kd006

Your limit

So I was just on the nordstrom website looking at their exclusive beauty products and stumbled on a La Mer product that I seriously could not stop dropping my jaw at.

It was their Ultra Rich Moisturizing Cream, and it's $990.00!!

I mean, I know La Mer is very expensive, but $1000.00 on a moisturizer?!

I practically had a heart attack just looking at it!

So, I got to thinking, what is YOUR beauty budget?

What is the top dollar you would pay for one item?

Is it $60.00 for a beautiful dior palette?

Or is it $250.00 for a Sk-II cream?

Or is it even $990.00 for a La Mer moisturizer?

I think mine would be $95.00 for the Perricone MD Blue Plasma.

I'm not afraid to drop a good dime on an amazing beauty product, but what is the limit for you?!

starletta8

Re: Your limit

100 is my skin care limit, I stop and think once the purchase price hits 50 otherwise

DoctorsMrs

[ Edited ]

The La Mer cream that Nordstroms has right now for $990 is limited edition and HUGE!  It's 8.5 ounces!!  I don't think I could use that up in a lifetime. The 1 ounce of the same product is $155. I've had my jar for over a year and there's barely a dent. It's super rich and you really need only a few dots at a time. I only use it in the winter. To me it would be foolish to buy the giant jar. I don't like the unsanitary nature of jar packaging to begin with so I always buy the smallest size. In the case of this cream- I'll probably end up throwing some away just because I can't use it all before it expires. 

To me price is relative. There isn't really a set limit. It's more about what I'm getting out of something. I'd say I'm pickier about repeat purchases. I'll try anything once, but it has to be pretty fabulous for me to purchase it again.

kd006

Thanks for your reply and thoughts on the price tag-

I more just was shocked by the price tag without even looking at the size. I just would probably cry spending $990 on a moisturizer, regardless of the size. Even if it did last me a lifetime, like you said, it's unsanitary. Unless you were to be sharing with a bunch of friends, but in that case, do you have 9 friends who want to split? Because I surely could not find someone in my friend circle to go in on a 1000.00 moisturizer lol.

DoctorsMrs

I thought that since the original post talked about La Mer Ultra Rich Cream I should also add this. For me, this isn't a repeat purchase. Since buying it two winters ago, I've gotten really serious about ingredients. I research everything in a new skincare product now before I buy. I know that a lot of you here take ingredients seriously too so I thought I'd post this:

Seaweed (Algae) Extract, Mineral Oil (Paraffinum Liquidum), Petrolatum, Glycerin, Isohexadecane, Citrus Aurantifolia (Lime) Extract, Microcrystalline Wax, Lanolin Alcohol, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Eucalyptus Globulus (Eucalyptus) Leaf Oil, Magnesium Sulfate, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed, Medicago Sativa (Alfalfa) Seed Powder, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seedcake, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Seed Meal, Sodium Gluconate, Potassium Gluconate, Copper Gluconate, Calcium Gluconate, Magnesium Gluconate, Zinc Gluconate, Paraffin, Tocopheryl Succinate, Niacin, Beta-Carotene, Decyl Oleate, Aluminum Distearate, Octyldodecanol, Citric Acid, Cyanocobalamin, Magnesium Stearate, Panthenol, Limonene, Geraniol, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Citronellol, Benzyl Salicylate, Citral, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Alcohol Denat., Fragrance

It's pretty amazing to see how many potentially harmful ingredients there are in the signature product of one of the World's most coveted skincare lines

nebel

I think the most expensive single beauty item i've ever purchased was the Balenciaga Florobotanica. I'm more likely to spend more money if it is for something in a set or a kit where you get more items, though.  As to the perfume,  I do wear it all the time and it is my most favorite perfume.  

DesertRose0706

The most i've spent on a single item is $65 for the Murad Hydro Dynamic Moisturizer.  I got a sample of it with an order and fell in love with it and knew it would be worth it.  IT's super moisturizing so I don;t need to use too much of it or use it all that often to keep my skin hydrated, so I definetely think it was worth it!

