kenny

"The Age of the Blogger"

This morning I was being a bit reflective of my makeup collection over about the last  7 years. In this time many things have changed, not only my style but also the beauty industry. I think this has largely been due to the emergence of beauty bloggers. I think the beauty bloggers created accountability within the beauty industry as great products can much more quickly become popular, cult-favorites (Ex. UD Naked) and those with less than stellar products (many drug store brand 5 or so years ago) or shadier practices (Lime Crime) will quickly be scrutinized. I've noticed with these changes many brands are putting out bigger and better products. I remember when I was just getting into makeup, I really disliked drugstore brands after many terrible products and I was pushed into shopping at Sephora.

Also to go along with the changes, the wealth of beauty information online grew. Unfortunately when I first started out, there weren't great forums like BT, youtube was just starting out, and I didn't know anyone that wore makeup. I used to buy magazines to get my beauty info, which often recommended average products.

I guess the whole point of this post was just a realization of how much change has occurred in such a short period of time, and how much I really appreciate bloggers and forums like BT!

starletta8

Re: "The Age of the Blogger"

I adore the age of the blogger- I love that if I'm considering a purchase, a quick Google search will turn up numerous reviews so that I can get other opinions. I love my collection, but try to only make good buys.

kenny

(0) Hearts

It's so nice to be able to find numerous reviews and opinions on a product before purchasing, so I get things I know I'll love and don;t waste money. Although at the same time I think it exposes me to brands and products I might not otherwise see or think of, and makes me want to buy more!

clarks18

All the technology has really made the beauty industry step their game up.  I feel like products are better than they ever have been and more people are learning about different products that can help them with problem areas they may have.  You don't have to buy the magazines that just have one opinion.  That's why I like watching Youtube and reading BT for different peoples takes on looks or products.  BT and Youtube have really helped me better my techniques and have introuced me to a lot of great finds.  I lucked out having a mom who has always been into makeup.  I think I would be ok without all the blogs just from what I have learned from my mom, but I am sooo glad that we have access to all the different videos and sites.  It's just too much fun. 

janinebt

All of the YouTube channels I watch pretty much have a sole focus on either fashion, upcycling, or home decor. I've been into YT since the beginning and watched when 'the rise of the guru' happened.

I feel like a lot of them really do have a huge influence on the beauty community, however it's becoming more about promotions and unethical practices. There have been a couple of times when I'll watch a video that is a product endorsement. The constant rumors of gurus being paid by companies to push products is really obnoxious too. If you like something review it for free...being paid to speak on it is just bad rogue journalism. It's becoming more about making money and less about the actual act of tutorials.

If I had to choose a few makeup gurus that I really respect for their craft I'd have to say MissChevious and MakeupGeek definitely top my list. What I like most about these ladies is the simple fact that they're insanely creative and have stayed true to the theme of their channels.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
kenny

(0) Hearts

I know what you mean, I feel annoyed when it seems people are just endorsing a product. 

makeupmaven

I know MissChevious from a drum and bass forum from years ago (not personally), so cool to see her progress (we had a "girly thread" where we'd talk about stuff like this on a male-dominated, dnb forum)...

makeupmaven

Blogs, BT, and reviews (for all types of products) are so helpful! Since skincare/ hair is my job (and I've been with Sephora since 2003), I really care what people think of products, ingredients, trends, etc. The good, bad, ugly, it's all super valuable. Thank you all for making this such a wonderful community of smart, savvy people!

jellybean917

Absolutely! BT, and other similar sites, are great for people who struggle to find others to discuss their interests with! Only a handful of my friends are into beauty products, and they're definitely not as obsessed as me lol

These sorts of communities are so beneficial and caring - but with the good comes the bad. Although I've rarely seen it on BT, there are other online communities where bullying is prevalent. I hate online bullying! Luckily everyone here is so nice and helpful :smileyhappy:

I creeped around these boards, but didn't start posting until recently. It's so rewarding to be able to give advice to others and receive advice without feeling silly. Thanks everyone! <3

nebel

Agreed 100%

I remember when all we had was Livejournal and the fledgeling Makeup Alley! It was NOTHING compared to what we have now! 

nebel

Also, I totally didn't know about the Lime Crime Drama!  I just looked it up, CRAZY!  I remember her from back in the Mac_Cosmetics  LJ days like a decade ago (lol I'm old) and always sort of rolling my eyes at her HEY YOU GUYS LOOK AT ME I'M SEW SPESHUL posts, but this was way before her ethically questionable "company". 

I think blogging and internet usage is vital to the transparency of the industry, as you mention! Who could forget the outcry against Urban Decay when they announced they were going to be pursuing a Chinese market and thus abandoning their animal testing policy?  We all FLIPPED OUT, because we all learned about it from blogs. And UD decided to do the right thing because of the feedback.  

rikkie

Ahahaha, Livejournal was INTERNET DRAMA central around that time. I kind of miss watching people blow up for the most ridiculous reasons in lj_drama. I didn't follow any of this Lime Crime stuff though, I read a whole bunch this evening, I can't believe all the things that went on and that people kept buying from her! 

nebel

OMG THE LJ DRAMALLAMA! 

I remember LJ_Drama. 

Teenagers! On the internet! Yelling at each other! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!  :smileywink:

dianabt

@rikkie and @nebel OH THE LJ DRAMA I was always so amused watching people fight over using the same LJ icon (really there were millions just get another!!) and the ALL CAP SHOUTING that caused full on fights. hahahaah 

Thankfully none of that on Beauty Talk and we plan on keeping it this way :smileywink: 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
drrragon

LOL we could do an ALL CAPS DAY on BT so you guys can enjoy the LJ nostalgia!

kenny

I know, when you think about it, it is amazing how much power the internet has had, and how easily we are able to find out so much information about companies

Spyski

Such a positively fabulous post kenny!

I to did not have anybody to look up to when I was just getting into makeup years ago and YouTube wasn't there. Without the internet I think I'd look like a sun-dried extra pepperoni pizza face.

You always hear about the older generation like our parents and/or grandparents saying things like, "technology these days" and "if only we had that back when we were young". It's a weird feeling being able to relate to that in terms of the beauty industry nowadays for our generation assuming that you're in your 20s.

kenny

I know I would hate to imagine myself without any help from the internet. My skin would probably really suck, and I would have no eyebrows....

I find it crazy that we can use the phrase "back in my day...", since things have changed that much and I'm only just about to hit 20 (2 months!)

LCResz

[ Edited ]

Discussion boards have definitely helped me make more informed decisions, and before discovering BT I swore by MakeupAlley (another fantastic collection of honest reviews). 

That having been said, I wish there were more sites/boards for older women to get information. I find most blogs and YouTube videos are posted by teens and twentysomethings whose tastes and skin needs are literally from another era! I totally appreciate what young ladies have to say, but it would be enlightening if older women could perhaps shine a light and tell me about the do's and don'ts of aging gracefully, or how to hide some of the less graceful stuff :smileywink:

Spyski

I agree that there aren't many mature skin beauty bloggers out there, however there is a handful. I just did a quick search on Google and found many over 40, over 50, and a cute YouTube documentary about stylish pre-baby boomer generation women called Advanced Style. 

kenny

@LCResz, I think you just stumbled upon a brilliant idea. I think it would be great if more mature women embraced blogging, there is certainly a niche to fill!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 61 hearts
  • 12 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • kenny
    • dianabt
    • drrragon
    • janinebt
    • clarks18