full!!!

cutiecocolove

(0) Hearts

OMG! now i kinda want to go dumpster diving. lol just kidding. :3 ill buy my own. and a new pencil sharpener. any excuse to buy! :smileyhappy:

warriorwitch

Don't say it like that. XD Your making me want to get my eyeliners out and hug them protectively. LOL

Missie772

(0) Hearts

I do that as well! I purge and then end up with a bunch of empty space and then I feel the need to stock up.

I end up just giving it away to friends and family. Mainly my family. A have a certain friend who is a bit greedy, comes to my place and asks to take stuff. I said ok the first few times and now she is taking advantage of it. And I don't ask for money or anything and never once has she offered to pay for dinner or drinks or anything after taking the stuff. I started closing the door to the bedroom so she doesn't go in there, but she is ballsy and opens the door to go in there anyways...

glossyguru

(0) Hearts

All the time! When I don't like something, it goes straight to my mom! She gets so stuck in her makeup ways, she's so happy to get a chance to change it up!

Londonlover101

(0) Hearts

:smileyvery-happy: this is a great topic, I recently gave away a mascara, a cream blush and a lip gloss that I got it for free and didn't like, my friends love makeup and I do too but I wasn't into the bright colors, but they loved it, so, I think it's better to give your friends the products you don't want so they can use it, instead of throwing it out :smileyvery-happy:

wendyomgwar

I do this so much and I feel like I still don't have room!

I've definitely tried to cut down my beauty spending because I feel like my makeup is taking over my room! LOL

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 25 replies
  • 23 hearts
  • 15 in conversation
    • wendyomgwar
    • lilyyy
    • iknowitstoday
    • cutiecocolove
    • syritt
    • divagirl90