DoctorsMrs

That Murad Hydro Dynamic Moisturizer is some serious stuff. I think it could probably fix the driest of skins. 

jellybean917

If I had $990 to spend on a cream, I probably would (if I'd tried it out first and loved it). That being said, I'm a graduate student so I just don't have that kind of money. As others have said, I choose to spend the money I do have on beauty products.

I was talking to a coworker about how guilty I feel for already being qualified for VIB Rouge when it launches. He told me that's how much he spends on cable and going fishing. I choose Sephora instead of cable and fishing.

If we're being honest here though, I did buy Clea de Peau concealer at Neiman Marcus last weekend. I think a $70 concealer is my limit.

kd006

(0) Hearts

Oh yeah for sure! If I was a celeb making millions, I wouldn't even care about the price tag! Good point jellybean.

kalex

I start to feel twitchy around the $50 mark.  I splurged on a Cle de Peau concealer stick ($70) because of all the insanely good reviews I'd heard.  It is a great concealer, but when I get down towards the bottom of it I'm going to test out some less expensive alternatives to see if it really is worth it!

kd006

(0) Hearts

Let me know if you find dupes! I hear the cle de peau is amazing but it doesn't last very long, but I really want to try it!

jennypenny1995

"I start to feel twitchy".  SO perfect of a description!!

jennypenny1995

Can't put a number on it, but I recently treated myself to a YSL lipstick.  $35 or so is the most I've paid for my lipsticks.  But, it's been SO worth it!

kd006

(0) Hearts

I bought 2 YSL lippies the other month and LOVE them. Great products. Now I just bought one of their powder blushes and surprisingly, it isn't my favorite :smileysad:. I do love it, but not as much as others, because it has a very strong fragrance to it. But it's a beautiful color. Other than the strong fragrance, it's beautiful. They always go above and beyond with their gorgeous packaging.

michmo

For me, the most expensive single item I buy is my First Aid Beauty Facial Radiance Serum at $44.  I pretty much won't pay more than $45-50 for any single item.  

After all, If I'm spending $45 on lots of items--serum, foundation, moisturizer, etc it adds up fast.  

arielaaaaaaaa

That's the craziest thing i've ever heard. $990 on a cream. Really. 

On Makeup i don't splurge, at least in my opinion. I find products that works great for me that are super affordable. I use the Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation and that is probably the most expensive makeup item i use, since i'm not an eyeshadow or Mascara person. Skin care is a different story. It's completely normal for me to spend $50-$85 on one product alone. I would be hesitant to purchase just one thing that's over $100. Unless it is a supersized product. But if i had recieved a samples and knew i liked it i would most likely purchase. I always make my higher priced items last and since i don't go through them fast that justifies the price for me. The Clarisonic was just a must have, no matter the price it's one of the best investments i've made for my skin! 

kd006

(0) Hearts

I agree! Skincare is the place to spend your big bucks! Makeup won't help make a difference in your skin, it only covers. Skincare changes. So I totally agree on spending more on skincare vs. makeup... although I do splurge on makeup... I'm just a junkie. What can I say? :smileytongue:

rikkie

Ergh, I hit a mental wall when a price hits about $60-75. If it's something AMAZING I might be able to convince myself to go little higher but not much. I have a really hard time going over $100. 

Is that the La Mer super size moisturizer that is usually $1400 but on sale right now? I think my jaw hit the floor the first time I saw that thing, hahaha. 

kd006

(0) Hearts

It was the 8.5oz jar so yes it was a super size lol.

rikkie

(0) Hearts

I have a hard enough time getting through 8 oz of body lotion! Eek!

jinxski

Oh man, that's insane!

I think the most I could possibly spend is a good $200, but the product has to last me awhile if I'm dropping that much cash.

You're right, not afraid to drop a dime but oh it better be worth it!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 69 replies
  • 173 hearts
  • 31 in conversation
    • kalex
    • DTalksAll
    • emmaclaire
    • sephoralovex
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • wendyomgwar